TV News Today Big Weber Layoffs

The one thing I caught in an article about Weber's turnaround plan was bringing back manufacturing to the regions they do business in. It was stated something to the effect of NOT shipping grills/parts overseas. That's probably and upgrade to the US market. Weber is calling it "Make Where We Sell" which makes sense. The stocks jumped up some Monday after their recovery plan was announced.

Robots will build grills cheaper…

However, the broad shift might not be an outright win for blue-collar American workers. Increased capital spending suggests many companies could be looking to replace overseas workers with technology rather than with U.S.-based workers, according to Bank of America. Capital expenditures are often investments in equipment or technology that automate the tasks of workers.

“There’s no question that companies, when they bring jobs back, they know they’re going to be paying three to five times as much for labor,” said Harry Moser, the founder and president of the Reshoring Initiative. “Therefore they have to automate.”

North American companies ordered a record 11,595 robots, worth $646 million, in the first quarter, putting 2022 on pace to surpass last year’s record numbers, according to the Association for Advancing Automation.

“There’s no question that companies, when they bring jobs back, they know they’re going to be paying three to five times as much for labor,” said Harry Moser, the founder and president of the Reshoring Initiative.
Yeah labor MAY cost a bit more but shipping, fuel costs of such, time delays, supply chain delays and everything else? IMO it will be cheaper and easier to make stuff here

Yeah labor MAY cost a bit more but shipping, fuel costs of such, time delays, supply chain delays and everything else? IMO it will be cheaper and easier to make stuff here
I think manufacturers are more and more coming around to this way of thinking, though it’s been a long time coming.

That's about what they actually SHOULD cost not the $1500
Larry that is not what they should cost IMO, agree not $1500 but a 1000 new which sold for somewhere around 450 in the day would be at least 900 in todays dollars. That is one incredible deal though these big box guys and I think that is a lowes clearance sticker are not going to forget about having to dump this stuff at these prices next year when they re-stock. When they cleared out the Smokefires at give away prices they never stocked them again.

The one thing I caught in an article about Weber's turnaround plan was bringing back manufacturing to the regions they do business in. It was stated something to the effect of NOT shipping grills/parts overseas. That's probably and upgrade to the US market. Weber is calling it "Make Where We Sell" which makes sense.
So...kinda like how Weber used to be?

The chickens from the Weber sale a decade or so ago have come home to roost.

and the list goes on and on: https://insightglobal.com/blog/corporate-layoffs-hiring-freezes-2022-recession/

weird thing is, i have an ad for a spot we need to onboard and cannot get resumes or people to apply. insurance & financial services, office work, professional licenses needed. i'm guessing everyone is rich nearby and doesn;t need a job anymore?!?!?!?! i've never seen anything like the times we are in and i've owned my business for 15+ years now.
Target I know of pays $24 an hour to start and can't get people. Walmart truck drivers start at $110,000 a year.

I honestly can't figure out either why there's people that don't need jobs anymore...... But apparently there's a lot of people that don't need jobs.

Target I know of pays $24 an hour to start and can't get people. Walmart truck drivers start at $110,000 a year.

I honestly can't figure out either why there's people that don't need jobs anymore...... But apparently there's a lot of people that don't need jobs.
yeah, it's totally ridiculous now. everyone's rich and doesn't need a job. it all amazes me and makes zero sense.

Back