Tuesday Night is Wok Night!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Trying to increase our intake of lean meats and veggies in the New Year, and nothing is better for that than a good stir fry in the wok! I chunked up 50/50 skinless breasts and thighs, broccoli, mushrooms, bean sprouts, carrots and water chestnuts. All cooked up in my cast iron wok on the performer (note to self, when the weather is colder, add more fuel!)

Enough blabbering.....PICS!!

Wok ready after preheat:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAABfE/pj3SN5U0ung/w1118-h839-no/IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG

Chicken in:

IMG_0216.JPG

Chicken out, long cooking veggies in (broccoli, carrot, chestnuts):

IMG_0217.JPG

Second veggie "dump" (mushroom, bean sprout):

IMG_0218.JPG

.....and all done:

IMG_0219.JPG

Plated this up with some leftover rice that I cooked in our slow cooker (turns out a pretty decent steamed rice!) Said cooker, is currently percolating the carcass, thigh bones and wing tips from the chicken for stock.

I'm full! :)

Q on all!

Rich

RichG;
I am full right now, but that looks EXTREMELY good! I really want to run right out and buy a wok but storage is raising it's ugly head. I have run out of space to put neat "boy toys":rolleyes:. So, I guess I will have to wait on the wok.

In the meantime, I can surely enjoy the looks of your cooks!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks for all the nice comments, folks!!

@SteveM - I didn't know you could do it either until I was looking into ways to use ours more over the holidays. Found a recipe.....pretty simple. Rice to water ratio of 1:1 3/4, put into cooker with salt and butter as desired (I don't use either), cook on High for 1.5 hours. When I checked mine at 1.5 hours, there was still liquid left, so I ran it for another 20 minutes, and it turned out great. The rice has more of the characteristics of what you get when you order steamed rice from your local Chinese restaurant. I think that you also need to size how much you cook for your slow cooker (i.e: if you have a big one, and only cook a cup of rice with 1.75 cups of water, it may not work as well due to not taking up enough volume in the cooker....something I've found with other dishes.) I did 2 cups of rice, and it turned out fine.

Hope that helps!

Rich

Thanks Rich, I will try that tomorrow, does it matter if you use brown rice? I have a medium sized slow cooker

@SteveM - I haven't done brown rice, but based on stovetop experience, I'd say you are going to need to increase both your liquid, and your cooking time for brown rice. One recipe Google found for me for brown rice in the slow cooker says 2 cups rice, 5 cups liquid (water, broth, mix, etc.), and 3 hours on high. I like brown rice, too, so this one is on my list to try. If you try it, report back! :)

Rich

Looks great Rich! That wok seems to put out some tasty food. And a new tool/toy everyonce in awhile on the grill makes things fun.

Back