Try Again Beef Ribs

You did great.
With beefier ribs they will be better.
I have had trouble with the silverskin too.
I like plate ribs or whatever the name. You did not do wrong. Just need a little more beef on top will make them better.
Great cook. Best possible. And I bet that dog ain't complainin...

Ok, after enjoying my dinner, I can say that the outcome was good. Not great, but good. The meat was great tasting, the chew was good, not tough. It wasn't fall off the bone which I prefer, but bite off. Having this as the result in contrast with my first effort done on my grill, I'll definitely be looking for some good beef ribs as described above.

What wasn't so great was that my treatment contained too much salt on too little meat -- so it was salty, though still very edible. I'm anticipating another good meal tomorrow. The other issue was the very difficult silverskin. It was hard to get off to start with and I wasn't able to remove it completely which really affected the final feel. If there had been enough meat on the bone, I'm not really sure how that would have played out.

I hope this might be of some help to others. I did buy the wrong ribs (shiners or plate ribs), but thought the deal made it worth trying. It was, but could have been much better. My mistake kind of was precipitated by that first bad grill effort and not wanting to make a large investment on what I thought was something of a gamble. As we're always advised, go for the good quality meat. For my part, I should maintain confidence in my skills.
Hi Rich, find yourself a table to put your 14.5 on. You back will thank you for it. NICE RIBS!

Been there done that. My first attempt was with Shinners also, really kind of hard to be successful with those. Sure appears like you got the best results possible. Nice cook.

All in all, it was a great cook even if not perfect results. I really love the process and getting it right. Honestly can't remember the last time I had bad (throwaway) results. Or maybe that just means I'll eat anything. 😖. Though my thanks to the guy who so totally screwed up his first cook I got a near new 14.5. 😊

Not to worry, Tonto never gets left out.

Rich, they look really tasty. It took me several tries to get beef ribs right. Wild Fork Farms and Creekstone helped.

My nemesis is brisket. I just can't do it right.

Rich, they look really tasty. It took me several tries to get beef ribs right. Wild Fork Farms and Creekstone helped.

My nemesis is brisket. I just can't do it right.
I want to offer good advice, but truly can't. I learned here and, as it happens, brisket has been like pork butt for me -- it just works. Not that I didn't stay up many a night worrying and fussing over it. Mostly without reason.

Yep, I would love some real meaty beef ribs, but I can't find a decent price on ones that are not "shiners". Kinda hard to find a good price on any quality meat these days.

No...I should give that a shot though.
Tried to find the original K Kruger instructions briefly but no luck. Here’s a copy paste from one of my old posts. This should get you there.

——————

I use the same method as K Kruger and have superb luck - Only used packers 12-15lbs before.

Empty foiled water pan, brisket packer untrimmed fat side down, lid temp 325-350 for 2 hours and 15 min. At this point I go ahead and foil, leaving some room on the sides of the brisket for all the juice the brisket is going to give off, raise temp to 350-375. About 15 min shy of 4 hrs total cook time I'll start checking for tenderness (not temp), and when the prob goes in like butter I take her off, tent with foil, let sit for 30min to 1hr, and then slice for serving.

Full post link here

Last edited:
Tried to find the original K Kruger instructions briefly but no luck. Here’s a copy paste from one of my old posts. This should get you there.

——————

I use the same method as K Kruger and have superb luck - Only used packers 12-15lbs before.

Empty foiled water pan, brisket packer untrimmed fat side down, lid temp 325-350 for 2 hours and 15 min. At this point I go ahead and foil, leaving some room on the sides of the brisket for all the juice the brisket is going to give off, raise temp to 350-375. About 15 min shy of 4 hrs total cook time I'll start checking for tenderness (not temp), and when the prob goes in like butter I take her off, tent with foil, let sit for 30min to 1hr, and then slice for serving.

Full post link here
Thank you, Teddy! Much appreciated. I will try this.

Ever try high heat on the brisket cook?
Two points: Yesterday I found an old thread I had on my first HH brisket. It somewhat belied my comment above about brisket cooks just working for me, though my result while a little dry was still a very good roast as I said.

Second, after that I tried HH once or twice more, but it was on my grill which had no trouble maintaining the 300-350 temps needed. The results, while not being smoked (though smoke was "applied", were still quite good. I really want to do more brisket on the 14.5 despite needing some special actions like separating the flat and point to fit. And I want to try both low and slow and HH -- partially to get a personal comparison of the techniques.

One of the fun things about brisket is that you end up with a lot! (I did a flat once, but missed having the point meat too much to want to repeat.)

Two points: Yesterday I found an old thread I had on my first HH brisket. ...
It occurred to me that that old thread had a LOT of great analysis and advice from other members about how my HH effort came out dry. If you're going to try this @Tim Campbell , your might consider reading through it. I'm sure glad I went looking at my earlier posts.

Thank you for that, RichPB.
It occurred to me that that old thread had a LOT of great analysis and advice from other members about how my HH effort came out dry. If you're going to try this @Tim Campbell , your might consider reading through it. I'm sure glad I went looking at my earlier posts.

A side comment should anyone care. I started using RichPB in another forum where, after I used Rich for several years, someone else, whose views I didn't care for, started signing the same way. I didn't want any confusion so opted to change. (It was not here -- I love all you who are Rich 🙂). My initials are RPB. I started out on TVWB as richlife, but years when TVWB changed vendor, I asked Chris to set me as the sig you now see.

Back