Brisket rest

chris comer

TVWBB Super Fan
Guys Ive been using the WSM for almost 2 years now, with great success on pork products, chuck roll, and occasionally chicken. I've only tried brisket 3 times due to a couple of what I consider unsuccessful attempts. The first 2 I did were HH briskets and the were ok just a little dry. Yesterday I tried the modified brisket cook from the cooking topics, on the smoker for about 9 hours at 250 degrees, then finish off in the oven. This was the best one yet however still just a tad dry. What I noticed was that when going back for seconds and after the meat had set awhile it seemed moister. When cooking all 3 of my briskets time became an issue and I did not rest the meat,and to be honest I did not think it would matter. So is one of the keys to obtaining a moist brisket allowing it to rest? How does it then become moist? I check for probe tender so I don't think I'm over cooking them, if so can't be by much. Is the window between moist and slightly dry that close? Left the point to cook another hour and it was fabulous. Thoughts please.

Resting is critical, but you don't have to rest for hours. If you foil and cook until tender, you can rest in the foil for 20 minutes, then open the foil and let rest 15 more minutes. If you are slicing a hot brisket, the juices will not have had time to redistribute and the meat is likely to be dry when eaten. If you do not use foil and cook until tender, just tent the meat with a piece of foil for 15-20 minutes before slicing. Using defatted juice over the slices is a good way to restore some moisture.

Chris:

I do all of my briskets high heat and once taken off the smoker they rest in foil anywhere between 30 min to 1 hr depending on serving time.

Regarding your attempts so far, I have not done a low and slow so I can't compare to the outcome of those, but I have been VERY happy with the high heat results.

I use the same method as K Kruger and have superb luck - Only used packers 12-15lbs before.

Empty foiled water pan, brisket packer untrimmed fat side down, lid temp 325-350 for 2 hours and 15 min. At this point I go ahead and foil, leaving some room on the sides of the brisket for all the juice the brisket is going to give off, raise temp to 350-375. About 15 min shy of 4 hrs total cook time I'll start checking for tenderness (not temp), and when the prob goes in like butter I take her off, tent with foil, let sit for 30min to 1hr, and then slice for serving.

Give that a go and see how it turns out. Oh, and BTW I go really heavy on the smoke for the unfoiled time, like 6-8 chunks usually depending on the size of the chunks.

Back