Tri Tip Sauce??

Tim D.

TVWBB Fan
I am planning on doing my first Tri-tips this weekend. I never put any sauce on my steaks, but my wife does. Does anyone have any recommondations about a sauce that will go great with a Tri-tip once it's cooked? I don't know why she does that, but I gotta keep her happy:D Thanks for the help!

Tim

Steve Petrone's No. 5 sauce is EASY to make and AWESOME on trip tip!!!!!! It's in the recipe section under sauces. I Highly recommend it!!!

James,

Are you able to get the juice from the tips to add to the sauce? I know I've made this sauce for my briskets and have used the juice that was in the foil pan while smoking. Just wasn't sure if any juice will come from the tris to put in. Thanks for the help!

Tim

Bet if you can get her to just try it au naturel first that she wont want any sauce after that.

Bob,

As long as I BBQ it correctly!! I'll let her ruin her meal with a sauce but I'll ever-so enjoy mine :cool:

I like to make a horseradish type sauce. Recipe below, works very nice with all beef recipes.

1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
1-2 tablespoons prepared horseradish (to taste)
1 tablespoon dill weed

mix well and let flavors meld together for an hour or two

Tri tip sauce

1/2 c ketchup
2 TB white wine vinegar
1 TB Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp molasses
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp prepared chili powder (I used ancho)
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp liquid hickory smoke

Rub:
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp granulated garlic

Note: I do not use the celery salt in the rub as it was to salty for my taste.

BBQSauce.jpg

Wood Ranch makes the bomb tri-tip. They cook it for 18 hrs then finish it over wood fire. Anyway, this is their BBQ sauce. It's sweet and tangy.

Also, Trip-tip can take a lot of spice heat. I really have no idea how to make it, maybe a thin roasted habanero sauce.

Last edited:
Put my vote towards Au Jus. Why ruin the great Tri-Tip's flavor...

+1
Tri-tips have that classic big beef flavor - they're from the chuck. I like to keep the rub simple and I don't serve a sauce with them; I think the less you mess with them, the better.

+1
Tri-tips have that classic big beef flavor - they're from the chuck. I like to keep the rub simple and I don't serve a sauce with them; I think the less you mess with them, the better.
Dave, since you're from MN not CA, you are forgiven, but the tri tip comes from the bottom sirloin.:)
But I do agree with the rest of your statement.

Dave, since you're from MN not CA, you are forgiven, but the tri tip comes from the bottom sirloin.:)
But I do agree with the rest of your statement.

Ah, you are of course correct. Your forgiveness is appreciated.

Tri-tips aren't as popular around here as they are out in CA, AZ, and Nevada, but I think they're gaining some followers lately. A couple of grocery stores near me are carrying them regularly now. I think they're one of the (around here, anyway) most under-appreciated cuts of beef. I just cooked one up tonight, as a matter of fact. Got about half of it left, and I'll be pulling it out of the fridge tomorrow and cubing it up to put in some breakfast hash.

Hey Dave... Save a serving for me. Will be there by sun up ;)

Tried to get my 'usual' prime grade tri-tips for this weekend. All they had left were select.
So left them be. Much in need of a tri-tip fix... Breakfast sounds soooo good right now...

Last edited:
I always take a tri tip to cook for breakfast when I visit my daughter and family.
Not sure if it's the tri tip or seeing me that they look forward to the most.:confused:

IMGP4260.JPG

Back