TRI Tip $$$ nearly TRIpled

Those are about normal prices around here. I bought 2 gorgeous 2" thick prime NY Strips at Thuringer's Meat shop in Arlington Hts IL yesterday when I went to see my dad. Expensive?! OH YEAH but so gorgeous I coulda ate them raw right outta the case. $17.89 per lb!

Those are about normal prices around here. I bought 2 gorgeous 2" thick prime NY Strips at Thuringer's Meat shop in Arlington Hts IL yesterday when I went to see my dad. Expensive?! OH YEAH but so gorgeous I coulda ate them raw right outta the case. $17.89 per lb!
OMG, I haven't been there in years! I worked right down the street from there in high school stuffing newspapers all nigh on the weekends. Arthor ave. Have you eaten breakfast at Mr. A'S? Been a while for that one too. I have never cooked or even seen a tri-tip.... one of these days. Larry im a native Arlington heights guy born and raised there and now live in Barrington as you can see I havent traveled far.

Lol. Hard to find at all in Fort Lauderdale. Sometimes, but very rare. And LMichaels, I think I paid $17/lb for the last big section I bought and it was painful but rewards well over time. Especially when cooking for my folks. I can’t tell them what I paid or it ruins the meal...

OMG, I haven't been there in years! I worked right down the street from there in high school stuffing newspapers all nigh on the weekends. Arthor ave. Have you eaten breakfast at Mr. A'S? Been a while for that one too. I have never cooked or even seen a tri-tip.... one of these days. Larry im a native Arlington heights guy born and raised there and now live in Barrington as you can see I havent traveled far.
I don't live in AH. Never have. My dad does and my late sister and BIL do/did. My parents moved there after my dad retired in the early 90's. My sister and BIL did as well. She was still in early remission from first cancer bout. So when my parents retired they wanted to be closer to her as she needed a lot of help back then. Of course as time went on, despite being told that due to damage from the cancer and treatments she could never have kids she managed to have not one but 2 boys. So it was also nice that the boys were close to grandpa and grandma. So Thuringer has been the "go to" spot for excellent meats for them since then. When I go in to see dad (mom passed away about 5 years ago and he still lives alone at 93) I stop on my way to see him since he lives right off Arl Hts Rd. just north of Palatine. About 3 doors away from that guy who shot those 2 armed robbers that broke into his house and is a cousin of that comedian named Managalsco or whatever. My sister lived about 2 miles north right by Ar Hts Rd and Golf Rd. We're coming up on a year since losing her. Her husband is going to be selling that house though and moving to Mundelein IIRC.
Anyway it's how I came to know about Thuringer.

Wow, I used to provide funds to the Arlington race track back in the '80s.
I grew up in Mundelein and my mom still lives in the house they bought there 50 years ago.

Gerry

I used to play 2 hand touch (aka push and slap em as hard as you can) back in the late 80’s for Eddie’s of Arlington Heights!
But back on Jim’s topic... Ouch, that’s pricey but beautiful!

Wow Mr. Lampe! I live in San Diego and this week Vons has choice TT untrimmed on sale for $4.97 lb. Normal now days, about @5.97 to @6.97 per lb. Not to long ago I was paying $2.99 lb on sale. Savor that TT.

Bill

Wow Mr. Lampe! I live in San Diego and this week Vons has choice TT untrimmed on sale for $4.97 lb. Normal now days, about @5.97 to @6.97 per lb. Not to long ago I was paying $2.99 lb on sale. Savor that TT.

Bill
Bill, you’re in the land that INVENTED Tri Tip, it should be inexpensive there...
today, I found quality 6 bucks per pound LESS than I spent yesterday!

4DC02D8E-2242-4867-A040-BE1F978E53E6.jpeg
2DC77A3C-25BA-4B64-B480-224FD9E98C0E.jpeg

so, as much a fan as i am of Ray’s Butcher Shoppe, I will be spending my Tri tip dollars at Festival Foods! eet.gif

Nice find!
The closest Festival Foods to me is just across the state line in Kenosha.
Dang it Jim, now I have take a ride up there!

Tri tip prices are seemingly all over the map in San Diego.

I just got back from Stater Brothers to pick up some baby backs and saw that tri tip was 6.99/lb

I cooked up a Choice tri tip from Siesels (local specialty butcher) in July and it was 14.99/lb

My son works at Whole Foods and before his employee discount, it was 12.99/lb

I keep track of all my cooks, including cost. Back in Feb/2020, it was 10.99/lb at Siesels

August/2019 it was 4.99/lb at Vons

These are all trimmed prices.

We used to get ours at Earth Fare and danged if they didn't go out of business!
Still looking for a new place to get TT!

Back