Tri Tip Like a Brisket on a ceramic

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I used my Kamado for this one.
Ran it at 250, foiled with bbq sauce and a little apple juice when it hit 150, then took it to 190.
Not my first time doing one like this, nor my last.

Sweet cherry and pecan for smoke.
Before it goes in the foil:

Cook time 4 hours.

No dinner shots, here's a lunch one:

And breakfast with a potato chip and cheese omelette:

Last night's thighs on the Performer:

Thanks for the look see!
PS, I've given in and have been using my cellphone for cook shots, so much easier to do now that I'm using Flickr.

I am genuinely curious as to why you would cook a tri tip this way. Obviously, you've done it before and you liked it. So, I'm curious about a bunch of things: 1) Was there a fat cap on it? 2) Was it dry? 3) How's the flavor and texture affected?

I am genuinely curious as to why you would cook a tri tip this way. Obviously, you've done it before and you liked it. So, I'm curious about a bunch of things: 1) Was there a fat cap on it? 2) Was it dry? 3) How's the flavor and texture affected?
Why? because I can. :p
!- yes, it was untrimmed, but I removed most all of the fat.
2- not any drier than a brisket flat without the point, at least the ones I've cooked.
3- flavor and texture are great, very brisket like.

There's just the two of us and a whole, or even half brisket, is too much meat without guests coming.
Here's my first one 5 years ago.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?42...Dueling-Bubba-s-style&highlight=bubba+brisket

That looks great Bob, love the idea. Barb and I love TT and we can find it usually in the dog food section of the meat department at half off. Have 2 or 3 in the freezer all the time. Will definitely give that a try next time we make one.
With it being just Barb and me we only do a brisket on smoke day. The left overs last us till the next smoke day. I still have two frozen points to make burnt ends with.

That looks amazing Bob. I'm always taken by your smoke ring. I swear, I believe you could get a gorgeous smoke rink on a hot dog!

Thanks all!
That looks amazing Bob. I'm always taken by your smoke ring. I swear, I believe you could get a gorgeous smoke rink on a hot dog!
Cliff,
I think it's the humidity here.
Donna Fong mentioned the big smoke ring they got in Chicago due to high humidity.
I know some say Kbb gives a good smoke ring, but this cook was all lump.

Thanks all!

Cliff,
I think it's the humidity here.
Donna Fong mentioned the big smoke ring they got in Chicago due to high humidity.
I know some say Kbb gives a good smoke ring, but this cook was all lump.

That makes sense Bob. Our humidity here is anything but high. Got down in the single digits over the weekend. Thanks.

Interesting Bob, I would never have thought to do that with a TT. Looks tasty and dang, what a smoke ring.

That tri-tip sure looks good. Doubt I'll ever cook one that way, but nice to see your take.

My daughter and her husband just bought a Kamado. They love it.

I've never done a slow cooked Tri-Tip, but that's going to change. Thanks for the inspiration

Ok, that's not what I expected to see, but damn it looks perfect now that I have seen it. It strikes me that the texture of the fibers would offset the lacking of inter-muscular fat, so I suspect it could handle a bunch (made obvious by this). I am a bit jealous that we tend to only see chunks of tritips around here.

Alright Bob! You’ve done it again, one more thing I “NEED” to do! If you don’t cut it out, I’m going to gain back all the weight I lost! That looks like a great cook!

Why? because I can. :p
!- yes, it was untrimmed, but I removed most all of the fat.
2- not any drier than a brisket flat without the point, at least the ones I've cooked.
3- flavor and texture are great, very brisket like.

There's just the two of us and a whole, or even half brisket, is too much meat without guests coming.
Here's my first one 5 years ago.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?42...Dueling-Bubba-s-style&highlight=bubba+brisket

So, it's a brisket substitute with Tri Tip. I think we should call it a Trisket!!! Thanks for entertaining my confused mind. I've never seen that way of cooking a tri tip before. I always learn good stuff from you! Thanks!!!

Back