Tri- Ranch Kettles!!!

CHill

TVWBB Member
On our way home from our weekend trip to Michigan, my wife and I stopped by Weber Grill in Lombard, IL yesterday. As we approached the entrance, out in front was this open trailer they used for catering, and there were 3 large Ranch kettles looking back at me. This was the first time I have ever seen them up close, and man are they big. I tried to explain to my wife how awesome and rare they are... but she couldn't care less as the smell of smoke was luring her into the restaurant..... so I thought you guys would at least appreciate a pic of them ;) also added a pic of my wife and son by the giant kettle out in front.

Bet that was fun. If we did more entertaining, I'd consider a RK, but I think for now I'll just continue to admire the cooks of others who've taken the plunge

Definitely rare to see three of them together. I was almost there though, only got up to Two and one half. ;);)

IMG_20160530_150827.jpg

have downsized since then, giving one to my SIL.

Interesting to see 3 together. How was the food? That pic makes me wonder if I could manage cooking on 3 ranches on my own....

You know, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone all have their high points but I think you just witnessed a true natural wonder.:)

I'd like to visit one of those restaurants... the big kettle is much too necessary. Any home should have one in its backyard ;)

Cute wife & kid - so what'd you get at the restaurant?

I actually got a chef/charity special. It was Angus beef mixed with sausage, pattied into a buger, topped with 2 slices of pork belly with some BBQ sauce. Was super delicious. Wife just got a 1/2 lb Angus burger. Also had brisket chili as an appetizer, was more like a stew but fantastic nonetheless. Instead of bread as a pre-meal, they served a cheese spread with pretzel bun/rolls which was extremely tasty. I have some pics on my phone I will upload and post later today

I should have gotten pics of the kitchen, it's an open air style kitchen where you can see them cooking on the RK's. They also use a hardwood lump to cook on, it was in a brown bag but couldn't see the brand. All of their chimneys were sitting on a gas burner, which makes sense. I should add that all the Ranch Kettles on the inside of the restaurant, are all Stainless, and not black... idk if they ever made stainless RK for consumer use

I should have gotten pics of the kitchen, it's an open air style kitchen where you can see them cooking on the RK's. They also use a hardwood lump to cook on, it was in a brown bag but couldn't see the brand. All of their chimneys were sitting on a gas burner, which makes sense. I should add that all the Ranch Kettles on the inside of the restaurant, are all Stainless, and not black... idk if they ever made stainless RK for consumer use

Those RKs are custom made and very heavy duty.

They use briquettes at the St Louis WG.
The one on the corner of the table looks very much like the new Weber stuff, large and puffy.
But I took the pic a year ago, so I'm guessing the maker branded some for Weber.

h8LwFys8k49aUInMcDBoNcnF-n_JZ08W_MvQux5Dqj9DH0kVjTX-w79odO99msOO8tEHHds-Zlsi3HuaE8VfQMNeexOt7gkBNToSUmoDtIJK375wp16tujybORIcYcW4M-UftU_HKkk2MDEzPfK8-ud2FEsXeEXMp0hZtbVILki_ZIn9y91wYhsREipTwCi43HkWCLBMlnL9SZgjrS8taF3HcLaahz2hUd_gUnbjTTU-lr84nKqV4_DdzSNHxJEBE7WVr_3euAC2iOYfG9SMeYli7sWjBl7bfusPGWtjrY5FbgC_FIcElXnFccZKuIXAT2_ChVFAz7NfrJ4N2btyR_Wg77InYpkMhoKobBBqFfWPY66KSiGhUVlTpw4bDAOK35GRZrWIlCVWm-TfVQtue2Q29lPyroEPimmkP8LSMBDD1GiVkP2ztGZTuTWukiCdfVtx3i3mbJXMMK80zyAs8DV0FufHG-VLwid-JLMh5i6_4POaBSAS-GZLKQS9-DhLM6jNNwBxNkLj0dkEwZAYBNCOJY4QSaPWIuJyPfaefx6_WVwl6tfbiKxr3mRhMX6sL8f3FktNlM65JyG8tAxF6WxpP5UAbk5PhvU94jkALXALb1szpw=w1204-h677-no

Definitely rare to see three of them together. I was almost there though, only got up to Two and one half. ;);)

IMG_20160530_150827.jpg

have downsized since then, giving one to my SIL.

Whats the small grill on the right side of the picture? It looks like it might be a 26" on a ranch frame. I can see the mounting points for the tubular legs.

***Edit*** Just found the post on the construction of the grill.

Last edited:
Whats the small grill on the right side of the picture? It looks like it might be a 26" on a ranch frame. I can see the mounting points for the tubular legs.

***Edit*** Just found the post on the construction of the grill.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. Calling it the MiniRK. I'm still working on it, trying to go with a no drilling, drop in version.

Back