Transporting Baby Backs

JoeF

Taking some ribs on a trip but am not sure if the place we are staying has a grill to reheat the ribs. I was going to smoke em at home, foil, and refrigerate them for the 7 hour drive. I was just wondering the best way to reheat them in an oven just in case there is no grill at my disposal. Also I was wondering do I sauce them before I take em off the Weber or sauce em when I reheat em? Btw I will be rubbing the ribs as well. Thanks for the help in advance.

I'd probably completely cook the way I always do -- included sauce if that's what I normally do. If all you have is an oven you could wrap in foil (take some with you) at 200* until warm. If you have a cookie sheet you could then tighten them up on the sheet to get them where you like them.

Haven't tried this with ribs, but with pork steaks and CSPRs I put them in a casserole dish with sauce on the bottom, lightly sauce the meat on the top, then cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven at 170 degrees. Meat is tender but not mushy (depending on the texture when you take them off the grill!) and ready to eat. Basically not too far off from Dwain's recommendation...I've just not "tightened them up"...but definitely worth trying Dwain's way! Bark is good!:)

I ALWAYS smoke more ribs than we can eat just so we can re-heat them later. They are very nearly as good as just off the smoker. My wife puts another layer of BBQ sauce on them and heats them in the oven until the sauce is, as Dwain stated, "Tightened up".

Good eating!

Dale53

Thanks for the help guys. Also one more question. I know I sound like a noob but what is meant by "tightening up" the ribs?

My version is to reduce the moisture in the sauce leaving a another savory layer on the ribs. Said another way, to bake the sauce on the ribs.

FWIW
Dale53

Joe,

I always have leftover baby backs, too, and when I let the guest take them home I wrap them in foil and tell them to reheat them, in the foil, at 350 until they are hotter than warm, about 20 minutes, then open the foil and heat another 5 minutes. It's the way we do them in our home and they are loved. Just a suggestion.

Back