Totally Unscientific Observation of the new Kingsford Charcoal if it is the New One

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Well I got a chance to try the new, if it is the new Kingsford. Picked up some of the 18.6 lb. bags at Home Depot yesterday and used it in my SJ last night to give it a try.

Here’s what I observed
It was fairly windy but nothing I don’t deal with all the time.
Used my new smaller Weber chimney and the performer to light it off. Full chimney.
Same amount of white smoke as the old.
Seemed to heat up about the same, maybe a little slower.
Cooked a couple of top sirloins on the SJ, new stuff didn’t appear to put out as much heat. Had to add another dozen or so coals to get a good hot fire. But have to factor in the wind.
Once it was going seemed to last about as long as the old.
Overall not much different, if any at all.
I’m sure someone will use it in there WSM soon and we’ll get a better idea of any changes.

That might be why there is nothing on the bag declaring the new and improved Kingsford because there really isn’t much difference.

S1031692_zpsrt9oh3iq.jpg

S1031694_zpsdozzwqcj.jpg

I got some KBB at HD yesterday also, while it was on sale. My store had multiple pallets of the 2014 briqs. These are the ones that say "Thrill of the Grill" on the bag (in my area anyway).

The newest ones say "Ready 25% Faster: Keeps the BBQ Going Longer"

kfd-product-page-orig-2.png

It sounds like you may have gotten leftover stock, like I did, but I didn't mind...

Last edited:
Thanks for your test Rich!
More info at FAQ on Kingsford's site, scroll down to the Original style:

https://www.kingsford.com/faq/

Here's what Kingsford has to say about the new stuff:
[h=3]How does a lighter briquet burn as hot and as long as a heavier briquet?[/h]The weight of the briquet is only one aspect of performance. While Kingsford reduced the weight of each briquet, we added wood char and increased airflow. That extra wood char provides the heat and cooking time grillers want. The increased air flow helps the briquet get to cooking temperature faster.

I am curious to see if they give off the same amount of ash.
It gives off slightly less ash. I did a test burn last weekend and I'm doing the write-up as we speak. But to give you an idea, 100 briquets of 2014 K produced 5-3/8 cups of ash weighing 15-5/8 ounces. 100 briquets of 2015 K produced 4-7/8 cups of ash weighing 14-1/4 ounces.

Not a huge difference, but a difference.

I didn't realize that there was new Kingsford out until reading this. I just bought some about a month ago and from seeing the example bag posted above I bought the new stuff. I did noticed the ash was less, not much but less and that the WSM seem to run a little hotter than normal so I am guessing the new stuff burns a little hotter.

Looks like the new charcoal in the comparison has 2 grooves molded into it as opposed to the earlier version that has a K groove configuration. Would that speed up lighting it?
Old and new versions both have "K" imprinted on one side and two diagonal "Sure Fire Grooves" on the second side. This can be seen in the two photos where the charcoal is shown next to a yardstick.

Chris;
I read your rather thorough test and am impressed.

Thank you for the results. Me, I'm not at all unhappy with the changes. It appears to me that Kingsford is answering some of the previous complaints about "stuff" in the briquettes and have reduced the "stuff". Of course, you cannot please all.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Just for fun, I want to present a cynic's view of the new Kingsford. Here's some things I noticed from Chris' review.

1. The new briquettes have deeper and wider grooves than the old briquettes. They could weigh less simply because there is less briquette there.
2. A grooved briquette takes up about the same volume in a bag or chimney as a solid or slightly less-grooved briquette, so 100 briquettes of new Kingsford might weigh less than but take up the same volume as 100 briquettes of old Kingsford not because of a formula change but because there is less charcoal there.
3. Your test proved that 100 briquettes of new Kingsford burn out more quickly than 100 briquettes of old Kingsford. Again, this may be because there was less charcoal to burn.
4. The same volume of new Kingsford weighs 93% as much as old Kingsford (your weight of 100 briquettes each showed 94%); your measured ash was over 91%, a minor 2% - 3% variance. Again, this can be explained by less charcoal and not a new formula.

I would be interested in how Kingsford changed the formula. When I was a paint representative, they would change brands of thinner and declare a new, improved formula even though it was basically the same product. Every visible change in the characteristics of new Kingsford can be explained by less charcoal per briquette. Even if it burns hotter, that can be explained by the difference in the grooves (as they advertise for faster lighting).

Not trying to start a flame war, just playing devil's advocate. I don't think there will be much difference and I will continue to use Kingsford as long as it performs well for me, and I don't see why it wouldn't. Just giving the black helicopter point of view.

Lew;
I would be the first to say that you may have something there...

At any rate, as long as the sales continue I will be a fan, no doubt...Not entirely because of the price, but because I get excellent results. If those results continue with the "new" Kingsford, I'll stay a fan...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

The new briquettes have deeper and wider grooves than the old briquettes.
I didn't use calipers to measure the grooves, but as I wrote in the article, to my untrained eye the shape and size of the briquets seem the same. If you're drawing this conclusion from the side-by-side photos in the article, it may be a function of lighting/shadows.

In my correspondence with folks at Kingsford, I've learned that there can be variations in the thickness and shape of briquets depending on the composition of the material (those containing more wood char "spring back" more after stamping) and depending on how worn-out the press wheels are. There will always be some variation in the shape and thickness of these little charcoal biscuits.

As for no formula change, I'm not big on conspiracy theories. (insert black helicopter "thwoping" sound here :) ) With the 2006/2010/2015 versions, K acknowledged adding more wood char to the mix in press releases, in website FAQs, and in conversations I had with K R&D staff. With the 2006 version, they acknowledged taking material out of each briquet by adding Sure Fire Grooves. With the 2010 version, they acknowledged taking even more material out by making the grooves longer and by making the "K" and groove impressions deeper. With the 2015 version, they're saying there is "more airflow" in the briquets, which might mean less densely packed material—and therefore less material in each briquet.

But each iteration is a balancing act: Using more of this ingredient, using less of that ingredient, adding or changing grooves to create more edges for faster lighting, while trying to maintain close to the same amount of cooking time as with the previous version.

To me, the more interesting question is why do they keep tweaking the product? I assume it's a combination of factors:

• Maintain dominance in the charcoal business through continual product improvement
  • Compete more effectively against gas grills with briquets that light faster/ready to cook sooner
  • Respond to customer preference for more "natural" products like wood char vs. coal (K Competition Briquets and the new K Lump Briquets are a clear move in this direction)
  • Maintain/increase profitability by adjusting the formula as the price/availability of ingredients fluctuates
  • Use more wood char/less coal to meet Clorox corporate environmental goals (environmental benefits were claimed as part of the 2010 formula change)

yea, not a fan at all. I stopped using kingsford shortly after their first change loooong ago. the smell stunk and whatever they were using left a very gritty/sandy ash and more of it. and you can't tell me that was wood. they only change to save themselves money.

First of all, welcome back George! You've been away for a while, glad to see you posting.

Have you ever tried Kingsford Competition Briquets? Just wood char + binder with the slightest touch of borax as a press release. Light, fluffy ashes. Available at Costco in twin-paks, sometimes on coupon sale during the grilling season.

I didn't use calipers to measure the grooves, but as I wrote in the article, to my untrained eye the shape and size of the briquets seem the same. If you're drawing this conclusion from the side-by-side photos in the article, it may be a function of lighting/shadows.

In my correspondence with folks at Kingsford, I've learned that there can be variations in the thickness and shape of briquets depending on the composition of the material (those containing more wood char "spring back" more after stamping) and depending on how worn-out the press wheels are. There will always be some variation in the shape and thickness of these little charcoal biscuits.

As for no formula change, I'm not big on conspiracy theories. (insert black helicopter "thwoping" sound here :) ) With the 2006/2010/2015 versions, K acknowledged adding more wood char to the mix in press releases, in website FAQs, and in conversations I had with K R&D staff. With the 2006 version, they acknowledged taking material out of each briquet by adding Sure Fire Grooves. With the 2010 version, they acknowledged taking even more material out by making the grooves longer and by making the "K" and groove impressions deeper. With the 2015 version, they're saying there is "more airflow" in the briquets, which might mean less densely packed material—and therefore less material in each briquet.

But each iteration is a balancing act: Using more of this ingredient, using less of that ingredient, adding or changing grooves to create more edges for faster lighting, while trying to maintain close to the same amount of cooking time as with the previous version.

To me, the more interesting question is why do they keep tweaking the product? I assume it's a combination of factors:

• Maintain dominance in the charcoal business through continual product improvement
  • Compete more effectively against gas grills with briquets that light faster/ready to cook sooner
  • Respond to customer preference for more "natural" products like wood char vs. coal (K Competition Briquets and the new K Lump Briquets are a clear move in this direction)
  • Maintain/increase profitability by adjusting the formula as the price/availability of ingredients fluctuates
  • Use more wood char/less coal to meet Clorox corporate environmental goals (environmental benefits were claimed as part of the 2010 formula change)
I did base the "deeper/wider grooves" on your pictures. I didn't say no formula change, I suggested that sometimes companies make a very minor change and call the product "new and improved." I'm not saying that's what K did, I was just wondering how they changed it (how much more wood char, what did they take out, etc). Whatever the reason, I don't think they would make a change to the formula that would result in a real or perceived decrease in performance. As I have said before, I prefer Stubbs or other "all natural" briquettes but usually use K because it's half the price at the sales. Even considering price, I wouldn't use K if I didn't think it was a quality product.

Last edited:

Back