Tonight's cook: roast beef

Looks great. More details please. Cut of meat, grill temps, meat temps, times?
It was beef "top round oven roast" that was on sale. I used 2 full baskets and one piece of hickory on top of each after the grill was warmed up. Took roughly 2 hours, I set a 45 minute timer on my watch and sprayed with acv/honey mix at that point. Had the bottom vent wide open and the top at about 1/3 which gave me about a 375-400* temp range. I ended up closing the bottom vent to about 1/2 at the midway point as temps started to climb to 430* or so. The wind had died down and that was making a difference. I had a thermometer in and pulled the meat to rest once it hit 120* and it rested up to about 135*. Had a real nice crispy bark on it and was juicy as can be inside. Will make real good roast beef sandwiches today, I have a meat slicer that I'll set on medium for it.

It was beef "top round oven roast" that was on sale. I used 2 full baskets and one piece of hickory on top of each after the grill was warmed up. Took roughly 2 hours, I set a 45 minute timer on my watch and sprayed with acv/honey mix at that point. Had the bottom vent wide open and the top at about 1/3 which gave me about a 375-400* temp range. I ended up closing the bottom vent to about 1/2 at the midway point as temps started to climb to 430* or so. The wind had died down and that was making a difference. I had a thermometer in and pulled the meat to rest once it hit 120* and it rested up to about 135*. Had a real nice crispy bark on it and was juicy as can be inside. Will make real good roast beef sandwiches today, I have a meat slicer that I'll set on medium for it.
Thanks for the write up. I did my first roast a while back and will have do another. Mine was a little tough when we had thick slices for dinner, but I sliced the rest thin also for sandwiches which really helped, as well as soaking the thin slices in the au jus.

It was beef "top round oven roast" Will make real good roast beef sandwiches today, I have a meat slicer that I'll set on medium for it.
Nice cook! I can’t remember the last time I’ve bought sliced roast beef from the deli. I do mine on the rotisserie, that hot metal rod through the meat really speeds things up. Usually only takes about an hour, we like it pretty rare. Next day it’s sliced thin as possible for sandwiches. We use it a lot for parties in warm au jus and horseradish as well.

667F4D11-80E5-4C22-94DA-D1F02229F197.png
1144DB52-01DC-4AFF-8EFC-2FCC5096353D.png
FB15DC65-33EC-4AAD-A045-292669969CAD.png

Nice cook! I can’t remember the last time I’ve bought sliced roast beef from the deli. I do mine on the rotisserie, that hot metal rod through the meat really speeds things up. Usually only takes about an hour, we like it pretty rare. Next day it’s sliced thin as possible for sandwiches. We use it a lot for parties in warm au jus and horseradish as well.

View attachment 80588
View attachment 80589
View attachment 80590
I ALMOST put it on the rotisserie setup on the summit 650, but I just wanted to play with the performer last night

Back