Tomorrow I'm goin' in: Rack of Angus Beef Center Cut Back Ribs

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
On my 22 inch (EDIT) Kettle I'll use two char baskets with slightly less than half full of lit charcoal for a 1.5 - 2 hour cook. The top vent fully opened (maybe less) with the bottom at about 1/8 opened - after reading all of the posts to my inquiries. 250F to 325F..

Last edited:
22 inch kettle or WSM?
I can't imagine the ribs being nearly edible in that short of time.

All I can say is I've always wanted to try beef back ribs, but around here all you can get is meatless shiners. I am also doubtful of the 1.5-2 hour cook time just doesn't seem long enough to me.

Yes beef ribs here are let's say poor. Now as far as this cook goes let see what happens, I never did ribs in 2 hours till Jim L showed us the high heat method maybe this something new, although he may be adjusting his method over the next couple cooks, it will interesting to watch and read about the pluses and minuses during the full out come.

Beef ribs are a tough piece of meat, it needs the love that the brisket needs, hence being called brisket on a stick.
My beef ribs go on when I get out of bed and I have to try to get them in the cooler still a couple hours before dinner time.
Thick ribs that is anyways.

Beef ribs are a tough piece of meat, it needs the love that the brisket needs, hence being called brisket on a stick.
My beef ribs go on when I get out of bed and I have to try to get them in the cooler still a couple hours before dinner time.
Thick ribs that is anyways.
Sounds likke a minion is in order, three or four lit coals thrown into a basket perhaps full of unlit briquettes. THE MYSTERY DEEPENS alluring those into its dark abyss.

Sounds likke a minion is in order, three or four lit coals thrown into a basket perhaps full of unlit briquettes. THE MYSTERY DEEPENS alluring those into its dark abyss.
Is there some confusion with this cook or conflicting methods you are trying to decide between?
Do you have an SNS in your 22" kettle?
Send pics of raw ribs, I have made shiners to dino ribs over 4" thick.

22 inch kettle or WSM?
I can't imagine the ribs being nearly edible in that short of time.

Sounds like mine will take 4-6 hours as 220-250F shown here. See preceeding photos of the raw stuff.

Last edited:
looks like you have the same type of beef ribs that Chris did on his 18" WSM. On a kettle, I would recommend using a fuse/snake method.

Okay it's ON. Two char baskets just over half filled with half lit briquettes. Bottom vent 1/8 to 1/4 open. Top vent set to less than 1/4 open with temperature steady at approx 300F after 20 minutes. I anticipate the vents being micro managed and the addition of unlit briquettes after 60-90 minutes.

I would use the SNS for convenience but the baskets will work for you. Do you need 2??? not a need but you can do it. The baskets are small so adding fuel often will be what you will need to keep in mind. I would just get small fire going, and put that fire at one end of the basket and line up briq's to fill the basket. Do you have a thermometer for grate temp? If not you are going to be somewhere around 50 degrees hotter on the lid thermometer depending where you put that in relation to where the fire is, so opposite fire should read a bit lower.....I am guessing, I never use on the lid to hit marks for anything. It is going to take a bit of time, I don't think you can put a number on it personally, the thicker it is the longer. Also I would cook it as 1 piece if you can get away with it. It will come out much tastier. That rack looks good, I just picked up 2 of these on Wednesday while I was at the butchers for a later time....I will be using hickory wood and starting mine about 8 in the morning for a dinner meal.
I also use a cooler for about 2 hours if I can get it in there in time. I also will be using my top vent wide open.....100% and using the bottom to regulate it, probably just open at the very least I get it open. If you are using your lid temp probe to regulate the cook and you are going to be making adjustments to both of them to maintain a certain temp just be careful. An adjustment now takes a long time for the bbq to adjust to your adjustments.....it could get pretty hot in there pretty fast and then it can be choked too much without doing a lot. Patience lol......you could be sitting there watching it constantly all day making minor adjustments.......YIKES!

I like to listen to the things this fella has to say, I don't agree with everything but his food always comes out looking great.
In this video he is making thick baby backs using just one basket. The way he uses his wood and charcoal and uses temperatures and times maybe will give you a head start. I know yours are beef but if they are not super thick beef ribs the video may be a guide to use for general ideas and you can put your own twists on it. He generally uses the top vent wide open like I like to.

I like to listen to the things this fella has to say, I don't agree with everything but his food always comes out looking great.
In this video he is making thick baby backs using just one basket. The way he uses his wood and charcoal and uses temperatures and times maybe will give you a head start. I know yours are beef but if they are not super thick beef ribs the video may be a guide to use for general ideas and you can put your own twists on it. He generally uses the top vent wide open like I like to.

Good info. Sounds as if one basket full of briquettes suffices with replenishment (3-5 briquettes) after each hour.

I would use his techniques if you are in a position where you don't know where to go next and make changes as needed.
As long as you use a slow type method and get them to the right temp you will come out a success. Remember the beef ribs cook like a brisket.
There is a good chance they stall out at 160 for a bit....depends on how thick they are....cooking temp doesn't really matter, too hot and the outside of the rib will not be what you want it to be of course. You will hit a certain colour on them then I would consider wrapping until you hit your desired butter soft temps. Its always different but 4 hours or so you should be right around the 160 if you are cooking around 250. Wrapping at that point will keep the cook moving so you can actually rest them or eat them in another 2.5 to 4 hours....there is so many variables its hard to have set temps and times sorry.

Two and a half hours approx elapsed time. Thanks to the video you indicated all briquettes were transferred to one single basket and replenished every 60-90 minutes with 3-6 briquettes.. Temperature holding steadily at 260F with both vents opened at approx 1/8th or so. Takes a little bit of finageling. (EDIT) With my new Thermapen Mk4 the meat temperature measures at 158-164F depending if it's measured at the center or out to the side.

Last edited:

Back