Throwdown #7 - Pizza/Flatbread

Smoked Margherita

Throwdown Pizza ingredients, from back left: dough, basil, tomatoes, green onions, Anaheim pepper, diced homemade Romano chicken sausage, smoked cherry tomatoes (also red and yellow), homemade buckboard bacon, goat cheese, homemade smoked mozzarella, shredded mozzarella. Many of the ingredients are for a second pie that will appear in the Photo Gallery.

DSC_0816-1.jpg

Experimental WSM set up for this cook: full ring of coals, full chimney of lit, no water pan, pizza stone on top, kettle lid.

DSC_0824.jpg

Dressed: chopped smoked cherry tomatoes, fresh and smoked mozzarella, buckboard bacon.

DSC_0827.jpg

Off and topped with basil.

DSC_0832.jpg

Plated.

DSC_0836.jpg

I had considered making the Smoked Margherita pie without any meat, but you have to play to the judges and this isn’t exactly a vegetarian website. Thanks for looking!

White Pizza with Lambchetta

A ways back in the spring I made some lambchetta (lamb belly cured like panchetta):
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?24843-Lambchetta

I finally sliced it up and put it to real use on a white pizza.

Specs:

Jim Lahey's no need pizza dough (second time I've used his recipe and all I can say is its the only pizza dough recipe you'll ever need)
Jim Lahey's bechamel sauce (I made it with some butter milk left over from making a batch of butter, so it was uber buttery)
Lambchetta (slightly precooked in oven)
Potatoes (sliced and blanched with fresh bay leaves)
German garlic (sliced and precooked in oven)
Fresh Thyme
Cracked pepper

precook
IMG_5627.JPG

preheating with seasoned cherry
IMG_5630.JPG

my pizza oven
IMG_5631.JPG

a peek in the open side
IMG_5632.JPG

done!
IMG_5640.JPG

crust cross section showing how light this dough is, it really can't be beat, and it's the easiest dough you will ever make too!
IMG_5642.JPG

I think we said we'd bring this Throwdown to a close on August 24, but it's now the 29th. Is it time to post a poll so people can cast votes for the winner?

Regards,
Chris

Lets poll this one! And Mr biesinger is way to late so dont let him compete ;)

*joke* ofc

This was a really good Throwdown. Good luck all. The thing is i have 2 favorites? :confused:

Lets poll this one! And Mr biesinger is way to late so dont let him compete ;)

*joke* ofc

This was a really good Throwdown. Good luck all. The thing is i have 2 favorites? :confused:

I'm fine with that. I realize I was late, I didn't really have the intention to compete, but I did the pizza cook so I threw it up here to keep with theme. It's not like I'll win with all the fine pizzas posted here.

Easily the best throwdown yet, nice work everyone. And thanks to Scott for setting it up and picking a nice theme.

Hate I missed this one, pizza was my first cooking passion before I started grilling. Probably baked 60 pies over the past year or so.

Relax jeff it was a joke. Ofc all contenders that have posted before the poll is up is in the game. Your pie is in my top 2. I will try that dough out for sure. Good luck all

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸CONGRATULATIONS¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

`°​ºº°`°​ºº°`°​º JimK º°`°​ºº°`°​ºº°

Oh wow! Thanks guys. Don't know why, but I thought the voting was open through the weekend. There were some really incredible pies out there - I think I got lucky on this. These throwdowns are a lot of fun.

I'll post something up this weekend for the next throw down.

Back