Lambchetta

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
about a month ago, I organized a little party where we broke down three spring lambs from a local farm. At the end of the night, there was a tiny slab of perfect lamb belly that I brought home and cured.
IMG_8381.JPG

The cured and rolled belly hung for a couple of weeks until it was 70%
IMG_8729.JPG

I got to say that the starting lamb was impeccable and the resulting lambchetta has a wonderful flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">resulting lambchetta has a wonderful flavor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can only imagine! Nice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can only imagine! Nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc, I was reading some stuff about how lamb isn't typically dry cured because it has a strong flavor. This lamb had a great flavor to begin with and the finished stuff is still pretty mild.

What a neat idea.
I have never done this myself, but I have made Lamb roll for many years.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...621059826#8621059826

I wonder- I see that you have left a generous amount of sheep fat in. In my experience, that is not a very good idea. The taste is not very desirable, nor is the texture.
I use quite a lot of time to remove the fat.
Any comments?

Lamb bresaola next? Still easier then horse.
icon_biggrin.gif

If it was mild lamb to begin with bet it would be fantastic...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder- I see that you have left a generous amount of sheep fat in. In my experience, that is not a very good idea. The taste is not very desirable, nor is the texture.
I use quite a lot of time to remove the fat.
Any comments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's an interesting observation. I did pull off some of the looser fat but mostly for the sake of evening up the slab. I'm not familiar with the term "sheep fat", but it was obvious from the slice and the picture that there is a nugget of fat that is waxier than the fat layered in the belly.

No worries though Geir, this lamb was so mild, the finished stuff tastes great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Lamb bresaola next? Still easier then horse. Big Grin
If it was mild lamb to begin with bet it would be fantastic... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was hoping to do a whole hindquarter for some lambscuitto. But I was talking to a guy whole does charcuterie professionally and he said I'd have problems drying it, because it's not like a ham where you can leave the skin on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">bresaola </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Confused... When we (I) do a beef bresola there is no skin on? At best, like I did with my last, stuff into a large casing just to control shape, control the drying a bit and allow some graduation in how much the external mold influences the final product.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a generous amount of sheep fat in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If your making a semi un-smoked equivalent of bacon (pancetta) I would expect to have a generous amount of fat present, no?

I have been looking into this, and found a couple of translations. I'll try to explain. Here in Norway we distinguish between lamb/sheep/mutton fat and, I hope this word is right, mutton tallow.
Fat is, well fat, but tallow is as J. Biesinger says, waxy, it's not smooth, and the taste is strong. There are of course several "grades" between these two fat types.
I thought I could see some tallow in the piece of meat. That was the reason for my quiestion.

When I make my lamb lunch meat roll/pressed meat, I use a tablespoon, sharpened on one edge to scrape away as much tallow as possible, as the texture and taste is undesirable. If you get a chunk in your mouth, it can feel like you are chewing on a sheep flavored candle. Not very nice, to say the least.

In fact, I have made candles out of sheep tallow once. It can be done.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">tallow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Geir, Now I understand. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Confused... When we (I) do a beef bresola there is no skin on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are we wondering why I can't cure a skinless leg? I had the same thoughts. I think I've saw someone online dry cure a goat leg, so I think it can be done.

This is a mixture of a traditional recipe, some background and a couple of personal comments. Since I know you are familiar with kilos and grams, I will not recalculate anything
You’ll need:
- A leg of lamb, some fat is nice. 4 to 6 kilos is fine. If it is fresh, it should not be older than five days. You can use frozen legs as well, thaw slowly.
- Lots of coarse sea salt. Let’s say 5 kgs. And a couple of 100 grams of fine seasalt.
- A plastic container with enough room for the leg and 5 kilos of salt.
That’s it. Now, the curing. I’m sure you have seen/read about/tried this method before, but none the less, let me explain. Basically you want to bury the leg in salt, there is no brine, no percentage of anything. Instead you dry cure the meat, and measure the weight loss in the meat itself. So-
- Jot down the weight of the leg. Subtract 30%. That is the finishing weight, and that will give you a leg that is on the soft side. I’d suggest that you go for that approach.
- First of all, cover the bottom of the container with a layer of sea salt. It should be so thick that the moisture from the leg never reaches the leg again. You can periodically drain out some of the moisture if you want to, if needed.
- Take the leg, and massage as much fluid as possible out of it. Start at the foot, working your way up. Wipe off moisture. You can do this several times during the first days.
- Give the leg a good rub with fine seasalt. Bury the leg in coarse seasalt. Cover it completely.
- Cure temperature, 4 degrees celcius. Count between 0,6 to one day of curing per kilo. I’d go for 0.75 days per kilo on the first try.
Example- your leg is 5 kilos. 0.75 days times 5 is about four days.
- Now a resting period before drying. Take it out of the salt, wipe it down. Store the leg between 14 days to one and a half month at a temp of 4 degrees C. Avoid a very moist environment to prevent mold. I’m sure I do not have to go into details here. I usually go for four weeks or more. More complex aftertaste.
- Drying temp is between 12 to 18 degrees C, humidity between 69 to 76 percent. This will take between 60 to 90 days. Check the weight, and I'd suggest that you go for for approx 30% on your first run.
Resting period and drying time can vary, if you rest for a long period, the drying period can be shorter than stated. This is a process that is rather uncritical. for several years I used no "resting period", and the difference is not that big. Go by feel, I know you have done stuff like this before.
By the way, the process described works with rheindeer as well, if you can get hold of some.

I find cured and dried leg of lamb delicious, but I can understand that it is not for everybody. I’ts much less “special” than let’s say moose heart, but I think you should be a fan of both cured meats as well as lamb to really enjoy it.
Here in Norway it is served together with other cured meats and sausages, scrambled eggs, cold potato salad, flatbread, lefse, beer and aquavite. Sort of Nordic tapas. Usually you can choose from different types of fish as well, but we not mix the meat and the fish on the same plate.
I have no intention to take over this thread, I only wanted to help. If you find this inappropriate, pleas say so, and I will remove the rather long text.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have no intention to take over this thread, I only wanted to help. If you find this inappropriate, pleas say so, and I will remove the rather long text. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no worries, it's good info.

I finally got around to cooking some, and man was this ever a home run. The knob of waxy fat is visible between 7 and 9 o'clock on the front slice. It wasn't noticeable in either taste or texture (in case anyone was worried).
IMG_9051.JPG

Back