Throwdown #27: Whole Chicken

Ok nice guys..it's getting good now!! Great Roto birds (Chris and Nate)...

Chris how do u like the northwoods Fire? I have been meaning to pick some up..the regular northwoods is been a go to spice!!

Weber enchiladas.....

Here's my entry....

Today I did some enchiladas on the weber. Since Maribel is out on the east coast I'm doing this by myself. Quality may go down but I'm trying.

Got this whole chicken and trussed it and seasoned it with Lawrys seasoned salt.

On the rotisserie for about 1 hour 15 min. I don't know what temp but used full chimney of lit charcoal. Used the baskets and poured equal amounts on both sides.

My kids ate the wings and legs. After it cooled down I shredded the chicken

I dipped the corn tortilla in the enchilada sauce and then heated the tortilla on a warm skillet. After I rolled them with the chicken and placed them in my cast iron.

Then cheese was added.

Melted the cheese on the weber for about 10 min.

No plated pics since Maribel is not home :(

Thanks for stopping by

Tony

Ok nice guys..it's getting good now!! Great Roto birds (Chris and Nate)...

Chris how do u like the northwoods Fire? I have been meaning to pick some up..the regular northwoods is been a go to spice!!

I have both the Northwoods regular and the Fire. Truth be told, I think the Fire just has added cayenne pepper, but either of them are winners. I bought several spice blends from Penzey's to sample, and will try to hack my own versions of the ones I like most. I've been buying whole spices from them for years, but just recently started trying their blends.

Man, those enchiladas look great Tony. Today must be the day to roti! I think I could go for at least 3 of those enchiladas!

My entry for Throwdown #27: Whole Chicken is based on the Weber recipe Three Lemon Chicken. If you've not tried this recipe I highly recommend it. Served along side a homebrew Maibock for a lovely Spring Dinner.

017_zpsxgnajd7y.jpg

018_zpsavkbfpxb.jpg

021_zpsa5l1yvdd.jpg

023_zps5pynjp5s.jpg

024_zpsenynnisk.jpg

Served along side SWMBO's Risoto al Zucca, verdure miste, and brotchen.

025_zps4eaulgtj.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
*Lots* of good entries so far - love it! - I love doing whole chickens. we do one just about every Sunday - We like the leftovers to use on salads for lunches - For the Throwndown, as a tribute to Chris's tribute to Dr. Seuss , I wanted to make a green chicken - Conceptually, the idea of a green chicken sounds pretty gross, but stay with me on this!

17258723216_9aeb089624_c.jpg

I like to brine chickens. I typically do 17 a degree brine (177 grams of salt, 86 grams of sugar) I added lemons, cilantro, whole black pepper and some garlic. For a 5 pound chicken, I goabout 8 hours.

17097191690_3a549fd993_c.jpg

Here comes green part one. Roasted up some Anaheims, some Poblanos, Serranos, jalapenos, tomatillos and onions.

17098480869_1ff1d21f3d_c.jpg

skinned the peppers, and tossed everything into the Cusinart - Added a slat, and little sugar and pig fat.

17258721686_e7d7e591aa_c.jpg

More green - did a rub of dried Anaheim pepper, salt free Adobo, onion, garlic black pepper - This plan is coming together!

17096904808_135f86f7de_c.jpg

Out to the 22' and rotisserie - This guy is looking good!

17282863632_707485ebaf_c.jpg

hit me on the backside!

16662218234_d74ede6a36_b.jpg

Cut up, and getting ready to serve....

17284168871_bfffdfa029_b.jpg

your plate - served with grilled asparagus and a dinner roll - yummy!

And of course, a little dinner music....

Here's my entry....Today I did some enchiladas on the weber.
They look delicious, Tony! But your long flyball to center field just missed going over the wall for a home run. This is a whole chicken throwdown, not an enchilada throwdown. We can consider the whole chicken up to the photo where the meat is shredded, but not how the chicken was wrapped in torts, sauced, smothered in cheesy goodness, and baked on the grill.

Sorry...but I'll add Enchilada Throwdown to the list of potential ideas. :)

They look delicious, Tony! But your long flyball to center field just missed going over the wall for a home run. This is a whole chicken throwdown, not an enchilada throwdown. We can consider the whole chicken up to the photo where the meat is shredded, but not how the chicken was wrapped in torts, sauced, smothered in cheesy goodness, and baked on the grill.

Your right my mistake....:eek:

Please remove my post. I tought it had to be cooked whole then do what I wanted with the chicken...lol

that seems a bit brutal? I don't think there was any intention that the finished product had to be presented in any specific way - just cooked whole - I hope the Rules Committee will take it upon themselves to reconsider!

that seems a bit brutal? I don't think there was any intention that the finished product had to be presented in any specific way - just cooked whole - I hope the Rules Committee will take it upon themselves to reconsider!
Peter, I sent you a PM to discuss how to proceed.

Hi everyone,

This is Peter's throwdown, so he has a big say in how we should proceed. The goal is to increase participation, not decrease it, so here's what we're going to do. We're going to clarify that you must cook a whole chicken as described in the original post and you must include photos showing how you prepared/cooked it. Once cooked, you can serve it any way you like: as-is, carved, in pieces, or as an ingredient in another preparation. So Tony's enchiladas using whole chicken as an ingredient are allowed and others can follow suit with similar entries, if they wish.

Best,
Chris

Haven't done a throw down in a while. All these birds look great! Love cooking whole chickens, expecially on the rotisserie. Might have to get down with this throw down.

Back