Throwdown #14: Carne Asada

I'm in, too. I figure the only chance I have is go a little non-traditional: Asada Steak Sandwiches. Being from back East originally, I thought, why not combine the best from both coasts? Or disappoint reps from both coasts. We'll start off with some music

And next, the marinade

roasting onion, pepper and garlic for the meat

Sorry, I had to flip the record.
Here's the package of the meat I'm grillin'. Of course, I didn't think to take a picture of the beef itself...

and meat soaking up all that goodness. The rest of the marinade is: a little sugar, chili powder, S&P, cilantro, tomato, orange and lime juice, mirin and a bottle of Corona.

The tunes for the rest of the night.

Grillin' onion, pepper and mushroom for the sandwiches

Beef's on. Look, I ran out of room...

a couple of slices chopped up

and cheesed

More after the break...

I really love a good cheesesteak. But Brian, you've completely redefined the genre. Well done!

Great cooks all around so far. Makes me want to head south of the border.

Last edited:
My submission

Grilled up some Carne Asada, yellow peppers and Mexican onions.

Let the Carne Asada rest a bit and then chopped it up.

My Son wanted some rolled tacos. Filled some corn tortillas with the meat, rolled them and fried them in a little oil.

Let them drain a little on the grill grate and added a little cheese.

Topped them with some sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and a little more cheese. Some beans and chips served along side.

Made some tortas for my Wife and myself. Toasted up some bolios on the grill that were slathered in some mayo.

Topped the bolios with some beans, carne asada, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and Panella Cheese. Seved with beans, chips, yellow peppers and the Mexican green onion.

Nice presentstion John.
Those tacos look good... I'm going to borrow your recipe :)
The tortas are perfect!

John, you are one of the masters of CI cookery on the grill! Great lookin' tacos and tortas. The competition is heating up w/ the weather?

Alright, here is my entry. Carne asada salads.

The players for the marinade. Flank steak was marinaded for about 8 hours in 3 chipotle peppers in adobo, lime zest, cumin, salt, 1/4 onion, garlic and olive oil.

Ready to get happy.

On the grill (full disclosure for Jim, this was not done on a Weber...deduct points as necessary).

Corn torilla molds added to the grill.

Carne asada almost ready...mouth is drooling at this point.

Carne asada cut up.

My wife had the salad mixed up before I could get some pictures of that. It was a mixture of lettuce, red peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese. The dressing was a mixture of ranch and medium salsa. Gave it a nice kick like a southwestern ranch. Plated in tortilla bowls, with an ice cold Somersby to wash it all down!

Thanks for looking!

Greetings fellow competitors and judges. I bow before you in virual respect. I almost didn't post because I think Tony is the heavy favorite but after viewing his post and seeing that he didn't post pictures of the Mrs, I might have a shot.

Irish boy doing Carne asada

Step one, make the Roasted tomatillo salsa http://http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35063-Roasted-Tomatillo-Salsa&highlight=tomatillo

Roasting away

everybody into the food processor

And finished

Time to make the Guac - Avocado, tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, salt

And all mashed together

Time to marinate the Steak - Lime juice, green onion, white onion, jalapeno, garlic, apple cider vinegar, sugar, cumin, cayenne, coriander and oil. Everybody in the immersion blender and marinate for 4 hours. Also shown are the ingredients for the tortillas.

10 pictures just isn't fair...I swear I made the tortillas from scratch. here they are on the weber.

I gotta go back and delete pictures...hold on.

Okay, everything is ready

Everybody onto the grill! Green onion, red onion, jalapeno and skirt steak

And plated! wow I loved this! I cooked the steak about 6 min per side and it turned out perfect. very yummy. The homemade tortillas make this a really rustic feeling dish!

I wish you could have tasted this. My sister in law went bananas over it.

Looks great Chris. I like the grilled jalapeño on the side and the homemade tortillas!! I'm telling Maribel that if you can do she can do it also...:)

Back