Throwdown #14: Carne Asada

Let me understand this "cook" correctly, if I can. The dish is essentially, or usually, a flank or skirt steak, marinaded, that afterward I can do anything that I please with it, doesn't have to be a taco, slapped between two pieces of bread etc. In fact, I can pile it high on top of a baked potato if I wish. Is that right. It is usually a flank or skirt steak, could be a porterhouse, so as long as it is sliced thin. Am I correct?

Last edited:
3bb1d95f-a70b-4e0d-9fcf-2518354d9e82_zps3f3bb052.jpg

This is how I think of carne asada...as an ingredient that goes into something, like a taco or burrito, but could be served on a plate. There's nothing to say you couldn't put it on a baked potato, but that would not be a common way to serve it.

And the usual preparation is to slice it thin first, then season/marinate, then grill it.
I stand corrected...I've read this on some sites, but it's not necessarily the usual approach.

Maybe we need a short training course on carne asada from Tony or Maribel. I'm sure I'd learn a lot. :)

Last edited:
David, how about this for a description :)

Yes, I looked there as well as other places, and that was the point of my question, it is grilled meat.....what one does with afterward is up to each cook, and yes, I could have a baked potato. stuffed with Carne Asada....................d

Awesome throw down...I was actually recently looking up carne asada on the forums! I'm in, and probably a test run for 4th of July.

Here is my entry....

Marinated the carne asada for 3 hours. 4 large oranges,4 limes,1/4 bunch of cilantro,4 cloves chopped,1/2 onion chopped,2 tbs salt,1tbs black pepper,1tbs cummin,1 tbs onion powder,1 tbs garlic powder,2 tbs of chef merito seasoning.
1373785527.jpg

1373785535.jpg

We did homemade rice and bean outside on the gas grill.
1373785669.jpg

1373785729.jpg

We also made fresh salsa..
1373785571.jpg

Grilled up some Nopales,onions,longaniza and of course the carne asada...
1373785735.jpg

1373785738.jpg

Here is your plate with an ice cold Victoria. Thanks for looking.
1373786713.jpg

Tony,
That looks Awesome and Decidedly Delicious !

(The chef merito seasoning site has some interesting things, all except the last one on the seasoning page ;) )

Last edited:

Back