Throwdown #12: Ribeye Steak

Blackened Rib Eye with Garlic Herb Butter, Steamed veggies, and Sweet Potato Casserole

Beverage: Phat Hogg Chardonnay 2009
Salad: Homemade Italian Vinaigrette over lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, and croutons
Meat: 1# Rib eyes
Seasoning: Cajun rub
Side: Bacon Stuff Portabella Mushroom
Veggie: Steamed Carrots and Green Beans
Starch: Sweet Potato Casserole
Weber: 22.5 kettle
Heat: R/O Lump Coal

To be grilled

Salad time

Grill shot

Plated

Cook to perfection

Thx for taking the time and look at my entry.

Ribeye burger with Gruyere, lemon aioli and crispy prosciutto.

Wonderful cook and a wonderful and novel way to use a ribeye! Believe it or not I prefer a well prepared burger to any steak! You can take the tough cuts which inevitably have the strongest beef flavor and turn them into something that is tender and juicy even when cooked medium rare! I bet taking something that is tender in the first place made one amazing burger.

I was going to do something along those lines in grinding the meat but I don't think I could top that Mr. Lynch. I'll probably stick to another prep if I can get ahold of a steak in the next few days!

Wonderful cook and a wonderful and novel way to use a ribeye! Believe it or not I prefer a well prepared burger to any steak! You can take the tough cuts which inevitably have the strongest beef flavor and turn them into something that is tender and juicy even when cooked medium rare! I bet taking something that is tender in the first place made one amazing burger.

I was going to do something along those lines in grinding the meat but I don't think I could top that Mr. Lynch. I'll probably stick to another prep if I can get ahold of a steak in the next few days!

Thanks man. Those are some kind words. I liked your idea of a stir-fry and if you hadn't mentioned it above I might have done just that!

Here's my cook.....steak and sides.

Smashed red potato's stuffed with parmesan cheese and topped with a dollop of Creme Fraiche then sprinkled with bits of jalapeño. Baked on the grill in a iron skillet.

Onion rings placed on top of steak, old school plating. I also did these on the side burner on the gas grill while the steaks were cooking on the OTP.

Asparagus with a poached egg placed on top with a creamy Hollidaise sauce layered on top. The egg was poached so that the yolk ran over the 'gus.

First off, three thick cut rib eyes, pretty well marbled. Oiled, peppered and heavily salted.

steakchallenge002_zps2994c51c.jpg

The steaks were put on the grill for a reverse sear along with the potato's. Steaks were to be cooked to about 120 before putting over the coals for the sear.

steakchallenge010_zps4bde3a07.jpg

Steaks are over the coals for the final sear to move the internal temp to the 135 area, a nice median rare.

steakchallenge014_zps95744b50.jpg

IMG_0574_zpsde3818fe.jpg

Steaks are set aside and the aparagus goes on for the grill flavor. The smashed potato's continue to stay on the grill to stay warm and finish cooking.

steakchallenge018_zps14dbdb9b.jpg

steakchallenge022_zpscd45d4fd.jpg

And over on the gas side burner we have the onion rings. Been a long time since I've done onion rings......might have to do them more often. Did the mix of corn meal and flour double dipped in buttermilk and egg. Dang they were good.

IMG_0570_zpsc8619fbf.jpg

steakchallenge012_zps7b38166f.jpg

First of the plating pictures. Steak on with onion rings on top, asparagus/poached egg/hollindaise and smashed potato's on the side. I failed to get a pic of the seared side of the steak but a little bit of the sear can be seen just in front of the onion rings.

steakchallenge025_zps3b73f658.jpg

And

steakchallenge026_zps64472135.jpg

Steak was cooked ot nice med. rare, very tender with great flavor. Sides weren't too bad either. Thanks for viewing, only wish we could add more than 10 pic's.....................d

Last edited:
David great looking cook! I have been wanting to try a runny egg with a steak here lately! I know they work well with any kind of burger so why not with a steak! Once again, beautiful meal, a lot of effort went into making all those sides no doubt. Hollandaise ain't no joke!

David great looking cook! I have been wanting to try a runny egg with a steak here lately! I know they work well with any kind of burger so why not with a steak! Once again, beautiful meal, a lot of effort went into making all those sides no doubt. Hollandaise ain't no joke!

Yea, Hollandaise can be a choir as it is easy to screw it up, as I've made scrambled eggs before. Egg was really more for the asparagus, but it of course was enjoyed with the steak also............thanks......................d

My entry for this competition: Dry Brined Reverse Sear Ribeyes served along side Grilled Corn on the Cob with Cilantro Lime Butter and Syracuse Salt Potatoes.

I Dry Brined the steaks about three hours before hitting the grill.

I started with the corn on the cob indirect over some Kingsford Competition about an hour before the steaks went on.

When I placed the steaks on the indirect side I used the hover grill to continue cooking the corn and warmed the cilantro lime butter.

I boiled some potatoes inside due to space but I was able to finish them on the grill.

SWMBO said she definitely tastes the difference with the dry brine. I hit them with Weber's Chicago Steak Seasoning and an herb butter to plate. For your critique:

Great looking stuff so far. Unfortunately, April was just too busy of a month for me to put an entry together. At least one that would be worthy competition for what's already been entered! Should be a good race. Good luck everyone!

Here is my entry for the throwdown. I told dad about the competition and how I'd probably get in on the next one since I didn't have steaks, so on his way back from Montgomery he showed up with a ribeye he bought just for this comp! I'm thankful to have such an awesome dad no doubt. I didn't get as many pictures as I wanted to really, but that isn't as important as getting the plated picture on here I guess! Anywho here it is.

Ribeye Steak with Brown-Butter, Sage, and Parmesan Gnocchi, Baked Creamed Spinach with Crispy Onions and Breadcrumbs, and Caesar Salad with Garlic Breadstick

PhotoApr2573020AM.jpg

PhotoApr2573027AM.jpg

WHEW! What a mouthful. I cooked the steaks on the Spirit since I hadn't used her in a long while and she was dirty, so that gave me the perfect reason to get out and uncover her and do some spring cleaning. To be truthful, I forgot just how good of a job that a gasser can do on steaks. I have the uncoated cast iron grates, and when you let that thing heat for a long time (think my thermometer said 625 or something like that) you can get one hell of a sear on meats. I am going to have to start breaking up my grilling between the Performer and the Spirit now judging on how good these were. First ribeye I've grilled in a while that was really tender and not chewy. Here's a picture of the steak pre-grill. Didn't have the marbling most would associate with tender really, but dad did good and it was awesome none-the-less. The medium-rare center probably helped out with that a lot.

PhotoApr2565214AM.jpg

I'ver never had gnocchi before but had a vacuum sealed packet in the cupboard that I thought I'd throw in there since it would mix it up a little from the regular mashed potatoes I do. Let me say, gnocchi may be my new favorite pasta, that mix between dense potato and pasta texture is awesome, and when it soaks up all that brown-butter it's awesome. Here is the ingredient line-up for the gnocchi.

PhotoApr2562442AM.jpg

First time making creamed spinach too, and while it was good I don't know if it will make it into my regular cooking for other people. I had seen it mentioned a good bit on sites as being a quintessential steakhouse side at places like Ruth's Chris, so I thought why not and tried my hand at it. The texture just isn't what I really like even with the crispy topping I added, but it any of you fellers have any better ideas and how I might have messed it up let me know! Don't wanna be missing out on something awesome. Here's the picture I got of the ingredient line-up for it. And of course, if your gonna have nutmeg, you gotta grate it fresh. If you've never bought the whole nutmegs and grated it, you're seriously missing out. Everything, including pumpkin pie, get's a whole lot better with fresh nutmeg.

PhotoApr2562322AM.jpg

PhotoApr2563251AM.jpg

Thanks for looking folks. Cut this one close to the end no doubt. Good luck everyone!

David, I forgot to add that I love how you cook your asparagus. I hate asparagus when it's just barely cooked at all, and even worse if it's just blanched. Baked or grilled, I like it cooked a good bit with a little char. Soft but not mushy at all. You hit the nail on the head with that too.

David, I forgot to add that I love how you cook your asparagus. I hate asparagus when it's just barely cooked at all, and even worse if it's just blanched. Baked or grilled, I like it cooked a good bit with a little char. Soft but not mushy at all. You hit the nail on the head with that too.

Funny that you bring that up. Actually, I wrap them in a damp paper towel and cook indirect for a few minutes and then unwrap, oil a bit and then cook them over the fire to obtain some "smokey" flavor. A few days after doing this we went to a small dinner party for a friend and the host served asparagus as a side dish. It was so under cooked that I could barely cut it with a knife, I actually had to pick it up and eat it, and wasn't very good either...........so yea, I'm with you, a touch crispy, as much for flavor as anything.........................d

Back