Thoughts on this grill for $200?

GWaye

TVWBB Member
Hoping for the gurus to chime in again.....

Found this close to me and think it could be a good deal. May keep it if you think it's an upgrade cookwise over my 2007 Genesis in Espresso Brown. In any event, here are some pics.... And they'll include the propane tank as well (not a big deal, but every bit helps).

Let me know if you think 1) its worth and hour drive and 2) would it potentially be an upgrade in cooking (faster/hotter) than my Genesis (and be able to get replacement parts too).

Thanks all for your input as I'm new to the old Weber game.

Gary

Attachments

• 140203784_10158800640381737_8562408137448830277_o.jpg
    140203784_10158800640381737_8562408137448830277_o.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 139886141_10158800640346737_1136819942491661776_o.jpg
    139886141_10158800640346737_1136819942491661776_o.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 139611543_782543175941969_629769854945499004_n.jpg
    139611543_782543175941969_629769854945499004_n.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 139613175_3972741732756554_8870713268058269889_n.jpg
    139613175_3972741732756554_8870713268058269889_n.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 140535075_1907953069352131_6242634073701694741_n.jpg
    140535075_1907953069352131_6242634073701694741_n.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 40
Hey, Gary. Your '07 Genesis is a 3-burner grill, too, right? I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason why the older one would get hotter/faster than the '07. The only one who can really determine if that's a good price for that grill is going to be you. Some of it depends on your plans (use or flip?) as well as what the market is like for you in OH. There are similar grills here in SF Bay Area that are listed on CL anywhere from $40 to $250, and since they don't seem to languish on CL too long, I guess they are selling. If you were going to flip it, well, $200 might make it tough to bring in much of a profit. If you're going to use it, and you like it, and it's worth $200 to you, then that could be a very different story.

I lucked into an '04 Genesis Gold C this weekend for the low low price of $0, and I see freebies with relative frequency here. Some are not worth even parts, but the one I got today is going to make me a very nice grill.

For me, I would think that grill would need to have been fully restored (de-rusted, frame painted, end caps painted, cookbox painted, etc) to consider $200. I think I'd also expect at least new grates. The burners and flavorizers look good, and someone has at least cleaned it up nicely. I can't tell from the pics if it's been fully re-done, though.

Good luck!

R

Seems like you are not in the middle of no where so if you watch craigslist and facebook marketplace you should find a better deal along the way. Of course it depends on how soon you want a grill, and what your time is worth. For me the search for grills is fun. I like to find the really good deal. What do the grates look like and does the igniter work. The most I have spent on one is $20 and one came with 2 full propane tanks. Of course I am very new to this. I am on my 3rd grill in about 9 months. I have no idea if it is better than your 2007 Genesis. You would have to ask someone other than me.

It's not worth $200, more like $50 (cleaned up maybe closer to $100). I think your 07 should be good if not better than this one as yours has the E-W burners too correct? Replacement parts should be easy to come by for your grill and the one for sale to but I'd stick with your 07 if it still works.

That is a perfectly acceptable grill, but I agree with the others that it is not worth anywhere near $200. I am sure it will cook well, but I have no reason to see why it would cook any hotter than your 2007. If you sunk $200 into an all out resto of the 2007, I think you might come out ahead. I prefer the older Genesis grills, but your 2007 is what we have come to call the "sidewinder." While it has a newer body style - and cabinetry definitely prone to rust - it also has the classic "E-W" burner configuration and crossover burner, just like the original Genesis. I think I would try to bring it back to full operating status and keep it unless a much nicer early Genesis at a way better price happened to appear.

The value of this forum is priceless. I'm looking for a winter project and what I'm gleaning from all the responses is that this probably isn't the right one. FYI, my "Sidewinder" is the 3 burner and in great shape. No rust, and I've babied it since the day I brought it home. Thank you for all the thoughtful responses and I'll head back out in search of the right grill to act as my late winter/early spring project.

I have a 1998 gen 2000 deep box that I bought new and a 2007 sidewinder E320 NG, I'll take E320 over the 2000 anytime. Both cook, well heat up about the same but the E320 sits up a little higher and has the cabinet for storage. I know that rust is an issue with the E*** series grills but here in AZ rust isn't allowed.
If your 2007 is in good shape I would definitely keep it. Also $200 for an early genesis B is a stretch IMHO.

Last edited:
I agree with the consensus here. That grill probably would not be a much of an upgrade in cooking performance over your 2007 Genesis. It also think it isn't worth $200. That grill is better than most curb alert (free or nearly free) grills, but $200 worth. You can find a similar grill for $50 or less, clean it up and put $100 into some new quality SS parts and have a much better grill than that one. They don't even show the cooking grates on that grill and my guess is they are the cheap stamped steel ones or maybe it just doesn't have any.
Pass on that one and we will help your rebuild a less expensive one for much less or let us help you get your Genesis E3xx back in working order. I assume it is a Genesis E3xx since it is a 2007. Or it might be a Spirit E3xx. Post up a couple photos of your 2007 and let us know what you don't like about it.

I think we need to know more about the original grill and the reasons for wanting this other one.

Fair points. My 2007 Genesis just pales in comparison to my FIL's RedHead. My grill reaches a max temp of ~500F after 20 minutes (ambient temps 50+). The redhead reaches over 600 in 10 minutes. Sears steaks better. Maybe its just in my head, maybe there's something to it.

I've tried cleaning all the burner tubes a couple times with no improvement. Have replace burner tubes once in the 13 years I've owned it. No issues with the gas lines or burn pattern.

I'm just wondering if the older grills are just better? If so, I have no problem working on an older grill as a keeper and then sell my current one. That's what is driving this search.

Appreciate any input.

Gwaye: have you even checked temps with a remote ambient temp thermometer? Those lid thermometers are relatively inacurate and then they only measure the temps at their location, which is no where near where your meat is going to be cooking. The difference can be well over 100 degrees.

When you clean your burners, do you remove them and really clean them or just use a wire brush on them while still in the grill? It could also be an issue with the LP hose/regulator. I recently was having issues with my Q200 which I had connected straight to a regular hose/regulator. It worked great that way for a couple years but would never heat much past 400 on my lid thermometer. I started having issues with the regulator freezing up in cold weather, blocking gas flow. So, I replaced it with a new hose and regulator. That solved the freeze up problem, but I immediately noticed higher flames. Now that sucker heats up to 600 in less time that it used to take to get to 400. Same grill, just different hose and regulator.

I don't want to recommend replacing parts whilly nilly, but you can replace the hose and regulator for under $10. This is the one I used.

First off look for some of my steak photos. You will see steaks with a gorgeous crust and nicely rare to mid rare internal. I NEVER use full heat or even close. Using blast furnace heat is just an excuse for not using skill to achieve good results (no offense BTW). Being able to melt steel is not the make of a "quality" grill.
Also, the hood thermometer is NOT a good indication of the actual heat a grill reaches because the differences in placement between models, quality differences between actual thermometers and so is not a true indication. Hell my Wolf grill doesn't even have a thermometer and guess what...............................I have never missed it not once.
So you may have 2 grills both running a true 500 surface temp but the thermometers may be 150 or more deg different.
The other thing I would do is investigate everything. Including making sure the valves are cleaned, and no debris is blocking the orifices as well.
But, bottom line there is FAR more to grilling well than making a blast furnace

What is a grilling without the threat of a nuclear meltdown?

t0sG1c6.jpg

Come on Larry, we all want to be members of the warped firebox club. So far I've only made it to the melted grill light stage.
Thinking of putting a couple of NOS nozzles under the burners, that ought put a sear on a steak. Either a great sear on your steak or your grill will do the 1/4 mile in under 10 seconds. (y)

First off look for some of my steak photos. You will see steaks with a gorgeous crust and nicely rare to mid rare internal. I NEVER use full heat or even close. Using blast furnace heat is just an excuse for not using skill to achieve good results (no offense BTW). Being able to melt steel is not the make of a "quality" grill.
Also, the hood thermometer is NOT a good indication of the actual heat a grill reaches because the differences in placement between models, quality differences between actual thermometers and so is not a true indication. Hell my Wolf grill doesn't even have a thermometer and guess what...............................I have never missed it not once.
So you may have 2 grills both running a true 500 surface temp but the thermometers may be 150 or more deg different.
The other thing I would do is investigate everything. Including making sure the valves are cleaned, and no debris is blocking the orifices as well.
But, bottom line there is FAR more to grilling well than making a blast furnace
Oh, I'm well aware of there being more than 1 temperature on the grill - my Dad taught me how to grill when I was 12-13, and I just rolled the odometer on the big 50. What I hadn't thought about though is the lid thermometer being a weak link in the chain. I'll have to use my ThermoWorks Smoke to check the grate temps for accuracy. One would think that a thermometer would just work - guess not...... Thanks for the idea!

my Dad taught me how to grill when I was 12-13, and I just rolled the odometer on the big 50
And back in the day the theory was to put as much charcoal as you could fit into one of those old braziers soak it in petroleum slap a grate on it then burn meat. Ahh still remembering those petroleum flavored steaks :D
Honestly the only time I will take my grill to meltdown temps is for a very fast flash sear on a reverse cooked steak or if I am doing some type of thin fish (see my post about grilling calamari). Otherwise it's pretty rare for me to even run all 3 burners on my Genesis let alone "flat out".
So bottom line do some research to see IF your grill is actually not getting hot, if it's not find out why. Two things are paramount for performance. Cleanliness of the burner system (i.e. burner tubes and their ports, spider screens, the actual valves (both the spools and the actual orifices), and accuracy/flow rate of the regulator and piping/hoses). Put all that in order and you should be able to put your grill into incineration mode

Back