Those THICK Smoke Rings: How Do Yall Do It??

Jak Stepan

TVWBB Pro
Always admiring yalls thick smoke rings. Dang. And have always tried to achieve a thicker smoke ring on my cooks.... Especially since joining up here and seeing yalls cooks. Ribs, brisket, boston butt, chuck, roast-size steaks but just can't seem to match what yalls pics show me. So a few questions:

What the hell are yall doing to get those thick pink smoke rings? Which do yall use chunks or chips, and on which cooks? Do yall soak your woods? And last, do yall add wood to the bottom, middle or top of the coals?

Details, pics, embellish if you want it's cool... Just tell me what you're doing and how. Feel free to be descriptive, sometimes I have stupid-man-syndrome.

Thanks for any replies...

Don't lift the lid...

I don't get thick smoke rings either, but I don't like to much smoke taste so I go light on the wood. I sure will be interested in the responses you get though.

i use chunks and just throw on top of the charcoal , lately no water in the pan, maybe about 6-7 decent size chunks and i dont soak

It depends what I'm smoking on how I place my wood. Chips are reserved for grilling, chunks for smoking. Neither one is ever soaked in water.

If it's a long smoke (pork butt) I'll bury 3 chunks along the perimeter of the ring and add a couple on top of the coals after I get a clean burning pit/add the meat. If it's a short high-heat cook like a turkey, I just add a couple of chunks on top of the coals when the turkey goes on. Ribs get a bit of both - chunk in the charcoal as well as on top.

Again, also depends what meat I'm smoking in terms of which wook chunks I grab. I won't load up with hickory/oak on a turkey, but won't just use 2 pieces of apple on a pork butt. A lot of it just comes from trial & error.

We have always taken the meat directly from the refrig to the cooker thereby allowing for a longer smoking time while the meat is at a lower temperature (think moisture here).

(added) Greg Blonder did some research into the topic of smoke ring creation.

Last edited:
I get a good smoke ring and i use about 4-5 chunks of apple or cherry and i also go straight from the fridge to the smoker. Seems to work for me but i do think it is not an exact science and have even heard some of the judges on those BBQ comp shows say the smoke ring, while pretty, is not integral to good tasting BBQ and that is what it is about in my mind, the taste first and the look second.

We KCBS judges are not allowed to consider the smoke ring as it can be created artificially.

in other words... You are very correct. Although, it does 'pretty' up those slices ;)

Last edited:
Dittos to what Rich said. My smoke rings are medium at best. When I've gone for more smoke for the ring, the meats tend to get a little too smoky for my taste, particularly when reheated a second time. The smoke really seems to be more pronounced. I like to use chunks. I don't soak before using. I put the chunks on top of the coals and use the Minion Method when lighting. I only go for one to two hours of smoke. No more wood after that. I love using peach, cherry or apple. Good luck

For me it's not so much about the wood or the smoke.. it's the salt in your rub. Sprinkle a little bit of salt on the meat before your main rub... about 6-8 hours in advance!

We have always taken the meat directly from the refrig to the cooker thereby allowing for a longer smoking time while the meat is at a lower temperature (think moisture here).

(added) Greg Blonder did some research into the topic of smoke ring creation.

This is exactly right. The smoke ring is a chemical reaction that happens while the meat is at a temperature below 140º. Low and slow cooks lend themselves better for smoke rings because the meat spends a longer time at lower temps. If a big smoke ring is your goal, keep the meat COLD (but not frozen of course) and take it directly from the fridge to the smoker. Prepare it, rub it, put it back in the fridge, put it on the smoker. And don't go any higher the 225 if you're doing brisket or butt.

this is what I've been using....

151487.JPG

. And don't go any higher the 225 if you're doing brisket or butt.

Respectively, I would not agree with that.
275-300 is pretty normal for me, and I still get some good rings. But seriously It's all for show, can't taste it..
And if you check the way back machine, some of us do frozen butts.:wsm:

Tim

My smoke rings are always superb. I go from fridge to smoker, always minion method, and put the item on as I light.

Back