This redhead got the blues...(my Weber rehab project)

Yup, spring is definitely here...it hit mid 50s in my neck of the woods so I decided to grill some ribeyes just because...
Kispp4C.jpg

Yah, but already restored. I am looking for a deal where they are just looking to get rid of the old grill. I would like to see the inside of that grill. Also, doesn't mention the grates were replaced. I wonder what kind of shape they are in.

Bruce,
You know, that is the big question for me. Will I really be able to sell a nicely restored 1000 series Genesis with wood slats like the one Jose linked for us to see? I think his price is about where I would hope to be here in South Florida. But will it sell? There is a ready market for cheaply priced diamond in the rough Webers as long as you advertise them clearly and not as "bbq grill" or some other innocuous title. Not so sure how I will fare with restored ones like this blue grill.

You do make good observations that the pictures all show the outside but not inside where it counts. Also, though I have nothing against his "mod", he chose to move away from a pure restoration with original style slats and handle. I am hoping if I stay as authentic as possible that it would increase marketability. And obviously it has to be solid inside, although while I may use rcplanebuyer for the flavorizers, for the grates I will most likely be offering cast iron examples that I already have in my collection. Depending on the outcome of my "playoff" contest, I might try to sell either my stainless rod grates or GrillGrates, or maybe even offer "LarryGrates" as an option:D! I just hope I can find a sweet spot that will allow me to sell some of my over-accumulated projects:eek:! If I don't I can't really blame my wife for saying "enough is enough!"

Last edited:
Re-looked at the advertisement again. He does say he put new aftermarket stainless flavorizers and burners as well as a Weber warming rack and new igniter. So, only the grates are in question. Still think an inside picture would be important...

I agree Jon. I noticed the new stuff he had in there, but I would be wary of some of the aftermarket stuff. Some of it is really thin and won't last even if it is stainless and it is most likely the cheaper grade of stainless.

I wanted to see a photo of the inside just to see how well he cleaned it out. Did he clean up the inside of the hood? Otherwise, I think $275 around here might be tough for that grill, but it did look good on the outside and the Blue hood is a big plus in my book...others, maybe not so much. When I list grills for sale, I always get Weber, Genesis, Silver B, 3 burner, and stuff like that in the title along with the basic grill, bbq, etc... And yes, I prefer to restore them to as close to original as possible. I prefer the 6 or 7 slats to the two or three that others do anyway. But, I would replace the fake Durawood with real wood if needed instead of buying new durawood. I can't beleive anyone would rather have plastic than real wood that was finished nicely.

I agree about the wood, but in my case I keep using non-spar polyurethane! When will I learn? Next time!

I picked up my “Bluey Louis” (silver B) for $85.00, put new SS bars and Burners in, then decided I didn’t care much for it, it’s currently resting at my wife’s sons place under a new King Kong cover with no tank and he doesn’t use it! I might have to get it back and finish the restoration!

What????? You have access to a blue hood that isn't being utilized? I can't understand what you are waiting for.

I used it for about a season and decided that I really prefer charcoal, I gave it to the wife’s son and he has not touched it as far as I know, if it sits much longer, I will just go and get it.

I picked up my “Bluey Louis” (silver B) for $85.00, put new SS bars and Burners in, then decided I didn’t care much for it, it’s currently resting at my wife’s sons place under a new King Kong cover with no tank and he doesn’t use it! I might have to get it back and finish the restoration!

Tim you need to get that thing back and finish then sell it if no one is using that. I think the fact its blue will get that thing sold quick, I am a fan of the Blue also.

Brian

Back