This Does Not Sound Good

reducing booze is probably the biggest thing for me - I seem to do best when I drink once every week or two, but I drink a lot more than that sometimes.

>>>edit: I've never had diabetes, but I have a few meters. I watch to see how my BS (I'm full of it) is affected by different foods.

Last edited:
Ya well the report is out and nothing that was unexpected: red meat causes C, sausage causes C, yada yada yada. They been saying that for 40 years so nothing new.

Giving up red meat isn't much of a struggle. With the price of it up +300%, I have learned to love pork and chicken (fish is there but not as much). Now if there was only a way to smoke it without smoke I'd be all set. Love my 'q.

"... The organization defines processed meat as any type of meat that is salted, cured or smoked to enhance its flavor or preserve it. Processed meat generally contains pork or beef, but may also contain poultry..."

Moderation and regular physical activity are key. Having said that, it ****es me off that I have 10 lbs of carcinogenic smoked pork in my freezer. If I give it away as a gift, am I liable? :confused: :rolleyes:

I'm so mad that I had a turkey/bologna & cheese sandwich for lunch washed down with a glass of diet Mountain Dew. I also took out two cryovac sealed ribeye steaks out of the freezer for dinner this week...

Take that WHO!! :cool:

To me this just lowers the credibility of the World Health Organization. If you read the report the increase in chance of colon cancer really aren't that much higher and certainly not even in the ballpark (no pun intended) with asbestos or cigarettes. They can have my smoked meat when they pry the impacted remains from my cold, dead, cancerous bowels!

This cancer report is the best thing that ever came out. You know why? People who love bacon and sausages will read it and think "oh my, I don't want to die from that. I want to live forever so I'm not going to buy bacon or sausage any more. That includes people who love red meat by the way (steaks, etc).

What'll happen is lack of demand will LOWER PRICES!! The price of bacon will drop ergo the price of bellies wll drop. The price of pork and beef will drop. Those of us who don't consider the report as all that meaningful will rejoice.

Lower beef and pork prices for all :) Long live the WHO.

I agree with Neil regarding moderation in general. Len, I would love to think that was the case but aside from petroleum products recently (gasoline and heating oil), I can't think of anything that's come down in price -ever.

This news is nothing new, just recycled. I heard an interesting commentary regarding this on FOX news the other night, someone said that they believed this might be an agenda driven attempt by the WHO to 'save the planet' from 'global warming', in that this might be an attempt to soften demand for beef to reduce methane gas in the ozone layer.

I don't know, I always liked Wolgast's siggy:

"More is better, too much is just about right!"
Enough is never enough Bob. I'm gonna take my chances. LoL. Too good not to. I've heard enough of the bake instead of grill argument concerning carcinogens though. :(

Big Meat Is Not Taking This Lying Down

Report: Red Meat Linked To Contentedly Patting Belly:
"WASHINGTON—Saying the effects were almost immediate and largely unavoidable, the National Institute of Food and Agriculture released a report Tuesday linking red meat to contentedly patting one’s belly. “Our data show a strong, statistically significant correlation between consuming servings of red meat and pushing back one’s chair, letting out a satisfied sigh, and gently patting or rubbing one’s abdomen with either one or both hands,” said lead researcher Elliott Hyde"

and another:

Joy of bacon sandwich overrides cancer risk, says everyone
"The World Health Organisation (WHO) today announced that bacon and other processed meats are carcinogenic, and added them to the same list as alcohol, cigarettes and anything else that might bring you a snippet of joy in this otherwise cruel and desolate world."

Tell me again how great it is to live in California. :p

"California is examining new World Health Organization findings to determine whether to add red meat and foods like hot dogs, sausages and bacon to a cancer-alert list, setting the stage for a potential battle with the meat industry over warning labels.

The inclusion of meat and processed meat on the list could reduce consumer demand, hurting major producers and processors like Hormel Foods Corp and JBS USA. It could also open the door wider for litigation against meat companies from consumers diagnosed with certain types of cancer."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/28/us-health-meat-california-idUSKCN0SM0B620151028

Have or have you not ever used BACON? I could see it being used as an insurance question. I've read through the various articles and the science says it increases your risk but that risk is small in the first place. It's just a matter of people understanding the information and what it means and doesn't mean. Trust me I'm concerned enough to really read it carefully because I have a best friend who was recently diagnosed with colon cancer at 40. I'm personally not that concerned with the findings. I am concerned with people overreacting to the headlines.

There is no truth to the rumor that Lynyrd Skynyrd is rerecording there classic hit song with a new title:

'Gimme Back My Bacon'

..most likely

Tell me again how great it is to live in California. :p

"California is examining new World Health Organization findings to determine whether to add red meat and foods like hot dogs, sausages and bacon to a cancer-alert list, setting the stage for a potential battle with the meat industry over warning labels.

The inclusion of meat and processed meat on the list could reduce consumer demand, hurting major producers and processors like Hormel Foods Corp and JBS USA. It could also open the door wider for litigation against meat companies from consumers diagnosed with certain types of cancer."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/28/us-health-meat-california-idUSKCN0SM0B620151028

I wonder if the WHO findings take other (possible) cancer-causing circumstances at heart.

Sounds like someone fighting cancer would have a tough time convincing a court of law that red meat, or processed meat, caused their sickness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/upshot/know-your-risks-but-meat-still-isnt-the-enemy.html

"This means that, if I buy what the W.H.O. is saying, if I decided today to start eating an extra three pieces of bacon every day for the next 30 years, my risk of getting colon cancer might go from 2.7 percent to 3.2 percent. In other words, if 200 people like me made that decision, one extra person might get cancer. The other 199 would be unaffected."

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/upshot/know-your-risks-but-meat-still-isnt-the-enemy.html

"This means that, if I buy what the W.H.O. is saying, if I decided today to start eating an extra three pieces of bacon every day for the next 30 years, my risk of getting colon cancer might go from 2.7 percent to 3.2 percent. In other words, if 200 people like me made that decision, one extra person might get cancer. The other 199 would be unaffected."

Truthfully, I haven't ate much bacon of late. I do, however, eat my fair share of grilled Jimmy Dean sausage patties (at least one ounce per day at breakfast). My biggest concern is too much sodium. The software I linked to early in the thread helps me to keep tabs on salt.

Is fresh sausage considered a processed product?

I like fresh sausages much better than the fully-cooked variety.

Back