This Does Not Sound Good

Bill - this is a big can of worms :) Read or listen to Whole. It's very dry........ reading or listening to The China Study might be a better place to start (very easy book to follow). I'm of the opinion that vegetarianism is best and so is a minor (up to 30%) calorie deficit...... I've read so many books on diet & nutrition and I find a lot of things line up. I'd probably be as healthy as I want to be if not for alcohol :)

I'm doomed to have butt rot.

I know a guy who started bleeding out while on the road (stage 3? colon cancer). I've heard him tell his story a few times......... he didn't know what was going on. He lost a lot of blood but luckily was able to make it to the hospital in time..

Last edited:
I don't know. They say something is bad for you,then they say its not so bad. Then something else is gonna kill ya. I'll take my chances. As they say,all things in moderation.

For what it's worth, I drink a lot of green tea (fresh brewed). I like coffee, but it upsets my stomach.

Can't remember the specifics, but fresh-brewed tea is supposed to counteract the supposedly-cancerous-effects of grilling meat, and green tea is supposed to be the best.

And as for portion sizes, there is free nutrition software (less than 4 MB in size) available to track your calorie intake with. We stared using it in July to aid in weight loss, and the three of us have lost 40 pounds (as a group) so far. That's a big plus for someone fighting diabetes, hypertension, etc.

http://www.dietorganizer.com/

With that said, we do eat meat, but we don't eat quite as much as we used to.

baconlifeexpectancy.png

Is Grilling Good for You? Or Bad? Here's What Science Says

Here's an excerpt from the article...

How Grilling Stacks Up

The thing with both HCA and PAH is that they don’t only start to show up when you’re cooking meat on the grill–frying meat creates the chemicals, too, as do other high-heat approaches. Once the heat hits about 300 degrees, the more time spent over that heat, the more HCA forms in the meat, no matter how you’re cooking it.

This means that methods like boiling, baking, and slow-cooking (including barbecue, as long as you don’t include a grilling stage in your ‘cue regimen) are relatively carcinogen-free, compared to grilling and frying. But keep in mind: these compounds are just one factor in the whole complicated web of how what you’re eating impacts your health. A slow-baked ham, with all its salt and fat, might be worse for you than a piece of grilled chicken, and both are likely better than a chicken-fried steak. As with anything, the best way to go is moderation–though if you’re a die-hard char addict, it might be wise to adapt your palate to the pleasures of the medium-rare.​

Sounds like slow-cooking gets a free ride, and less-than-well-done steaks are better for you too.

"Like"

You're going to die of something. It may as well be something delicious.

These 'studies' have got to stop. Every day, there's another one that contradicts the one from the day before.

Last edited:
It seems as if there is always some group that wants to tell the rest of the world how to live. If they classify red meat in the same category as arsenic, they immediately
have lost credibility with me. And just what happened to "Pork, the other white meat"?

Man has been curing/smoking and cooking over live fire for ages.
According to this article we should be extinct..

Tim

My generation ate well and stayed slim until the do-gooders demonized fat in the 1970s without thoroughly analyzing the evidence.

Now, some doctors and nutritionists are starting to see the light and recommending a diet with less starch. Dr. Richard Bernstein has especially been vocal about this from years back, but the ADA and AMA scoffed at his findings.

Dr. Bernstein's story is an interesting one.

Last edited:
That Captain Obvious photo caption "Hamburgers count as red meat" cracked me up.

In other breaking news: fire hot - snow cold.

I am guessing that everyone who is involved with that study is a vegetarian. Enough said.

cranston.jpg

I'm sold.

Man has been curing/smoking and cooking over live fire for ages.
According to this article we should be extinct..

Tim

Good point, but with modern medicine we're living a lot longer. There was a quote I read that said how radical not eating meat is, but taking veins from our legs, putting in stints----taking lots of pills, that's normal..... another asked: "what's the disease or symptom (?) called where someone doesn't get enough protein?" Do you know anyone with a protein deficiency?"

My generation ate well and stayed slim until the do-gooders demonized fat in the 1970s without thoroughly analyzing the evidence.

Now, some doctors and nutritionists are starting to see the light and recommending a diet with less starch. Dr. Richard Bernstein has especially been vocal about this from years back, but the ADA and AMA scoffed at his findings.

Dr. Bernstein's story is an interesting one.

A lot of what I've been reading suggests otherwise.

"Paleo Nutrition Contradicts the Obvious: Most People Have Lived on Starch-based Diets

All large populations of trim, healthy people, throughout verifiable human history, have obtained the bulk of their calories from starch. Examples of once-thriving people include Japanese, Chinese, and other Asians eating sweet potatoes, buckwheat, and/or rice; Incas in South America eating potatoes; Mayans and Aztecs in Central America eating corn; and Egyptians in the Middle East eating wheat. There have been only a few small isolated populations of primitive people, such as the Arctic Eskimos, living at the extremes of the environment, who have eaten otherwise.

Therefore, scientific documentation of what people have eaten over the past thirteen thousand years convincingly supports that starch, not animals, is the traditional diet of people.

Men and women following diets based on grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables have accomplished most of the great feats in history. The ancient conquerors of Europe and Asia, including the armies of Alexander the Great (356 - 323 BC) and Genghis Khan (1162 - 1227 AD) consumed starch-based diets. Caesar’s legions complained when they had too much meat in their diet and preferred to do their fighting on grains. Primarily six foods: barley, maize (corn), millet, potatoes, rice, and wheat, have fueled the caloric engines of human civilization.

The longest living populations on planet Earth today live on starch-based (low-animal food) diets. These include people from Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Nicoya, Costa Rica; Ikaria, Greece; and the Seventh Day Adventists in Loma Linda, California, who live in what are called the “Blue Zones.”

The most effective diets ever used to cure people of common day illnesses, like coronary heart disease, type-2 diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, arthritis, and obesity minimize animal foods and require people eat the bulk of their calories from starches, including grains, legumes, and potatoes (foods forbidden to Paleo eaters). Medical giants in starch-based diet-therapy, include Walter Kempner MD, the founder of the Rice Diet at Duke University; Nathan Pritikin; and Roy Swank, MD, founder of the dietary treatment of multiple sclerosis at Oregon Health & Science University."

I don't exactly want to be the poster boy for anything around here, and I sure don't want to give anyone here a hard time, but I do want to share my experience & continue learning from others'.

Nutrition is a very complex subject, but I love it when I'm dialed in (low cal/alcohol, eating good, highly exercised).

Last edited:
A lot of what I've been reading suggests otherwise.

Paleo Nutrition Contradicts the Obvious: Most People Have Lived on Starch-based Diets

Yes, I've heard of the Paleo diet, and I guess that sounds a lot like Dr. Bernstein's diet, but I personally don't believe man ever lived on such a diet. Grains were available from the beginning according to Biblical records, so I am definitely not against starches, but back in the 1980s, big food corporations gave us so many refined starchy choices that it caused insulin levels to spike - which caused increased hunger - which led to more starch consumption - which caused waistlines to increase (including mine).

Too much starch can cause a chemical reaction in the brain whereby one continually craves starch (it's actually a proven addiction).

Dr. Bernstein recognized this early on, so now he advises his diabetic patients to eat a low-carb diet to get their blood sugar under control. His, is a very strict diet, but I never could eat with such low-carb restrictions, so I had to modify what would work for me. I lost 40 pounds as a result (used to weigh 274 pounds), but hit a wall until I started using the nutrition software I posted above.

I would love to eat a few more carbs than I do, but I have to do a balancing act to keep my blood sugar from spiking. Hopefully, when I lose another 20 to 30 pounds, I will be able to eat pulled pork on a bun without reaching for an insulin injection.

We're not that different at all :)

I was holding steady @ ~235, but in the 2002/2003 holiday season I'd drink way too much & could easily down a pound or two of chocolates. I didn't just do it once or twice, I had a ton of chocolates on hand (my cuz bought the family candy shop & that's pretty much all I gave as gifts to customers & friends---I felt good about buying from him and it made gift giving an easy choice.....I also had BOXES of the stuff.....and I've eaten it my whole life) before you knew it I hit 265 and stayed there for about 5 years. 2006-2007 I developed symptoms of arthritis. I was afraid to ride my dirt bikes or ski, afraid of getting hurt (self employed).

2008 I said WTH, started dirt biking & skiing again (I was a spry 265 :) ). I quit smoking on probably my 8th attempt this time cold turkey,,,,, nicotine & food cravings are very similar...instead of gaining a bunch of weight I dropped 30# (skiing all the time, got into backcountry skiing, got a GF who ...encouraged... me to only drink once every week or so.). I got as low as 201, thought I'd keep going but I stabilized around 215, crept back to 225 & then 235. Started lifting a bunch and was staying there, started supplementing with creatine & hit 245 within 10 days. I quit lifting right then :) I don't need to be huge, I'd rather have strength and endurance.

I've had a couple of hectic months.......a few out of town days for work, visited family out of town, & I've cut my drinking again, and started eating a lot better.....I'm back to 225,,,,hoping to stabilize here & then drop another 10 so I can be a strong skier again (hoping).

I'm no expert but I like a lot of these guys have to say (Dr John McDougall, T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., whoever wrote The Longevity Diet....). I've seen it work for me, I think.

When I bought my WSM in 2006 I got it in effort to make healthier food for weight loss.

This is all TMI.

Check this out - I had this playing in the background earlier today. Start @ 28:00 & give it 3 minutes of your time (to 31:00). I think you might find that portion interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfF_r2R8QM

BTW, I liked the look of that software, I'm just too lazy to enter data regularly.

Back