Thinking of Going to the Dark Side

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
Good afternoon all,
I am a LONG time Weber Kettle user, since the '80's. I haven't used my kettle much in the last few years. I have recently retired and am in the process of downsizing and relocating to the Nashville area.

I am giving my kettle away but am considering replacing it with a Spirit II E-310 once I get settled. This is purely for the convenience of gas and I plan on only cooking burgers, chicken and dogs with it. I will still have my WSM when the fam gets a hanker'in for pulled pork and such.

Am I totally nuts? Is the Spirit II E-310a good choice for a no frills quality grill?

Ha ha, you almost make it sound like you're ashamed of yourself for considering a gas grill! I've been using a Weber gasser for 25 years now and no regrets. I don't think a Spirit is a bad choice but you may also want to be on the lookout for a closeout Genesis II that won't cost much more than the spirit does and is a little bigger/nicer. In any case I would still prefer a Weber.

I would recommend a genesis with a sear burner. If you can find a used E330 or a closeout genesis II 335 or 325 that would be my suggestion.

I only use my gas grill for quick cooks and I do the majority of the cooks on the side with the sear burner going.

I've cooked on a genesis 310 without a sear burner otherwise the same year and size as my 330 and it's OK, but the extra 10K BTU from the sear burner under one grate is well worth it.

Last edited:
Not knowing your budget, here's an example.

$200 plus worst case new grates and Flav bars. I think this is a Genesis E325, a much better grill over the Spirit 310, in my opinion.

20230319_154520.jpg

My gas grills are just other tools in my shed, I will never give up my charcoal, pellet, or stick burners. I understand that the majority of gas grill owners only own a gasser, and that’s fine for them.

Stuff, stuff, stuff! I know what you mean! I just “scored”a platypus, do I need it? Nope, I just wanted one. i have my old ’95(?) Genesis and I’m very happy to have it. Do I use it a lot? Nope, I’m just glad I have it when I want it.
if I had space limitations… there are maybe 8 that would need to find new homes.
I’d keep the Overperformer and, the WSM. If I went someplace that would not allow charcoal? I’d just probably starve!

I'd go with a Q1200 and either a charcoal Go Anywhere or a Smokey Joe. That way you still save space but still have a charcoal option. Plus both are portable so that's a bonus.

Oh, and it’s not a “Dark” side, it’s the “Blue Side of Town” listen to some Del McCoury! When you hit Music City!😉

I would look for a deal on a close out Genesis or a Spirit. Although of the price is good on the Spirit II then so be it.

I’ve got two gassers, my Spirit and ‘97 Genesis. I don’t use either one but rarely, however this year I’m going to make it a point to use both and experiment.

My dad retired his kettle and used only a gasser (two different Genesis) for about 26 years. The convenience of gas, especially for summer weeknights, won him over.

Luckily, my family is a bunch of hoarders and we’re lucky enough to have some space to hide things and forget about them. I eventually found the (extremely dirty) kettle tucked away under some stuff, cleaned it up and wheeled it out to use.

FWIW, he’s much, much happier with the food off the kettle now that is back in action.

It may just be that I’m usually the one making it instead of him 😆

Nothing wrong with gas, espically if you're not into heavy smoke. We have two gassers a NG E320 which is our work horse and our 1998 gen 2000 with a little griddle that we use occasionally. For charcoal I've gone from my performer to a Jumbo Joe for the two of us that's all we need.

Of course, I forgot to answer the actual original question! 🙃

Like Dan and others have suggested, I would recommend trying to see if you can fit a model with a sear burner in your budget. The option of having the extra heat on one side really adds to what you can do with the gas grill.

I agree with the sear station suggestions. When I replaced my 20 year old Silver B, I went with the Spirit E-330 with sear station and side burner largely because of size, same grilling area as the older Genesis models. The sear station is well worth the price while I never use the side burner. Given the current prices, that Spirit is nearly as expensive as the new entry level Genesis with sear station but no side. A lot depends on how big a grill you need.

Back