Think I scored right here !!

Matt Grabill

TVWBB Fan
I was all set to buy a new SJG when I stumbled upon this gem.

IMAG0071_zpslas7f8hj.jpg

IMAG0072_zpssfjtmajh.jpg

IMAG0073_zpsatne726b.jpg

IMAG0074_zps5bjvuxvs.jpg

IMAG0075_zpswbzcnht0.jpg

Found it on CL and I hope I did not overpay..........$10 !! Didn't even haggle over price which is not like me.Looks like it is circa 1985 from the G code ? Love the wooden handles.After a good cleanup I believe she will be a star.Not a single chip or ding in the finish and the grates should be fine as stainless is still showing on cooking grate.Think I believe it when the gal said they only used it twice. I'll post some after photos when I get her done.
Thanks for looking
Matt

I'm looking for a portable soon. Was debating one of these or a joe.

Any thoughts on this?

Here are some after photos,a little soap and water and scouring pads,it is almost too nice to use......I said almost !!
IMAG0080_zpshkqqb28u.jpg

IMAG0081_zps7ziizzep.jpg

IMAG0082_zpsvxkmotqr.jpg

IMAG0083_zpsnajcr6ep.jpg

IMAG0084_zpsxwbehmd4.jpg

IMAG0085_zps3s6pnaxj.jpg

IMAG0086_zpsaxbedws5.jpg

IMAG0087_zpshzjuakud.jpg

I almost think I need to refinish the handles but I may just leave the patina and start cooking,trying not to swap the wood side handles for the lids of my Performer Platinum and WSM 18.5.........again,the addiction continues.

Nice bargain, Matt! The wooden handles are nice but note that the metal part of the handle isn't too difficult to bend up or down with a little pressure.

Also, I see that in your photos the legs are in the "in between" position. For cooking I pivot them all the way so the crosspieces are up against the grill bottom.

Any thoughts on this?
They're both nice but for tailgating I prefer the GA because its rectangular shape makes it easier to line up a row of sausages.

Last edited:
Great score. I paid 30 for my 99 go anywhere.

Love it. Never used a smokey joe but I would not hesitate to buy a GA.

Thanks Brad for the advice on the legs,much more stable.How about the side vents? I think mine are installed upside down which is how I got it.Seems like I saw somewhere that having them installed this way makes it easier to see vent hole? Does this really matter? Also,would a lid thermometer be any benefit?

According to this Weber site photo it does look like your vents are upside down, but don't know if it affects airflow. However, if they interfere with the legs you'll probably want to reverse them.

I use mine strictly for direct grilling and the lack of a thermometer isn't an issue, so I guess it depends on how you want to use it.

And since you brought up the vents I'm going to have to check mine now!;)

Last edited:

Any thoughts on this?

I bought one of those this winter so I could do a Bulgogi under the porch awning instead of having to dig out the kettle. It works great when cooking direct but I was disappointed in its ability to keep the temps up with the lid on. The other issue was the vent control sliders. They're very difficult to adjust and once you have a fire going they're blistering hot.

I bought a Smokey Joe this spring and wish I had gotten it first. The Go-Anywhere is more convenient to haul around with the locking handles but just doesn't seem to cook as well.

Couldn't resist.Had some roasted red pepper and spinach sausages in the fridge and fired up my new to me GA for a late afternoon snack while I watched the Masters.
IMAG0088_zpsmay67by0.jpg

A little cheese,chopped onion,and horseradish mustand rounds things out along with a beverage or two.

IMAG0091_zpsilizxl3p.jpg

Think I'm gonna like having this grill around.Excellent for a small quick cook.
Thanks for looking
Matt

That cleaned up really nice Matt, I had one back in the early 90's and wore it out, and last month I found two, an AD followed by a P code CGA
both were very clean to start with, the P used once and stored for 20 years. The bottom vents were upside down too and interfered with the legs
closing correctly and might be why it was used once.
I used to take mine to the drive in and cook burgers or sausages for the girlfriend and I before the movie would start.

Excellent way to break it in, Matt!

I see you used a pretty fair amount of charcoal. I've found that for brats, Italian sausages, etc. not many briquettes are needed; usually 12-16 or so spaced on the grate give off enough heat to cook things gently and as a bonus I have that many less to throw out if I'm tailgating.

MillerParkOpeningDay20140331_1.jpg

Last edited:

Back