Things you hate about BBQ....

Chris Stanek

TVWBB Fan
We all talk about the love when something comes out great... but what about the heartbreak?>

I'll lay it up first...

1) I hate it that no matter what I do, I ruin the first pizza every single time. I either the crap out of it, or the dough is still raw.

2) I hate it that I spend 4-5 hours making baby backs in my big smoker and only have a success ratio of about 70%. They're either tough as leather or dier than a popcorn fart.

3) I hate it when I salivate all day thinking about the 18 ounce Prime cut ribeyes I'm going to make only to overcook them despite doing everything the same as last time.

I hate the struggle of trying to grill the perfect chicken breast. That is one piece of meat that I have a hard time with. It often comes out tough, dry, or with a rubbery skin, or ALL of the above.
icon_mad.gif

1)I HATE when my wife tries to buy the steaks from the discount meats section!!
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif

2)The fact that I don't get to use my smoker/grills nearly as much as I want to!!
icon_frown.gif

Tim

Never have hated anything about BBQ.

HOWEVER..."Here are a few of my most UN-favorite things":

When my charcoal won't cooperate....WHATEVER the reason. (Actually been a couple of times I was so tired that it occurred to me that I might be getting what I deserved for taking shortcuts and not cooking with wood.)

When ribs are on sale but my wife says "But we had bbq three times last week" (...like I force-fed her one sandwich at a time or something.)

When my brother-in-law, or any other wise guy that knows how to light a grill, thinks they know it all about BBQ....(I'm still learning after having been at it for a decade or more, but dude has it all down.)

Sure, there's more, but my wife says I need to be more positive. I didn't mention my pet peive, ya'll. Aren't ya'll proud?
icon_biggrin.gif

What do I hate about BBQ?
If I can think of any thing I will come back and post it!
What I LOVE is when people say things like, "Man that is the best I've ever had" or
"How do you cook that"?
I guess I hate the price of meat! When I started this BBQ addiction, butts were like 99 cents a pound every where! On sale they were like 79 cents! Some one that wanted to get into BBQ ing asked me yesterday "What is a good price for pork butt" I told them any thing under 2 dollars a pound is decent!
BBQ is like crack cocaine!

I feel yer pain, Dean!

Went to Sam's yesterday and HAD to get spares since the price was down from $2.48lb to $2.18.

Well, I had a meeting this morning early and came back by Kroger. They had frozen St. Louis ribs for $2.99lb! It was all I could do but keep 'em out of the buggy. I told 'em, "No free rides for ENHANCED ribs today!" (Real reason though is that the wife would've killed me since the freezer's near full as usual.)

I hate it that me and my son are the only one's in the house that eat BBQ. I've tossed enough left over brisket we couldn't finish to feed an army.
icon_mad.gif

I'm in the "hate" clean up camp, too, but what I most hate is that my schedule only allows me to smoke about once every couple of months and grill once every couple of weeks. I have 500 or 600 lbs of charcoal and never enough time to use it. I HATE that.

Originally posted by Bill S.:
I hate it that me and my son are the only one's in the house that eat BBQ. I've tossed enough left over brisket we couldn't finish to feed an army.
icon_mad.gif

You need a foodsaver sealer

I hate that after I have spent all the time prepping, cooking, and enjoying the whole experience, sometimes I'm not that hungry when all is done due to nibbling or making too much...hmmm...maybe this is a good thing; leftovers!!!

Originally posted by Bill S.:
icon_mad.gif

You don't own a freezer?

Love everyone's comments. I hate driving past a fundraiser bbq and seeing a dude who is clueless manning the pit. CLOSE THE FING LID DUDE! Or going over to someones house who is clueless when it comes to cooking. I too hate the cleanup but my dishwasher is a god send. I hate that my wife is the pickiest eater in the world(she really really really is) and can't appreciate half of the succulent dishes I create. I hate not having more time to bbq everything I eat.

Back