There's no turning back now...

Did you sell that one? I can't imagine making any money on something like that.

So that begs the question, how much would it cost for a complete unfinished wood kit? And shipping would certainly kill it if the price of the kit didn't.
I don't know except to say expensive. In my case anyway, the wood slats are the exact same dimensions and profile as the durawood slats they replaced. The wood needed to be ripped, run through a planer, and the edges slightly rounded over to achieve that.

Did you sell that one? I can't imagine making any money on something like that.
No, I still have it, but it is no longer my daily driver. It has a blue lid now but it is pretty sorry looking. It is still solid, but just needs a good cleaning, which I don't like to do. At least it has spent its rehabbed life in the garage. That grill will probably get passed on to a friend or family. But, since it is my first real Weber (besides a Q100), and one of my first rehabs, I have a hard time letting it go. I keep telling myself that it is always handy to have another grill available for certain circumstances, but then as a rehabber, I always have an extra grill or two hanging around that I could press into action if needed.
I have my 2005 SS Platinum Genesis Frankengrill now that I use as my regular grill. It has a 13 bar deep box in it like the Genesis 1000 so it is very familiar to me, but one of the best things about it other than being virtually rust proof is that it is 37" tall from the ground to the grate level which is very convenient when cooking.

When I was reassembling I ran into the same problem with a too short crossover tube that DanHoo had. I don't have the patience to send the burner tubes back at this point so I used a good Weber crossover tube that I already had. I had to file down the small tab on the middle burner tube to make it fit together, but it works.

Posting a link to what will hopefully be a correct length tube.

https://tvwbb.com/threads/need-help...rrect-length-crossover-tube.88896/post-998346

Last edited:
EXCELLENT work. Definitely curious how the coating survives the burn off. When I loaded my inside with all new stainless, the burn off let loose some fumes from either the new internals or paint overspray; it's a must and the final step before the big rib eye (or wings like I used, haha).

EXCELLENT work. Definitely curious how the coating survives the burn off. When I loaded my inside with all new stainless, the burn off let loose some fumes from either the new internals or paint overspray; it's a must and the final step before the big rib eye (or wings like I used, haha).
We'll see. I don't have any immediate plans to use it so it may never become an issue. You're right though, if I were to cook on it, a nice burn off is a requirement.

We'll see. I don't have any immediate plans to use it so it may never become an issue. You're right though, if I were to cook on it, a nice burn off is a requirement.
In the car world we'd call it a Trailer Queen 😜

I'm not sure I'd cook on it either.

If it was a car, I would drive it. They are easy to wash and make nice again. If I cook on this grill just once it will never be the same again. Taking my time on this one.😃

Yah, but like you say, no sense owning a 67 vette if it never leaves the garage.

If it was a car, I would drive it. They are easy to wash and make nice again. If I cook on this grill just once it will never be the same again. Taking my time on this one.😃
A few options as I was told, and I went through the same anxiety myself. But in progressive order, you have to do the following.

1. If you already have a grill you like, keep using that.
2. If you don't want to use your restored grill, you have to sell it.
3. If you don't want to use it or sell it, you have to put it in your living room as a show piece.

Hmmm. Ok, let's go through this. I've had this grill since it was new. I'm very attached to it which is why I decided to save it from oblivion in the first place. It's not going anywhere. I did acquire an almost identical grill to use while I tore the original one apart. I have also become attached to that grill, so I will keep using that one until I work through my problem. I like your idea of putting the restored one in the family room, but may encounter pushback. In the meantime, I have room in the garage for it. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to restore the one on the patio and get another one to use while that goes on. Ultimately, I have to be careful about how many of these I collect because that's exactly what would be going on, I wouldn't be able to part with any of them.

A few options as I was told, and I went through the same anxiety myself. But in progressive order, you have to do the following.

1. If you already have a grill you like, keep using that.
2. If you don't want to use your restored grill, you have to sell it.
3. If you don't want to use it or sell it, you have to put it in your living room as a show piece.
Seriously Chris, you did a great job on your grill too. I imagine it was tough to use it after you were done with it. I'm never going to flip these things, I just really like them, especially the genesis x000 grills. At some point I'm sure parts availability is going to stop me in my tracks anyway.

Back