The Vortex Scorched My Thighs!!

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
A cone load of lit K-Pro and about 20m minutes later this is what I found.
Good thing I went out to turn the packet of potatoes around. First time this has happened.
Everything was done and pretty darn tasty, once the skin was removed.

1630968973389.png

I have never encountered that, sometimes I will add a few legs & thighs with my wings, usually come out really crispy with some excess grease due to the thighs. As long they tasted good, thats all that matters!

Sorry for your loss. I have used the vortex a few times now, and found there to be a decent window of time between cooked and burnt. I’ll have to pay more attention.

I do a lot of vortex with thighs (when I can burn coal), but never had that happen. The only thing I burn is my hand when I forget to put the gloves on to take off the lid, I guess I'm a slow or no learner now. But being up at 5400 feet I probably not getting the heat that you are.

The only thing I burn is my hand when I forget to put the gloves on to take off the lid,
That's the one thing that Weber did right on the newer kettles/performers.
Added that taco shell heat shield and raised the stand of the metal handle by a 1 1/2"
I can grab mine now with out a glove and that's using the vortex.:)

I had the same happen with a cook-full of wings on the WSC. The Vortex gets ripping hot in no time. I didn't catch it in time though and I had a pile of smoldering confetti on my grill grates. We had to order in...

Back