The Train Wreck Otherwise Known As My First Brisket - Chapter 2

Nate C

TVWBB Fan
For those of you offered your assistance after my first brisket "cook" (term used loosely), many recommended that I jump right back in and tackle another. Unfortunately I was not able to attempt my second brisket as quickly as I would have liked but wanted to update everyone on my second attempt today. For those that didn't read my first "How Not To Cook Brisket" it can be found here linky. It is a series of blunders and misteps that many first time brisket cookers can learn something from. Aside from being a literal train wreck on my part, there is a tremendous amount of advice by others who attempted to help me learn from my mistakes.

Last time, I tackled an entire packer from Wal Mart and for my second attempt, I decided to try something small yet it cost more!! :confused: I selected a 7 pound Choice flat from Costco and began by opening it from the cryovac. I noticed there was some blood that had pooled on the ends and I didn't want to spill it on my counter so hanging it over the kitchen sink, I began to open it with one of my knifes. Much to my chagrin, I accidentally sliced several cuts into the brisket. The morning was not starting well and I thought to myself "here we go again!!". I wasn't sure how much damage I had done but decided if I had ruined the meat, I was at least going to focus on improving over last time and work on the main piece of advice I had received, CONTROL YOUR TEMPS!!.

The flat from Costco didn't have alot of fat on it so I decided not to trim it at all. Given my love for Texas BBQ, I lightly dusted it with salt and pepper and began to prep the WSM. Note the slice in the meat, there were two others on the other side. I chose to show you the good side!! :cool:

20130719_070555_zps629f4aa9.jpg

One of the things I really struggled with last time was my temperature control. My temps were all over the place and having a WSM, this shouldn't have been the case. I got alot of great pieces of advice that I applied today and next photo will show you what I mean. @Brian Lee recommended using a cut out can to load the lit coals into vs. spreading them out (minion) which I have always done. @Steven P (Tupelo) recommended red oak (vs the hickory I had used the first time.) Below you will see the empty can waiting for some lit coals and six red oak chunks.

20130719_072822_zpsde13cc35.jpg

Once I dropped the lit coals in the middle and removed the can, I started following @Dave Alvarado's advice. I left all vents open and immediately dropped the brisket at 0800. Once the temps hit 200f, I closed 1 and 2 and left 3 at 30%. @Dave Alvarado also recommended I leave the top vent and the bottom open vent down wind which would also assist in temperature control. For the next hour, the temp gradually rose until it hit 270f. I didn't want it to get much higher so I closed vent 3 and the temps stabilized at 265-270 for the next three hours. This was my first sign that I was showing improvement from my first attempt. 3 hours with a stable temperature may not seem like much, but up until today, I have never been able to run a consistent temperature. First win of the day!!

Staying with the @Dave Alvarado theme, I foiled the brisket about 3.5 hours later when it hit an internal temp of 168f. This was my first time taking the lid off and once I put it back on (wrapped brisket), the temp spiked to 300f. The temps rode at 300f for several minutes and I feared it would not drop. So I dialed back the top vent about 25% and was able to get the temps back down to 275f pretty quickly. Opened the top vent back up and WSM putted along at 275f with no hickups. At 1250, the internal temp hit 190f and I pulled the temperature probe and began testing for tenderness (another @Dave Alvarado). Every hour, I would check for tenderness and at 1730, I felt it was ready and pulled the brisket and let it rest for one hour.

20130719_173915_zpsa83c022a.jpg

I began slicing the brisket and my first response was "this doesn't look like Aaron Franklins". Seriously that was my first thought...lol. I quickly reminded myself that Mr. Franklin took years and years to perfect his trade and this was my second brisket. I was disappointed though that it didn't "look" tender or juicy but after taking my first bite, I was pleasantly surprised. It was very tender, had great flavor, and pulled apart nicely. My wife and I ate the brisket on it's own and my oldest son threw it on a sandwich. As you will see I need some practice on cutting but hey, baby steps is my mantra. :D

20130719_183715_zps4216fb0c.jpg

First off, temperature control was a new term I can now add to my smoking arsenal. After 9 hours, I still had about a third of the coals that were still not lit. Big thanks to @Brian Lee for the empty can idea. It made a big difference in the steady burn I experienced and a HUGE thanks to @Dave Alvarado. He offered several pieces of key information that made this a successful cook and gave me a great foundation for future cooks. I also want to thank everyone else that offered advice. This is an exceptional community and i'm blessed to be a part of it.

EDIT: Any idea why no smoke ring? Maybe I should have had my chunks closer to the center where the lit coals were??

Last edited:
Nice job on your brisket!! Looks great!

Don't worry about the smoke ring... Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it happens when you put the brisket or meat straight out the fridge... I'm no expert on smokering.

Looks pretty good from here, and the colder the meat is definitely will affect the smoke ring. Nice job!

Hi Nate, congratulations! Glad everything went much better this time. You nailed it as the brisket was tender. And I enjoy your write ups.

Nate, thank you for the detailed write-up on your brisket smoke. I'll put a lot of that information to good use when I tackle MY first brisket!

Great.

I don't know why you didn't get a smoke ring. Next time try taking it directly from the fridge to the wsm.

Was the flat smokey? You used a lot of wood. I like light smoke flavor and would have only used one of the big chunks.

I get warm and fuzzy with all the positive interaction on this site. I don't post a lot but have gotten much knowledge from the pro's on here! Like Nate C. a big thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge and experience! Oh and Nate it's a great feeling when we get edible results isn't it? OMG that brisket makes me wanna get mine smoking as I was to lazy to get smoking this morning!

The most important thing is, and I quote you:

"It was very tender, had great flavor, and pulled apart nicely. My wife and I ate the brisket on it's own and my oldest son threw it on a sandwich."

What could be wrong with those results.

Great post, lots of good info for all to use.

Great.

I don't know why you didn't get a smoke ring. Next time try taking it directly from the fridge to the wsm.

Was the flat smokey? You used a lot of wood. I like light smoke flavor and would have only used one of the big chunks.

Flat tasted smokey but wasn't over bearing by any means. It was my first time using red oak and had no idea how much to use. Maybe next time I will try less.

Nate I would use a little less wood. Also just re-read your Chapter 1, something I have not seen mentioned is this. If you are along in the process with meat on the smoker and you need to add charcoal, two things to do. First do not use charcoal briquettes to do that. Briquettes like KB off gas when you start them up, often with a bitter funky smelling smoke. It will effect your meat and put God knows what residues or binders or other materials end up in them. Use lump charcoal if you have to add for dying heat situation, it does not cause the chemicals to effect you or your meat and your smoke is cleaner.
If you have to add KB or similar as you have no lump available light them first in a chimney starter and let the initial burn off happen outside your smoker.
Also I was wondering do you inject your brisket?
When doing a flat especially that does help. So does doing a quick mop on the outside once mid way before you wrap if you are going to do so. Use a apple juice/apple cider vinegar combo. Adds a little lite sugaring and taste to the bark and definitely helps with a nice bark formation.
Also I know there are die hard KB fans here, I have used it for decades for grilling and more recently for smoking, but once I tried using Stubbs especially it made a difference in temp control and all around consistency, it also does not seem to give off the same looking or smelling smoke when started as KB. For low and slow it is fantastic, as a matter of fact you have to work hard to get it to go over 290-300. It likes to burn low and slow and ignites real well steadily through the night.
Just some observations that may help.

First off, don't worry about short-duration temp spikes when you open the cooker or the side door. The WSM is great at holding temps for a given amount of fuel and airflow. It's like my first flight instructor told me many years ago that has helped my flying skills considerably...don't chase the airspeed indicator. This is barbecue not rocket surgery :D !

As others have said, put the meat on straight from the fridge. I usually trim and season my full packers a few hours before, and overnight on occasion, put 'em on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic cling wrap. They go on the WSM at fridge temp. I cook L&S at 225-230° grate temp for as long as it takes to get tender. Normally I use a Stoker when doing briskets and let 'em go overnight so I can have 'em the following afternoon. My problem is they don't always get perfectly tender, just nicely cooked. I usually go to about 195-200 internal but honestly it's all about feel. If you focus so hard on holding cooking temps or time you'll more than likely be disappointed in the results. Sounds like you've got a decent grasp of the basics. Now it's a question of experience and knowing what like buttah feels like, and when to expect it to feel that way.

I got a great smoke ring on a couple of butts I cooked today. No rub, high heat; about 8.75 hours at around 310 average dome temp. I used cowboy lump and hickory chips. Great bark, better than with rub, and good flavor. I haven't pulled it yet, mostly ate slices while it was cooking (advanced fire monitoring technique) and a chunk or two I threw into a salad....mmmmmm!

check out the Victorinox knife - it's a great alternative to my $119 electric slicer. Another thing (really the most important IMO) is don't worry about it - lots of ways to do things.....this is a very forgiving hobby. Just learn the principles and how things react....as in most everything I've seen in this world, there are lotsa ways to skin a cat ;)

Glad your cook went better this time!

It's funny that my advice helped you so much with brisket, considering I goofed up my last two. :(

Oh and for slicing, I bought a slicer like the one linked above, but I think I got mine for $10-15 at a restaurant supply store. That's also where I got my boning knife that I use to trim briskets.

Last edited:

Back