The Train Wreck Otherwise Known As My First Brisket - Enjoy The Ride

Nate C

TVWBB Fan
This post is intended to solicit ideas and recommendations on what I did wrong and offer to others a "what not to do" when prepping and smoking a packer brisket.

First, a little about me. I am a backyard smoker with approximately two years experience smoking butts, ribs, ABT's, etc. That being said, I have never smoked a brisket and have always been intimidated by them...now I know why. I am equipped with a WSM 18.5 and a Redi-Check digital thermometer which I am hopelessly attached too...it will be my demise.

Donning my favorite t-shirt and head lamp, I jumped into the arena of an overnight packer smoke.

To prep for my first brisket I spent hours (literally) reading, watching videos, taking notes, etc. I decided to purchase a 10 pound Excel Choice packer from Wal Mart and took it home to prep it for an overnight cook. I spent about 20 minutes comparing the packers and selected one that I felt had the best marbling and offered the most symmetry. I followed closely Aaron Franklins brisket videos and attempted to trim it as Aaron did. My packer did not look exactly like his in the video but I felt pretty comfortable with how I trimmed it. Then I think I made my first mistake. I put the trimmed brisket uncovered in my kegerator for approximately two hours until it was time to rub. One hour prior to putting it on the smoker, I removed it from the kegerator and immediately noticed it was very dry. I applied a light dusting of salt/pepper as Aaron recommended and noticed the rub was not attaching itself very well and parts of the packer were not even holding the rub (see how dry the side of the point is). I let it sit for approximately one hour at room temperature as I prepared the smoker. The rubbed packer looked like this.

Using the minion method, six hickory chunks, and a full water pan, I dropped the packer at 1030 PM. The packer was too big for my wee 18.5 so I foiled and bent the edges as seen on this forum. The weather conditions in the Seattle Wa. area were very mild with night time temps in the low 50's with little to no wind. I set my Redi-Check to alert me if the smoker dropped below 225 and above 275. Also when the internal temp reached 160 which was when I was going to wrap in paper. I opened my favorite adult beverage and watched Longmire as I monitored the smoker.

The temps were a steady 250 degrees at the grate and the internal temp of the packer was 148 two hours later. I was shocked the packer was cooking so fast but went to bed having the confidence that the Redi-Check would wake me if needed. Approximately one hour later it did, the smoker had dropped to 223 degrees. I adjusted the vents and had the temps steady again at 250 and fell asleep on the couch. Little did I know that the Redi-Check required I set all the alarm settings again (I did not know that) and around 4:00 am, I awoke and found the grate temperature to be 300. The internal temp of the packer was 173 and the water pan was empty. I refilled the water pan and decided to wrap the packer. This was the first time actually looking at the packer and it appeared very dry with little to no bark. I was now operating on about three hours of sleep (this will be my excuse the entire post) and wasn't sure what to do so wrapped the packer. I was unable to find butcher paper locally so I used parchment paper and placed the packer back on the top grate with temperature probe in the flat (another mistake I later learned). I also noticed at this point that some residue from the inside of my lid was starting to flake on the grill. I have never had this happen but several pieces of "gunk" were coming off the lid.

For the next five hours, I really battled high temperatures in the smoker (280-300) and was struggling to stabilize the smoker. Between 6:00 am and 11:00 am, I had to refill the water pan twice. I was trying to fill the water from the door and had to use a one liter bottle since it was the only thing I could find that would not spill water on the lit coals. I was able to get the pan filled about half way both times and at 11:00 am, the internal temperature hit 195 so I removed the packer from the paper. I was horrified with what I saw. Dry with no bark, ugly black color and I could still see the pepper on the flat. It frankly looked grizzly...

In the below photo, you can still see the pepper and you will also notice a couple pieces of residue that had come off from the inside of the lid.

I decided to put the packer back on the smoker without the paper in the hope to develop some bark and re-inserted the thermometer. Now my internal temperature was 182 and had dropped 13 degrees (now I know not to insert probe when in paper). It is now 11:00 am and I am running low on fuel so I add 25 lit coals hoping to get the packer flat to 195. Alas the temperature drops and never reaches the goal...I run out of fuel at 12:30 pm.

It's now been 14 hours since I dropped the 10 pound packer and I have still not reached the desired tenderness nor internal temperature. Instead of finishing the packer in the oven (I really wanted to finish it on the smoker), I decided to refill the coal chamber with new briquettes and dropped 10 lit ones on top. Within minutes I have dirty, nasty smoke billowing from the top vent and by this time I have about had it. I am thoroughly frustrated and frankly embarrassed. My wife (a Texan) says I need to instantly remove my t-shirt and says I am an embarrassment to all things Texas and BBQ (she didn't but that is how I felt). I pull the packer off and am ready to throw it in the trash but hesitate. I may have screwed up the bark and the outside may be horribly dry, but I really want to get it to tender and see the inside.

So I decided to wrap the packer in foil and stuck it in the oven at 300 degrees. It was 172 internally (different temps in different places on the point) and 90 minutes later it showed 195 internal. The probe was not going in like butter but I had read people had success with an internal temp between 195-205 and a minimum two hour rest. So I removed the foiled packer and put it in an cooler for two hours. Removed it and it looked like this.

I then cut a few pieces off the flat and they looked like this.

Very dry and very disappointing.

Some things I learned and feel contributed to my failed attempt:

1. After trimming packer, allowed it to dry before applying rub.
2. Inserted temperature probe while packer was in paper. Gave me false readings.
3. Focused way too much on temperature and not on tenderness. Frankly, I don't have the confidence to strictly rely on tenderness and the thermometer is my crutch.
4. Due to focusing on temperature, got wide array of readings which confused and frustrated me.
5. Even after pulling the packer out of the oven, the probe was not going in like butter but I relied on the temperature. The photo above is the proof that the internal temp did not tell the entire story.

Some unanswered questions:

1. Why was the top of the packer so dry? I had water in the pan (most of the time) and for the most part kept temps between 225 and 275.
2. What happened to the bark? Was it as simple as applying the rub to a dry piece of meat? Why did the pepper remain even after 14 hours on the smoker?
3. Was the cut portion dry because it was overcooked or undercooked? I think I undercooked it.
4. I ran out of fuel on a 10 pound packer after 14 hours and it was still not done. What happened?
5. I have never had to refuel. After this experiment, I am guessing refilling with unlit fuel is not a good idea?!
6. Why did the lid start to drop residue all of a sudden?

My wife and kids got a good laugh and we ended up having Chinese food for dinner. I am hoping I can salvage the point and use it for burnt ends which I was really looking forward too. Maybe another day...

Last edited:
Did you remove the membrane on the meaty side? I did not and my rub was still pasty. The meat was most but there was little bark or smoke ring.

I usually cook full packers from Walmart, too. I trim the fat cap down to 1/4 thick. I like to mix my rub with a little apple juice to make a paste and smear it on all of the non-fat areas. If I'm letting it sit in the fridge, I always cover it with foil. I put it on the smoker fat cap up. I usually don't wrap it on the smoker, but when it's done I wrap in foil and let it rest for an hour or two.

Don't get discouraged - we all have cooks that frustrate us. It sounds like you started with a piece of meat that didn't seem right from the very beginning. I'd grab a smaller flat or two from the grocery store to play around with for a shorter cook. If you can get a flat where you like it, you'll get the full packer there, too.

Nate,

Your list of "things I learned" are on point. Very common for folks to rely on temperature.
May I suggest, just like falling off a horse, is to do another one as soon as you can. This time use temperature as a guideline only. Test for tenderness. You will feel the difference as the meat starts to get tender !

In the meantime, use your first go around as part of some other dish. You'll be surprised how tender this brisket becomes.

For your next brisket, if everything goes well and I'm sure it will, once you reach tenderness and pull it off the smoker, let it cool down to stop the cooking process before wrapping in towels or placing it in a cooler. (otherwise you will go the other way... overcooked! )

Bob

Oh man, I really feel for you. My first brisket went well, but I know it's tough to get right. When I did mine it was a bit bigger than yours and I was using a BBQ Guru so my temps held steady at 225 for 18 hours. I second the advice to get another one and try again as soon as possible.

I'd also recommend you read up on high heat briskets on here and maybe give that a try. Overnight cooks without an ATC can be daunting - I don't think I'd ever do one without it again. I cooked 48lbs of pork butts on my 18.5 last night and got a full 7 hour sleep. I ended up pulling the butts at 180 because they were probe tender at that point, so I agree with not getting caught up with what the thermometer is telling you...just use it as a guide.

Good luck with your next one!

I've never tried a HH brisket. I do them low and slow overnight. I let them rest in foil and a cooler for an hour or two before I serve them. I slather them in mustard before I rub them. You can't taste the mustard in the final product, but it helps the rub stick to the meat and promotes a good bark formation. Sometimes, some briskets just taste better than others no matter how well you cook them.

Fuel consumption on overnight cooks varies in my experience. Sometimes I'm almost out of fuel after 12hrs, and sometimes there's quite a bit left over after 16+ hrs. Weather conditions, amount of meat, and how tightly the charcoal is packed into the ring all can affect the amount of burn time. If I have to add more in the morning it's not a big deal to me.

Take what you learned from this cook and try it again.

How to succeed at brisket:

1. Keep your pit temps stable.
2. KEEP YOUR PIT TEMPS STABLE!!!
3. When your brisket stalls, foil it. Ignore anybody who makes fun of foiling, this will break the stall and help your brisket get done before it dries out too much.
4. When your brisket hits about 190F internal, remove your temp probe and start poking it to see if it's done. Poke with a kebab skewer or something, don't even bother with something that tells you a temperature. When it goes in like warm butter, it's done. If you like a firm bark, remove the foil at 190F. If you don't care, leave the foil on, it'll get done faster.
5. When you pull the brisket off the pit, LET IT REST.

I ran into a lot of the same issues as you. Don't sweat it, brisket just isn't as forgiving as butts. You have to keep your pit stable. If you can't, pull the brisket out of the smoke after 5-6 hours--it won't absorb much more smoke after that anyway, so your smoker is just a hard-to-use oven at that point. Use your easy-to-use oven instead to finish the cook. I started turning out really good briskets when I stopped listening to what anybody called "real" BBQ and started focusing on getting consistent heat into the meat.

Oh, and pepper doesn't dissolve. You can always see it on the brisket when it's done, that's normal. If you're making TX-style BBQ, you won't have a rub turning into bark anyway--that's for the folks that coat their meat in sugar and stuff. Salt, pepper, a little garlic powder if you want. A light coating of each, just enough for a bit of flavor. That's all the rub you need for TX-style. Focus on cooking the meat right first, then play with rubs and stuff.

Nate,

Don't be too hard on yourself. Brisket is a tough cut to get to turn out well consistently. My first few were pretty rough; it's hard to be patient through that long of a cook.

The replies you're getting have a lot of good tips and pretty well covered everything I can think of.

Don't let the meat go to waste, though. One of the first briskets I wrecked ended up having a "silver lining," you might say. I cubed it up and used it in a pot of chili, and it was fabulous; been using brisket in my chili ever since. After you've got your onion and pepper cooked, throw in a bunch of cubed brisket and enough water to cover it and simmer it for a couple hours. While it's simmering, go get another brisket. :)

Great write up. Be sure to read it again when you do another brisket. I like both Dave's ^ comments.

Flakes were from the water. If your temps are above the boiling point the steam forms a brown layer on the lid that can flake off onto your food.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/faq.html#rust ...this would also explain why you had to fill the water bowl so often. If you use water you may consider cooking below the boiling point.

...or if it was black it could be carbonized grease http://virtualweberbullet.com/faq.html#peeling

One last though: this was your first attempt. You're a good student but imagine how many briskets Franklin torched before he found success. Make lemonaide ...er ...uh chili.

I look forward to your next attempt. ...nice shirt!

Last edited:
Interesting story, and I'm sorry to hear it happened, but don't even give up! You have to keep the temps stable, I find that 250 degrees is perfect for a packer. Also, get a bigger one next time, the bigger the better. I used to use water, not any more. Line the water pan with foil and just use as a deflector. I take mine to 170 and then foil. In a few hours it should be in the 190's and you can remove and let sit for an hour or 2 before slicing. By foiling it steams some in it's own juices and will not go dry on you. And one more thing, I do mine during the day when I can keep my eye on the temps and enjoy a few beers along the way.

Try again soon. I'd recommend giving your next one a good slathering of mustard or worcestershire before applying a rub. Try some mesquite or red oak with that brisket, and save the hickory for pork. Cook it until it jiggles like jello, usually 200-205 degrees internal temp in my experience.

I appreciate everyone's feedback thus far and your responses have been extremely helpful. Temperature control appears to have been my biggest issue and I am not sure how I can get my WSM to burn more consistently. In the past, temperature spikes have been very common for me and this is why I used the water pan for my first brisket. Actually, it was my first time using the water pan!! There were a couple times where I had all lower vents closed and the top vent virtually closed trying to get the temp down. I feel like I have a good seal on the door and I usually don't have wind issues so not sure why I have such peaks and valleys on my WSM. Maybe it's normal, i'm not sure...

The recommendations of chili and grilled cheese are awesome. Chili with the cubed shoe, I mean brisket will be dinner tonight. :)

Oh..my wife says my fathers day gift is another brisket so i'm doing another one next weekend.

Here are my notes from a packer cook a couple weeks ago. It was my first overnight brisket in a while -- been doing high heat -- and it turned out great. Maybe these notes will help you.

14.71 lb. Brisket from Sam’s; trimmed to 12.57 lbs.

Rubbed with S&P and put in fridge for several hours. Close to cook time, injected with beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and San-J tamari sauce. Added rub of garlic and onion powders, paprika, and cumin. Back in fridge for about 3 hours.

Fill WSM with Stubb’s. Remove and fire 25. Put lit on with chunks of hickory, apple, and cherry.

Hot water in pan.

8:00 p.m. Meat on. WSM at 225 to 250 overnight.

8:00 a.m Meat 175 to 200, depending on thickness, but temps had dropped a bit when I checked a few minutes later. [Meat seems to give a “false high” when wrapped or under the lid a long time.]

WSM temps dropped to 150+ after lid off. Stirred coals. Seemed to be plenty of charcoal left to burn. Opened vents a bit more.

8:30 Put meat in foil pan with HD foil cover.

10:00 WSM temps below 200. Added several unlit. Temps back up.

10:30 meat off. Wrapped in foil and towel in ice chest. Forked tender. Not falling apart, but wanted to keep juicy.

3:30 sliced some and chopped some. Removed flat for chopped to mix with lean flat. Moist. Good results.

Sorry to hear of your brisket misadventure. I can't help you much there, as I'm a noob myself but as for your current dilemma...

After your grilled cheese and chili...or possibly before, might I recommend you slice that bad boy thin and put it in a sauté pan with some beer and green chili sauce. (Salsa verde). I usually sauté some onions and peppers first, then pull them and cook the meat. This, with some cheese and cilantro and sweet onion on some corn tortillas will make some seriously hella-good tacos!! I had a catered event at work a time back that we offered steaks and potatoes to our guests. As my division bought and paid for those steaks and I saw an entire pan that went uneaten, there was NO WAY the single mom in me was letting that go! But what do I do with already grilled medium steaks. Tacos, baby, and they were excellent. I've since given this treatment to leftover beef of all kinds and it hasn't failed me yet. The beer tenderizes as well as adding loads of flavor as it cooks down a melds with the juices and fat from the meat.

And tacos soothe the soul :) along with a margarita or two...

Hope this helps
CarrieAnn

How to succeed at brisket:

1. Keep your pit temps stable.
2. KEEP YOUR PIT TEMPS STABLE!!!
3. When your brisket stalls, foil it. Ignore anybody who makes fun of foiling, this will break the stall and help your brisket get done before it dries out too much.
4. When your brisket hits about 190F internal, remove your temp probe and start poking it to see if it's done. Poke with a kebab skewer or something, don't even bother with something that tells you a temperature. When it goes in like warm butter, it's done. If you like a firm bark, remove the foil at 190F. If you don't care, leave the foil on, it'll get done faster.
5. When you pull the brisket off the pit, LET IT REST.

I ran into a lot of the same issues as you. Don't sweat it, brisket just isn't as forgiving as butts. You have to keep your pit stable. If you can't, pull the brisket out of the smoke after 5-6 hours--it won't absorb much more smoke after that anyway, so your smoker is just a hard-to-use oven at that point. Use your easy-to-use oven instead to finish the cook. I started turning out really good briskets when I stopped listening to what anybody called "real" BBQ and started focusing on getting consistent heat into the meat.

Oh, and pepper doesn't dissolve. You can always see it on the brisket when it's done, that's normal. If you're making TX-style BBQ, you won't have a rub turning into bark anyway--that's for the folks that coat their meat in sugar and stuff. Salt, pepper, a little garlic powder if you want. A light coating of each, just enough for a bit of flavor. That's all the rub you need for TX-style. Focus on cooking the meat right first, then play with rubs and stuff.

i plan on printing this and adding it to my notebook on bbq. Good advice , common sense and very concise. Thanks for sharing

You'll get there. Try to keep this simple.

You need to be able to control your smoker more accurately before you do an overnight cook.

If you are seriously discouraged, forget the wsm and cook one in the oven to get the basics down.

I appreciate everyone's feedback thus far and your responses have been extremely helpful. Temperature control appears to have been my biggest issue and I am not sure how I can get my WSM to burn more consistently. In the past, temperature spikes have been very common for me and this is why I used the water pan for my first brisket. Actually, it was my first time using the water pan!! There were a couple times where I had all lower vents closed and the top vent virtually closed trying to get the temp down. I feel like I have a good seal on the door and I usually don't have wind issues so not sure why I have such peaks and valleys on my WSM. Maybe it's normal, i'm not sure...

The recommendations of chili and grilled cheese are awesome. Chili with the cubed shoe, I mean brisket will be dinner tonight. :)

Oh..my wife says my fathers day gift is another brisket so i'm doing another one next weekend.

Virtually closing the top vent could have contributed to your problems depending on how long it was closed for. Getting better control of your cooker should fix a lot of your problems. Good luck with your next cook.

Back