The "Tin Can Minion Method" with Pepper Stout Beef

This is definitely on my short list of upcoming smokes... How many sammies does a typical roast yield? Does this freeze and reheat ok?

There are too many factors to be able to forecast "how many" sandwiches. It depends entirely on how much you pile up on the bread:D. On the other hand, you can (and I certainly do) freeze in portion packs and thaw for a later meal.

Tonight I came home from a trip and we warmed up the PSB and had great sandwiches in minutes. LOVE IT!! A vacuum sealer would be perfect but I have yet to buy one. We are currently using zip lock bags. I have been looking at vacuum sealers (Food Saver, etc...) but have not yet pulled the trigger. Incidentally, I found the little Ebook, "The Complete Vacuum Sealer Guide" full of useful information:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004VF6BHQ/tvwb-20

Dale53

Hi everyone. I'm making 2 Boston butts Monday and am going to try this tin can method that was suggested by a forum member - just one question, what do you think is a ROUGH time from putting the hot coals in the tin can until I hit about 200 degrees? Maybe an hour? I plan on using 20 briquettes and filling the fire ring to the top, and keeping the bottom vents mostly open until I'm close to 200. I will post pics and results Monday in a new thread. Thank you!

...what do you think is a ROUGH time from putting the hot coals in the tin can until I hit about 200 degrees? Maybe an hour? I
why wait? put the meat on after you dump the lit coals in and remove the can...

Matt.
Just go with what Mr. Lampe said, & you'll be golden. That is exactly what I do…..every time.

Have everything ready to go, (meat on, probes in, lid on), then as soon as you pull the tin can out, lift up the assembled middle & lid and plonk it down on the lower bowl.
This will give you plenty of time, if you're going to cook at 250f. I usually choke back all three lower vents, @220f, to about a quarter or eigth open leaving the top vent fully open. This may take 45mins to 1 hr as everything heats up.

My tip: Leave the meat in the fridge for as long as possible. I only take the meat out of the fridge, and put it on the top grate, when I am firing up the few briqs for the tin can.

Last edited:

Back