The Restored Weber Skyline Genesis.

I like this idea.

Thanks.

How often can these wood planks be re-used? Do they eventually wear down, or can they be re-used for several years?

For me and most people they are a one-time-use. They are so inexpensive that's really not a problem. I've heard of people using them more than once but I would not recommend it.

They look good now. But if you look at your picture you'll notice that one bar is slightly askew. If you look at the bars from left to right you'll see that the second bar is not quite nestled in between The Notches towards the back of the barbecue. The rest look like they're in between The Notches like they should be.

Thanks for that.

One of the nice things about the wood planks is you can get them in a variety of different Woods. For example Cedar, Cherry Etc. And depending on your taste you can get the smoke flavor from the plank while you cook on it.

Here is a leg to grilling with wood planks for you to check out.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/grilling-fish-on-a-plank-334339

Hope that helps.

Nice guide.

I ended up getting 2 3-packs of these pre-soaked ones:

https://www.houzz.com/product/36742...onal-grill-tools-and-accessories/lid=22711113

These were "large size". This brand also has "single serving size".

For something that's one-time, it's more than I wanted to spend, although part of that is because I got the pre-soaked ones.

I guess I'll see the condition it's in after one use.

I have trued this but have to say I did not like my food tasting like the smell of my mom's old cedar chest

I just put my fish right on the grates.

I've done that before with some success, but always found the planks are much easier. And I don't recall having a bad taste from they would, just a slight smoke flavor. I don't remember what planks I was using at the time I did it though.

If you can find apple or cherry wood planks, they would probably be a good option. They have a more mild smoke flavor than some of the hickory or oak or mesquite and are a better match for fish and chicken.

spray the underside of the fish with some cooking spray just before putting it on the grates. Works for me on other meats.

You didn't have a problem with the fish sticking to the grates?

I didn't have that the first time, but had it the 2nd and 3rd time.

Bruce has the answer Weber says don't spray the grates, rub the meat or whatever with your choice I use olive oil then stick it on the grill.

I simply oil the fish with some olive oil or grape seed oil. Though if I am cooking salmon I actually WANT it to stick. I cook salmon with the skin on. I cook it indirect and once it's roasted to what I want I depend on the skin sticking. It allows me to slide a very large spatula under the meat between the skin, pull the meat leaving the stuck skin. Once the grill cools the skin releases and I simply discard it, otherwise with other fish i,e, catfish, Mahi Mahi, Monkfish, swordfish, tuna and others I use relatively high heat, lube the fish and grill it just like meat. I actually do salmon like this as well when I am in the mood for it but mostly the kids and I like it smoke roasted and I season it with a type of sweeter BBQ rub first this https://www.weberseasonings.com/product/weber-kc-bbq-rub is one I am fond of. I will also at the end give it a glaze with either high quality true maple syrup or my home made maple syrup. Anyway I just don't like the flavor of cedar in my food. Makes it taste like I am licking a deck :D

spray the underside of the fish with some cooking spray just before putting it on the grates. Works for me on other meats.

Bruce has the answer Weber says don't spray the grates, rub the meat or whatever with your choice I use olive oil then stick it on the grill.

I did do this the 3rd time, as I used the Cajun's Choice seasoning mixed with some olive oil. But I'll try some combination of all of these suggestions again, before trying the wood planks that I ordered.

Also, it only stuck after I flipped it over. Not during the first flip (after initially cooking it on one side).

I simply oil the fish with some olive oil or grape seed oil. Though if I am cooking salmon I actually WANT it to stick. I cook salmon with the skin on. I cook it indirect and once it's roasted to what I want I depend on the skin sticking. It allows me to slide a very large spatula under the meat between the skin, pull the meat leaving the stuck skin. Once the grill cools the skin releases and I simply discard it, otherwise with other fish i,e, catfish, Mahi Mahi, Monkfish, swordfish, tuna and others I use relatively high heat, lube the fish and grill it just like meat. I actually do salmon like this as well when I am in the mood for it but mostly the kids and I like it smoke roasted and I season it with a type of sweeter BBQ rub first this https://www.weberseasonings.com/product/weber-kc-bbq-rub is one I am fond of. I will also at the end give it a glaze with either high quality true maple syrup or my home made maple syrup. Anyway I just don't like the flavor of cedar in my food. Makes it taste like I am licking a deck :D

Yah, that is true. I do it all the time, but if your aim is off when you start spraying it becomes a blow torch like adventure. But, I still do it and am prepared for it flaring up for a second and I have gotten pretty good so that it very rarely happens any more. You can always lift the fish or other meat off the grill on the spatula and spray it as well before you flip it.

Back