The invasion is beginning.

So weird some of the things that happen in other states.
It’s one of the things I like most about this place is learning more about where you guys are from and some the things that come with that.
Cicadas? That weird white stuff on the ground in winter.

Always glad you guys share stuff like this.

I've been through a lot of 17 year cicadas and have never heard them at night. But one thing I CAN tell you. Back when I was riding motorcycles was during one of the 17 year invasions. And even when wearing leathers, when you hit one at speed, it felt like you got hit with a baseball :D

I've been through a lot of 17 year cicadas and have never heard them at night. But one thing I CAN tell you. Back when I was riding motorcycles was during one of the 17 year invasions. And even when wearing leathers, when you hit one at speed, it felt like you got hit with a baseball :D
Just like a June bug. Gravel with wings.

We just started seeing them the last couple days. A lot of our area is newer construction and I was hoping we would dodge them. Nope...

13 year also and from what I read, both 13 and 17 hatch this year
Yep, here we are having the 13 and 17 year group emerge. Last time I remember that happening, I lived in Ohio and used to camp a bit. You could not walk in the woods without crunching them and the constant drone would drive you nuts. Good times..

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING UNUSUAL to wow — or gross out — family and friends at your next backyard barbecue? How about cooking up some earthy, crunchy cicadas?

When broods of cicadas emerge from on their 17-year cycles, it can be a unique opportunity to try an unusual, low-fat protein source.

View attachment 91621

Where's @Joan when we need her? :D

I could never do Malort. That's a Wrigleyville type of liquor.
From what I've heard of Malort, cicadas are an improvement.

June 20 is Cicada Night at the Kane County Cougars.;)

We were in Brookfield (IL) last Saturday and could hear the cicadas. I heard them every summer when I was a kid, and it was actually a bit nostalgic.

Well they're beginning to "sing" now. Of course these will die off and then come late July into August the annual ones will begin.

I was in Vienna VA for a while back in the early 80's when they came out of the ground. They were everywhere, I had never seen so many bugs anywhere. What amazed me most was the noise, I've never heard such a racket

I just stepped outside and listened, no cicadas. So maybe they're not here yet. Come to think of it, I haven't heard much from the peepers that're usually around, either.

However, I did have to yell "You go home!" at the possum nosing around under the bird feeders.

Back