The Humor Thread

Before I moved to Charlotte in 1995, I spent a couple years delivering appliances for Sears.
Sometimes, the homeowner would have a fairly decent old refrigerator/stove/washer or dryer, and we'd ask what they wanted done with it.
Sometimes they wanted them moved to the garage or outside.
Sometimes they'd ask if we could take it. If it was in good shape, we'd sell them to used appliance dealers for $20-40 and the driver and I would split the money. There was one dealer that would take the harvest gold/avocado/turd brown 70's appliances! He generally wouldn't pay as much for those, but $10-20 cash is always a good thing!!

Before I moved to Charlotte in 1995, I spent a couple years delivering appliances for Sears.
Sometimes, the homeowner would have a fairly decent old refrigerator/stove/washer or dryer, and we'd ask what they wanted done with it.
Sometimes they wanted them moved to the garage or outside.
Sometimes they'd ask if we could take it. If it was in good shape, we'd sell them to used appliance dealers for $20-40 and the driver and I would split the money. There was one dealer that would take the harvest gold/avocado/turd brown 70's appliances! He generally wouldn't pay as much for those, but $10-20 cash is always a good thing!!
Did the same thing with Yahoo Freecycle.

One family got rid of a working fridge that would not cool well, and it ran all the time too. I looked under the door and found a one-inch think mat of lint blocking the airflow. I peeled off the lint mat and the fridge cooled as it should. Found another freebee in the form of a fairly new washing machine. All it needed was a $15 water limit switch. It's astounding the items some folks toss aside that could be fixed.

It's astounding the items some folks toss aside that could be fixed.
Can I get a heck, yeah?

Okay, some things I just won't mess with, like refrigerant loops in refrigerators (I will clean coil exteriors.) I'm about ready to tear back into a 15 year old dryer because I'm getting really tired of the lint trap letting too much past. Installed a new stove, a water softener & a couple of new electrical circuits. Shoot, one of the smartest things I've done here right after we bought the house was to replace a half a dozen outlets with built-in night lights.

<chuckle> This just crossed my mind. Someone that my g/f works with had a significant birthday a few years ago, and I smoked a brisket for the bash. As night fell, 4 of us were sitting around her dining room table. She came through, stopped by the light switch and said "this is gonna be bright!" Wait a sec..... that's a dimmer, just turn it down. Can't do that, the dimmer is shot. I looked at my watch, said Menard's is still open. She already had the replacement dimmer, she just hadn't hired anybody to put it in yet. Cue the fun..... go get the dimmer, and turn the power off at the breaker. A buddy of mine held up his cellphone as a light source, and my Leatherman got pressed into service for 10 minutes to swap the dimmer.

There are some things that everyone should be able to do.

I went to BreadCo with my wife a couple days ago. Not my cup of tea. I got a sandwich, bowl of soup, bag of chips and a piece of prison bread. Wife got a sandwich, cup of soup and a bag of chips. $40.00. To me that place has the value and appeal of Starbucks. I know in StL that is like bashing Imo's, but I do not like them either. I could have made us a couple nice steaks for that.
I'm a St. Louis resident and do whatever I can to avoid Panera - as you said, it's over priced and the quality isn't all that great either. The one closest to my house is probably the worst one in town.... they run out of bagels all the time, even at 8 AM in the morning. My wife actually drives 15 minutes or so out of her way to get the bagels we like....

I'm a St. Louis resident and do whatever I can to avoid Panera - as you said, it's over priced and the quality isn't all that great either. The one closest to my house is probably the worst one in town.... they run out of bagels all the time, even at 8 AM in the morning. My wife actually drives 15 minutes or so out of her way to get the bagels we like....
Yep. The wife ordered the chicken salad on croissants and they were out of croissants--at lunch time.

I went to BreadCo with my wife a couple days ago. Not my cup of tea. I got a sandwich, bowl of soup, bag of chips and a piece of prison bread. Wife got a sandwich, cup of soup and a bag of chips. $40.00. To me that place has the value and appeal of Starbucks. I know in StL that is like bashing Imo's, but I do not like them either. I could have made us a couple nice steaks for that.
I don't mind Panera or whatever it's called in your neck of the woods. While it's not my favorite chain bagel (Einstein Bros has it for me), it's good for a quick breakfast while travelling.
One thing I like is that they give away the unsold bread at night to food charities!
Or at least, they're supposed to!
Our next door neighbor, very nice people that they are, have a friend who manages to "intercept" plastic grocery bags full of bagels and breads and sweets! They have 2 small kids, one of which is special needs, so I know that money is tight.
The problem is, if they have a bunch of the "Intercepted" Panera stash, they'll give it to us!
Now, it's just Pammi and myself, so the stuff will go bad before we can put a dent in it!
Pammi was just disposing it properly, but I've started taking it and throwing on the side of the road for the birds to eat!
But please don't tell the neighbors, as they really are sweet people!

Phil, if you enjoy Einstein's or Panera's bagels....... you need to try a bagel from either a New York deli, or a good Jewish or home town style deli. My understanding is that most commercially produced bagels are baked in a steam oven that tries to mimic the malt infused boil step, as it's a lot cheaper for production costs. Traditional bagels are kneaded, formed, proofed, boiled, and baked. The crust on a steam baked bagel is a good deal softer than a boiled bagel. I'm starting to get the bagel itch again, but I'm just not going to have time in the next couple of weeks.

The thing that pisses me off about the chain and grocery bagels are that they only coat one side with toppings. You get 1/2 plane. 1/2 everything for example.

Phil, if you enjoy Einstein's or Panera's bagels....... you need to try a bagel from either a New York deli, or a good Jewish or home town style deli. My understanding is that most commercially produced bagels are baked in a steam oven that tries to mimic the malt infused boil step, as it's a lot cheaper for production costs. Traditional bagels are kneaded, formed, proofed, boiled, and baked. The crust on a steam baked bagel is a good deal softer than a boiled bagel. I'm starting to get the bagel itch again, but I'm just not going to have time in the next couple of weeks.
There is a chain here called NY Bagels and their bagels are head and shoulders better than either Panera or Einstein Bros! It’s just hard to get there on the weekends when we want a bagel for breakfast.
There’s a local joint up the road that has really good bagels! I’ve been known to go get them for breakfast while Pammi is getting groceries from Wally World and meet her in the WW parking lot for breakfast!
That’s a summer time activity when she’s out of school though

Back