The Great Debate: 18 or 22?

I do not own a WSM but wouldn't 22.5" WSM burn the same amount of fuel to bring and maintain temp in the chamber regardless of what size charcoal ring you use? At least that was the case with my UDS when I experimented with different sized coal baskets.

Last edited:
I am torn at this point and am leaving my decision to everyone here for the most part. I currently have a Brinkman Bullet Smoker, roughly the same size as the 18.5. It has worked fine for shoulders and small briskets but I do have to cut the ribs to smoke them obviously. I do want more space at this time, so I am able to utilize the top rack for everything. I generally smoke for my family and an occasional get together. Money is not an issue. Here are the pros and cons that I am weighing out:

Pros to 18:
Small
Better Heat Control
Price
Less fuel used

Cons to 18:
Small
Wouldnt be ideal for ribs, our favorite
Wouldnt be ideal for entertaining
Small door

Pros to 22:
Plenty of space for everything
No need to cut meats to fit
Pefect for entertaining
Large door

Cons to 22:
Size
Difficult to move
Burns fuel
Price

I am leaning towards the 22, just so I will have the space if need be and using the 18.5 inch charcoal ring when we just do small cuts and ribs. Plus when we smoke beans, etc. I can easily fit it through the access door onto the bottom shelf. Thoughts and opinions?

Easy decision, 22 1/2 is the only way to go. I sold my 18 1/2 yesterday and get my 22 1/2 Monday, all for the "Cons" reason you gave. I got tired of having to trim down my ribs and not having room for a big brisket......for the difference in money, the 22 1/2 is the ONLY way to go. I enjoyed my 18 1/2 for about 3 years, but finally got fed up with the "Cons" of it being too small. Enjoy your new 22 1/2 WSM.

I do not own a WSM but wouldn't 22.5" WSM burn the same amount of fuel to bring and maintain temp in the chamber regardless of what size charcoal ring you use? At least that was the case with my UDS when I experimented with different sized coal baskets.

George, in the drum, you were cooking without a heat deflector, right? Since we're cooking indirect on the wsm, the smaller sized charcoal ring lengthens the distance from the fire to the cooking grate.

This is my first post since I do not own a WSM yet just a Weber Genesis and have been contemplating on which size to buy. Even though the 22 is not really needed today with 2 small kids in a couple of years I think I will like having the 22, so that is the one I will buy. All of the comments have been extremely helpful and I don't think I could go wrong with either size. Thanks to all who have commented.

brock, make your own 18" charcoal ring AFTER you buy the 22"

enjoy your stay:wsm:

(by the way, that ▲ is a VERY BIG head lifting the cover of a 22" WSM)

pss, john moeller, welcome to the forum also!

Last edited:
I bought a 18 WSM first and then a few years later I bought the 22. I have used the 22 for Thanksgiving Turkey only. It is just me and her so the 18 does ok. I have used the 22 once for a big cook 2 years ago but only once. No regrets in having either. All a matter of what is right for you.

I figured that I can always light a smaller fire in a 22 but can't stretch an 18 to fit bigger cooks. Some say the 22 is too big but it's the same footprint as my OTS. If I do a really small cook like one rack of ribs or some chicken thighs, I use the OTS. When I see an 18 now I think it looks dinky.

I have the 18 and 22 and use them both. If I could only have one it would be the 22, probably use it 3 to 1 over the 18.

18 or 22 WSM

If a few pieces of charcoal are dictating which one to buy, I'd get a gas grill and stop worrying about the "FUEL BURN." If you are going to be a bear, BE GRIZZLY ! Don't pinch pennies and worry about a small amount of charcoal. Just my thinking anyway ! ;)

I bought the 18.5" and wish I bought the 22.5". The 18.5" works great, but it's hard to get BBs on it. I'd prefer to have the extra room and not need it, than to need the extra room and not have it. Anyway, hind sight is 20/20.

I bought the 18.5" and wish I bought the 22.5". The 18.5" works great, but it's hard to get BBs on it. I'd prefer to have the extra room and not need it, than to need the extra room and not have it. Anyway, hind sight is 20/20.

From the loin back ribs we find in the stores nowadays, we can't really call 'em "baby backs" anymore, huh? Cut 'em in half and use both grates.

If a few pieces of charcoal are dictating which one to buy, I'd get a gas grill and stop worrying about the "FUEL BURN." If you are going to be a bear, BE GRIZZLY ! Don't pinch pennies and worry about a small amount of charcoal. Just my thinking anyway ! ;)

Thats right !!!!!!!!!! =) go big or go home =)

Peter

Go big or Go Home !!!...I decided on the 22.5 because like the old saying goes" I rather have it and not need it than need it or not have it " that's why I went with the 22.5

For those that have experience with both sizes, how much more fuel does the 22.5 use in similar conditions?

Back