The Great Debate: 18 or 22?

For those that have experience with both sizes, how much more fuel does the 22.5 use in similar conditions?

A good bit more, but how much more, I couldn't say. Do some searches and I'm sure you can find some comparisons.

The racks are a lot farther from the fire, and I think that's the biggest reason why the big cooker is often referred to as a charcoal hog, pure and simple. I assume Weber did this to make it convenient to refuel the big cooker through the door, since the "hot squat", (the method used by many on the 18.5") is pretty much out of the question. Those few inches that the meat is farther from the fire makes a big difference, and mainly for it's height, the bigger cooker is more difficult to protect from the wind.

I would use an entire 18 lb bag of briquettes for an overnight smoke with the 22 and about a half of that with the 18. In the morning there would be nothing much left in the 22. I have never ran out of fuel with the 18, always coals in the morning left to carry on with. There is a significant difference in fuel consumption.

I do want more space at this time, so I am able to utilize the top rack for everything. I generally smoke for my family and an occasional get together.

Pros to 18:
Small
Better Heat Control
Price
Less fuel used

Cons to 18:
Small
Wouldnt be ideal for ribs, our favorite
Wouldnt be ideal for entertaining
Small door

Pros to 22:
Plenty of space for everything
No need to cut meats to fit
Pefect for entertaining
Large door

Cons to 22:
Size
Difficult to move
Burns fuel
Price

I am leaning towards the 22, just so I will have the space if need be and using the 18.5 inch charcoal ring when we just do small cuts and ribs. I can easily fit it through the access door onto the bottom shelf

BBrock, as for cooking everything on the top rack, does your current smoker have 2 cooking racks or 1? I think the 18" would be ok for us (4 most of the time, unless family or friends are over), but wonder how much of a pain it is to get to the lower rack when using both.

I have no idea why so many folks are so hesitant to cook on both grates.

Dave, as I mentioned above to BBrock, how much of a pain is it to get to the lower rack? Do you think this could be a big reason? Or is it the slight temp difference between racks? When cooking comps, how much food is cooked? Do both racks usually get used?

I am trying to decide between the 18" & 22" as well, and the couple reasons I keep leaning towards the 22" is the abillity to have all the food on the top rack, unless we have an unusually large gathering, and the larger door so if needed, I could add more charcoal a lot easier. As for cutting ribs in half, or even thirds, that isn't a concern.

Keep us posted on your decision BBrock!

I've had (and now HAVE) both the 18 & the 22.
rarely, and i mean it, Rarely do i cook using both racks.
IF i need more room on the 22" top grate, I'll be smokin' sausage over ribs, then I'll use what I've made, a top grate extender.
Simply another smaller cook grate lifted above the top grate to hold the links.

I use to cook many many racks of pork ribs, then i used both top & bottom racks.. again rarely does that happen.

I believe if you are concerned about the capacity of the 18" WSM, then pony up the dough for the 22"
yeah, you'll use more charcoal but it's like driving a Chevy Silverado over a toyota corolla :p

By the way, Welcome to the forum Chris in Mi and BrynM :D

the best way to solve the dilemma is just go ahead and get one of each. Use the one that fits the best for what you are doing, for example, last night I smoked a fatty on the 18 but tonight I'm using the 22 for a packer because it fits better. I got the 22 first and would not change that if I were to do it over. When it comes down to it, even if the 22 uses twice as much charcoal (not saying it does) we're still talking less than $5 or so a cook.

BBrock, as for cooking everything on the top rack, does your current smoker have 2 cooking racks or 1? I think the 18" would be ok for us (4 most of the time, unless family or friends are over), but wonder how much of a pain it is to get to the lower rack when using both.

Dave, as I mentioned above to BBrock, how much of a pain is it to get to the lower rack? Do you think this could be a big reason? Or is it the slight temp difference between racks? When cooking comps, how much food is cooked? Do both racks usually get used?

I am trying to decide between the 18" & 22" as well, and the couple reasons I keep leaning towards the 22" is the abillity to have all the food on the top rack, unless we have an unusually large gathering, and the larger door so if needed, I could add more charcoal a lot easier. As for cutting ribs in half, or even thirds, that isn't a concern.

Keep us posted on your decision BBrock!

Cooking on both grates is NOT a problem, unless you're a competitor and don't want something dripping on ribs on the bottom rack.

By using a grate tool you can easily spin it around to access meat and I've yet to smoke a butt that I couldn't pull off through the door. Sure, you can take the top grate off and access with the dome off, but you'll lose a lot more heat. So since the bottom grate cooks a little slower, that's where I opt to put butts and such that I think will be done first.

This debate comes up fairly often and is there is a wrong answer? It's like Jim says, if you are travelling from point A to B with one or two passengers then your vehicle needs may be different than the person needing to carry a load. Nothing wrong with either scenerio. It takes more fuel to carry the load. Run the truck empty or run the truck full it still uses more fuel than the Corolla.

I went with the 18 when looking at the 2. No wrong answer, but I think you will be surprised about how much you can do with it. As for it being like a brinkman, i want you to decide if it is. I came from a brinkman and there is no comparison.

TY guys! I definitely like my Silverado! Lol Much better than the Cobalt I use for work since I drive a lot!

Hoping to get a WSM as an early b-day present!

Fuel Consumption 18 vs 22 - Whenever I cook on the 18, my wife says "Why don't you cook more meat, it uses the same amount of charcoal"

So... fill up that 22 with meat and your cost of charcoal/amount of meat cooked will be less in a 22 than an 18.

Fuel Consumption 18 vs 22 - Whenever I cook on the 18, my wife says "Why don't you cook more meat, it uses the same amount of charcoal"

So... fill up that 22 with meat and your cost of charcoal/amount of meat cooked will be less in a 22 than an 18.

Too funny. This evening I was talking to the Missus about the big butt cook that I did on Tuesday, and my she said it better be a while before I do another whole case at a time. She said that we don't have to cook BBQ for everybody and that the fridge isn't just for holding meat...or something to that extent. I'm thinking...that's why we have two fridges, and I cleaned the "meat fridge" out Tuesday, both literally and figuratively...and that was hard work!

Thats why I bought a bigger one finally after my debating over the two. I knew it would be used for smaller to mid size cooks but a few times over the summer I would fill it up. I have a 18" charcoal ring I can throw in there for smaller cooks or use the 22 for bigger ones.
Our local Food Lions are having a .99c lb sale on pork shoulders right now. I told my neighbors who come eat smoked pork here at the house to go buy some and I will throw them in with mine. Looks like I will be smoking 5 8-9lb ones this Sun. Glad to have the 22 for cooks like that.

Thats why I bought a bigger one finally after my debating over the two. I knew it would be used for smaller to mid size cooks but a few times over the summer I would fill it up. I have a 18" charcoal ring I can throw in there for smaller cooks or use the 22 for bigger ones.
Our local Food Lions are having a .99c lb sale on pork shoulders right now. I told my neighbors who come eat smoked pork here at the house to go buy some and I will throw them in with mine. Looks like I will be smoking 5 8-9lb ones this Sun. Glad to have the 22 for cooks like that.

Mike, I haven't found the smaller charcoal ring to be of too much use, but then again, I usually cook chicken fairly fast and use water for ribs. I just like the greater temp control I get with the bigger ring, but going by other folks posts, both of my wsms run on the cool side.

Yes, the big bullet sure is great for big butt cooks though, and it's nice that no mods are needed to cook a whole case of eight at a time. I've only done that once, just the other day, but have cooked six at a time a couple of times now. As long as I don't foil, if I put the smaller ones on the bottom grate I can check them and pull through the door. (I have a grate tool with a hook on the end that I can easily spin the grate around with.) That way much less heat escapes. As long as it's nice weather, generally top rack butts cook faster anyhow, so this helps them get done a little closer to the same time.

Good luck with your cook!
Dave

Mike, I haven't found the smaller charcoal ring to be of too much use, but then again, I usually cook chicken fairly fast and use water for ribs. I just like the greater temp control I get with the bigger ring, but going by other folks posts, both of my wsms run on the cool side.

Yes, the big bullet sure is great for big butt cooks though, and it's nice that no mods are needed to cook a whole case of eight at a time. I've only done that once, just the other day, but have cooked six at a time a couple of times now. As long as I don't foil, if I put the smaller ones on the bottom grate I can check them and pull through the door. (I have a grate tool with a hook on the end that I can easily spin the grate around with.) That way much less heat escapes. As long as it's nice weather, generally top rack butts cook faster anyhow, so this helps them get done a little closer to the same time.

Good luck with your cook!
Dave

Dave thanks for the info on the large smokes. Looks like I will have 6-7 going on Sun in nice 70 degree weather. My other neighbor wants in too so one more going on. Wont cost me anything more to cook a bunch at a time so helping some people out with their dinners. The smaller ring for me is more of a less charcoal used and keeps them in a tighter area. I could do the same with the 22 but waste less charcoal filling the smaller 18, Was it worth what I paid for it vs small amount of charcoal saved?......probably not...Is it easier to throw the 18 ring/grate in for smaller cooks and fill it with less charcoal to start for a tighter fire...probably.....I`ll snuff the coals out at the end using either ring and just mix some unburned in with some new in chimney to start next ring for next cook. I usually wont reuse the small pieces from previous fire in next smoke so less wasted is good.

Dave thanks for the info on the large smokes. Looks like I will have 6-7 going on Sun in nice 70 degree weather. My other neighbor wants in too so one more going on. Wont cost me anything more to cook a bunch at a time so helping some people out with their dinners. The smaller ring for me is more of a less charcoal used and keeps them in a tighter area. I could do the same with the 22 but waste less charcoal filling the smaller 18, Was it worth what I paid for it vs small amount of charcoal saved?......probably not...Is it easier to throw the 18 ring/grate in for smaller cooks and fill it with less charcoal to start for a tighter fire...probably.....I`ll snuff the coals out at the end using either ring and just mix some unburned in with some new in chimney to start next ring for next cook. I usually wont reuse the small pieces from previous fire in next smoke so less wasted is good.

Mike, with that big bullet, great weather is always nice, as is helping folks out with their dinners! Just a while ago, I ran into a work associate who I cooked a butt for the other day when I smoked a whole case. She was so grateful and happy with it. She said that her and the kids had been eating it for the last three night's suppers and thought it was awesome. Hope you have a good cook this weekend, and ya'll have a good 'un!

Regards,
Dave

This thread was timely. I'll be honest I'm now uncertain again as I was ready to pull the trigger on an 18. We tend not to cook for larger groups, perhaps 1-2 per year. But from reading here the 22 seems like the choice. I have found one BNIB on Kijiji....guy won it as a prize and is looking to unload it. Here and new the 22" go for $449.00 plus tax.....this guy will let it go for $350.00 no tax. Was hoping to find one used but honestly here in the great white north they come up not too often and when they do they are gone in a blink. Anyone know a good divorce lawyer............if I slide a bullet in between the Performer and Q320 wife may leave me :wsm:

This thread was timely. I'll be honest I'm now uncertain again as I was ready to pull the trigger on an 18. We tend not to cook for larger groups, perhaps 1-2 per year. But from reading here the 22 seems like the choice. I have found one BNIB on Kijiji....guy won it as a prize and is looking to unload it. Here and new the 22" go for $449.00 plus tax.....this guy will let it go for $350.00 no tax. Was hoping to find one used but honestly here in the great white north they come up not too often and when they do they are gone in a blink. Anyone know a good divorce lawyer............if I slide a bullet in between the Performer and Q320 wife may leave me :wsm:

Well, I have had an 18 for 2 years and done about 30 cooks on it. I love the 18 for a small group, but when ribs are involved it's an issue at least for me. I can get 4 racks on on the top grill. but when doing Butts, Brisket, and Ribs. It's a pain "for me". I just did a 6 lb butt 6lb brisket flat and 3 racks of BB Ribs and it hard to get the bark to set up on the ribs when they are on the lower grill and the butt and brisket are dripping on them. I did not want the raw ribs dripping on the other two meats. I am thinking of getting a 22 to go along with my 18. That way I can do lots of ribs on the 22 and butts and Brisket on the 18, or use the 18 for just small cooks. I am trying to resist getting a pellet smoker for ribs, I think all of that horizonal grill space would work best for ribs but I am not sure about the quality of the smoke.

I've had an 18.5 for a couple of years and love it. It didn't take long before I wanted the extra space and dimensions of a 22.5, so I finally broke down and added a 22.5 to the arsenal. It arrived last night and is all nice, shiny, and new. It looks a lot bigger "in person" than I expected. I can't wait to load a big, whole brisket on it. I had about given up on smoking whole briskets on the 18.5 and was doing flats, even though I think packers are the way to go.

On charcoal usage, I'm no smoking guru, but I've had a few thermodynamics classes (more years ago than I care to admit). I would think that the increased fuel usage would be mainly attributed to the significantly larger heat transfer surface area. You're going to have heat loss pretty much everywhere you have a hot outer surface in contact with the cooler outside air. The bigger the outer surface area, the greater the heat loss. Comparing the 18.5 to the 22.5, there is a LOT more surface area losing heat to the atmosphere.

Back