The Gratitude Thread

Interesting.... I am not allergic to chicken, but I am allergic to some food preservatives. The last time I had a grocery store roti chicken I reacted poorly, so now I'm "allergic" to that. Allergies really suck. I feel really bad for people with food allergies. My FIL is allergic to some shell fish, and that allergy didn't develop until he was in his sixties.... If I ever get allergic to home made BBQ I guess I'll have to quite the forum ;)
Yeah, mine came on in my thirties. Totally out of nowhere. Didn't know what it was at first and it could be scary. My skin would turn beet red, I'd get real itchy and then my throat would start to swell shut. Fortunately I never wound up in the E.R.

For me, it's odd stuff. Turkey is really bad. Chicken is more mild and I used to be able to have a little in moderation. But lately it's been getting worse and I can't even try a piece of the stuff I cook for my son. The other bad one is certain kinds of beans. Black beans, brown beans, kidney beans. I'm fine with garbonzos. Oh, and one more: Eggplant. So no hummus.

Every now and again I have a reaction and I'm not sure what caused it. Things have gotten challenging because I don't eat pork. Not exactly for religious reasons, though I have a special place in my heart for both Judaism and Islam. Rather, simply because pigs are too much like dogs. Really smart ones. I couldn't bring myself to eat a dog so I can't eat pigs either.

Fortunately, there's still a lot of great stuff to grill. Beef and lamb. All sorts of veggies. An old friend who loves to cook was telling me just today that she grills apples, pears and other fruits. I'm sure I can find all the options here, in the right thread.

I do think that welding would be required.
Here is a thread on my mods to make the 05 SS Platinum fit a Deep Box.

Just read the whole thread, Bruce. First question it answers is the source of the SS frame. I know you said in your post, but it didn't sink in -- you used a 2005 Genesis Platinum, the very same grill I've been working on.

I see where you did a number of welds. Mostly the same things I did on mine with fasteners -- the cross braces and the tank bumper piece. The one place where it looks like a weld might be necessary is on the move of the igniter switch. I'm trying to think of a bracket that might allow me to saw it off and remount without a weld. Other than that issue, is there something I'm missing?

My other question is do you think something similar could be done with a second generation Summit Platinum, which also has the stainless steel frame. You may not know but if I can get my hands on one, I'm going to give it a try. If I see a Genesis Platinum first, I might change my mind. But I'm feeling motivated to try to drop the 1000 box into the Summit frame.

PS: Just out of curiosity, tell me if the blue lid you spoke of in that thread is the very same one you've offered to sell me.

First, Yes, I think you have the frame cross members covered with your bolts so you won't need to weld any of them. But, the piece for the igniter is a bit trickier. I do think it would be possible, although a bit tougher to cut it out fab on some brackets to move it where it needs to go.
Second: I don't have enough experience with Summit grills to have an idea if you could drop a deep box in one. I suppose it could be done but keep in mind Summit grills were either 4 or 6 burner (I think) and trying to replace that with a 3 burner cook box would entail some serious modification to make it look nice and have everything line up.
Third: The blue lid in the photos that I sent you was taken off a grill last fall and never used on any other grills. I have another blue lid currently on my Genesis 1000 and this the blue lid I was talking about in the thread. The one I sent you photos of is one is a different lid.

I've no interest in cooking on aluminum. I know the Grillgrates people say there's no evidence that it's unhealthy to use aluminum. Perhaps it's just psychological but I have no interest in trying.
Although I do use them, I respect both you and Larry for making your own decisions. I posted somewhere here about how I have switched back and forth between GrillGrates and cast iron on my little 2-burner Skyline. Each swap is like a new introduction, but once you adjust you can get very similar results.

FEFFE187-472B-467D-9DC8-1F07942E8CAC.jpeg

3B1376C8-F7C9-43CB-AFBB-EE3C9E397B2A.jpeg

Last edited:
First, Yes, I think you have the frame cross members covered with your bolts so you won't need to weld any of them. But, the piece for the igniter is a bit trickier. I do think it would be possible, although a bit tougher to cut it out fab on some brackets to move it where it needs to go.
Second: I don't have enough experience with Summit grills to have an idea if you could drop a deep box in one. I suppose it could be done but keep in mind Summit grills were either 4 or 6 burner (I think) and trying to replace that with a 3 burner cook box would entail some serious modification to make it look nice and have everything line up.
Third: The blue lid in the photos that I sent you was taken off a grill last fall and never used on any other grills. I have another blue lid currently on my Genesis 1000 and this the blue lid I was talking about in the thread. The one I sent you photos of is one is a different lid.
Thanks Bruce. Something just posted locally that may have a blue lid but it's hard to tell. Perhaps it's green. Blue ones come up so rarely, I'm skeptical. But one never knows. The guy's asking too much money but if it's blue, the cost would be no more (and probably less) than shipping yours. Here's the photo. I've sent him a message.

00P0P_bQ4Eeralb4z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Although I do use them, I respect both you and Larry for making your own decisions. I posted somewhere here about how I have switched back and forth between GrillGrates and cast iron on my little 2-burner Skyline. Each swap is like a new introduction, but once you adjust you can get very similar results.

View attachment 44465

View attachment 44466
They clearly do a phenomenal job. Rightly or wrongly, I'm just afraid of aluminum. Perhaps it's just superstition but I can't get past it.

Thanks Bruce. Something just posted locally that may have a blue lid but it's hard to tell. Perhaps it's green. Blue ones come up so rarely, I'm skeptical. But one never knows. The guy's asking too much money but if it's blue, the cost would be no more (and probably less) than shipping yours. Here's the photo. I've sent him a message.
I hope it is Blue. I bought a pair of blue genesis grills 4 or 5 years ago and was not sure what color they were from the pictures. I am color blind but can generally tell Blue from most other colors other than Purple. anyway, I asked what color the lids were and when he replied "blue" I was shocked. One was a 2004 and one a 2005. He had bought them one year apart. One for him and one for his dad. One of the lids turned out to have a large chip in it, but for $25 each, I couldn't complain.

I don't know what color your grill is, but it would nice if it was Blue to save the cost and hassle of buying mine. Plus, you will have some other great parts there. I will try to get out and weigh and measure the lid I have and let you know.

Bruce

I hope it is Blue. I bought a pair of blue genesis grills 4 or 5 years ago and was not sure what color they were from the pictures. I am color blind but can generally tell Blue from most other colors other than Purple. anyway, I asked what color the lids were and when he replied "blue" I was shocked. One was a 2004 and one a 2005. He had bought them one year apart. One for him and one for his dad. One of the lids turned out to have a large chip in it, but for $25 each, I couldn't complain.

I don't know what color your grill is, but it would nice if it was Blue to save the cost and hassle of buying mine. Plus, you will have some other great parts there. I will try to get out and weigh and measure the lid I have and let you know.

Bruce
Thanks so much, Bruce.

Here's another lid I might consider for my Platinum but would a Silver A lid fit? View attachment 44538
Too bad. Right now, he's asking $80 -- which seems fair for the right person. If he comes down to zero or close thereto, I may be tempted to rescue it because it's a cute little thing. But how many grills does one man need. My God, even my wife will get fed up if I load the back deck with a ton of grills. Think I need to hold it to my two.

Bruce
What did you do with the chipped one? Were you able to make use of it?

By the way, the owner got back to me and said his is black. Must have been the lighting in the photo.

I probably scrapped it. I cannot remember for sure.
Too bad you paid him for it. Not that I've not already done stuff like that. When I was buying the stainless steel for the Platinum, I bought a heavy grade 4 inch by 37 inch piece. A real beautiful honking thing. Imagined using it as a sort of ornament across the front. Paid $60 for it. Turns out, it's completely impractical. Just drilling through would have been damn near impossible plus it was too heavy for the frame of the grill. A friend says they sell scraps so maybe they'll trade it for steel angle irons for the 1000 or something else for another project.

Haven't heard from your 1000 in a while. What are you going to use the angle irons for on that one?
If I like the way the bottom tray turns out on the Platinum, I can replicate it with the same Fiberon boards on the 1000. Just a thought; we'll see. With so much football to watch today, didn't manage to get any work done on the grill. Either one.

Last edited:
Too bad you paid him for it. Not that I've not already done stuff like that. When I was buying the stainless steel for the Platinum, I bought a heavy grade 4 inch by 37 inch piece. A real beautiful honking thing. Imagined using it as a sort of ornament across the front. Paid $60 for it. Turns out, it's completely impractical. Just drilling through would have been damn near impossible plus it was too heavy for the frame of the grill. A friend says they sell scraps so maybe they'll trade it for steel angle irons for the 1000 or something else for another project.
No, I was still happy to buy it back then. I was just getting started in rehabbing and needed all the parts I could get. It was otherwise in good shape and just needed a different lid.

Back