The Gratitude Thread

Roy-Parallax

TVWBB Pro
Just want to thank this community for all the help and guidance I've received since showing up. Particularly to whomever it was who convinced me to drive two hours south to Seattle to pick up the Platinum. But also to those who guided me to Dave Santana's flavorizer bars and the BBQParts grates (as a backup and less expensive option to Dave's).

Tonight I threw some marinated flank steaks on and wow! Here they are in various states of crispiness. (Did I mention I like my meat well done?)

IMG_20220127_183316.jpgIMG_20220127_183323.jpgIMG_20220127_184052.jpgIMG_20220127_184048.jpgIMG_20220127_184816.jpg

Man, this thing cooks beautifully. Thanks for turning me on to the onion and avocado oil method of seasoning, as even on the part of the grates that looked unseasoned, it was an illusion. The steaks did not stick.

Managed to break in that part of the grates that hadn't seen action before. Here's the result:

IMG_20220127_191058.jpg

And then the CharGone you fellas told me to buy, which I purchased on faith, not knowing whatfor?

IMG_20220127_191355.jpg

Man, that thing quickly annihilated what the grill brush couldn't even begin to touch.

Here's the result:

IMG_20220127_192012.jpg

A result I find astounding.

Best of all, the steak was great. I truly did not know what I was missing before I found this community. And I've not even begun to work on (or use) the 1000-LX that originally brought me here. I suspect that cooking on that will be no less wonderful; perhaps even better.

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_191358.jpg
    IMG_20220127_191358.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 3
My father in law (RIP) used to like his meat really well done. The funny thing is that for years I thought my mother in law was a terrible cook because she cooked everything to his specs. After they got divorced her cooking improved tremendously. I'll never forget how he used to make me burn his food when he came to our house for a cook out. Edit: My own father was the opposite, he would throw these huge homemade burgers on the grill and they were almost always still raw in the middle when he took them off the grill. They were a fun pair to cook for.

Last edited:
My father in law (RIP) used to like his meat really well done. The funny thing is that for years I thought my mother in law was a terrible cook because she cooked everything to his specs. After they got divorced her cooking improved tremendously. I'll never forget how he used to make me burn his food when he came to our house for a cook out. Edit: My own father was the opposite, he would throw these huge homemade burgers on the grill and they were almost always still raw in the middle when he took them off the grill. They were a fun pair to cook for.
My first wife's father was into almost raw meat. In fact, he considered it a delicacy when he could get meat so fresh he thought it safe to eat raw. Even hamburger. He hated the way I cooked. I'm not talking about eating it the way I cooked it; that would have been unthinkable. Just watching me. He would say that I'd destroyed a beautiful piece of meat.

My second father-in-law was a sweetheart of a guy. We never cooked together. He once made fun of me for helping the women clean up after a Christmas dinner. He was one of those fellows. My wife's brother told him he was a caveman, though he too didn't lift a finger to help. That was in Poland. I met my second wife in the two where my grandmother had been born. She came to the U.S. with her mother, grandmother and aunt at age 7 in 1921. He was super old school, as were most Polish men at the time, but with a heart of gold. I really came to adore Polish culture. People were so generous, they'd literally give you the shirts off their backs if you'd let them. He died some years ago, so definitely RIP.

Then there's my last and best father-in-law. He's truly a one of a kind gem of a man. I've no doubt my wife's such an amazing person because of her wonderful parents, particularly her papa. He likes to grill. On the cheapest grills I've ever seen. But he's never been someone who put much faith in money so he doesn't have much of it. His cooking isn't at all special. But he is.

Grilling looks like lots of fun. I don't think there is anything bad that could be said about those grates; they look awesome in action!

Grilling looks like lots of fun. I don't think there is anything bad that could be said about those grates; they look awesome in action!
They are really nice. Still curious about 9 mm. Those are just shy of 8. Since Dave's are unavailable and perhaps forever out of reach, I've got my eye out for an old Summit with grates that could be cut down, but if that doesn't happen I'll be more than happy with these. I'd love a set of cast irons (the original, heavy ones) for my 1000-LX. Steve has generously offered me a set he's not using when he has time to send them cross country so I look forward to getting that grill restored.

It's a hard time of the year to work on these grills given the weather and early sunset. But tomorrow promises to be clear and I won't be working so hopefully I can knock out some stuff on the Platinum. Perhaps Sunday too, though I'll want to catch the football games.

Roy, The old Summit grates may be a little thicker, but they are not 304 stainless (apparently 430). That isn't a big deal to me, but you should also consider that these grates have wide spaces between the rods. I think you have better grates already.

Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_08.jpg

Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_06.jpg

Attachments

• Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_07.jpg
    Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_07.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 0
  • Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_08.jpg
    Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_08.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
Roy, The old Summit grates may be a little thicker, but they are not 304 stainless (apparently 430). That isn't a big deal to me, but you should also consider that these grates have wide spaces between the rods. I think you have better grates already.

View attachment 44330

View attachment 44333
I hear ya, Jon. My new obsession makes no rational sense. To buy Dave's, if they were available, would make no rational sense. Chances are I would barely notice the difference. This new obsession is like a disease. I've become a grill and grate ***** (rhymes with chore). 😁

If u find an old 1st generation Summit they are in fact 304ss and full 3/8" thick. Many of the old 1st gens have turned to firebox rust buckets and truly are going to be not worth saving. But, those grates are top notch

Yah, I think the Chargon is a must have for solid rod SS grates. In time, your grates will blacken, but you will still be able to clean all the carbon and burned on grease with that chargon much easier and quicker than a brush. Maybe the best part is, no worries about picking up a stray metal bristle in your food. Oh, and another benefit is that they are pretty much lifetime tools. No need to buy a new one two or three times a year.

Roy, I'm glad to see you are having fun grilling! Those grates look substantial, I do have RC grates and looking at your pictures I can't "see" a big difference, and the spacing looks to be about half a hot dog which I think is ideal.

Now what do we have to do to get you on the rotisserie train?

If u find an old 1st generation Summit they are in fact 304ss and full 3/8" thick. Many of the old 1st gens have turned to firebox rust buckets and truly are going to be not worth saving. But, those grates are top notch
Yep, that is another thing that got dumbed down on Summits over time. I agree with Larry that landing a good condition set of 1st generation Summit grates would be a good find. The grates I reviewed are 3rd (current) generation Summit grates. 430 stainless, but very thick. As noted, though, spaced pretty far apart.

Yes, I see people occasionally trying to sell one for good money. So far, none that are being given away (or anything close). They seem to be stuck on the idea that it was a Summit.

Yah, I think the Chargon is a must have for solid rod SS grates. In time, your grates will blacken, but you will still be able to clean all the carbon and burned on grease with that chargon much easier and quicker than a brush. Maybe the best part is, no worries about picking up a stray metal bristle in your food. Oh, and another benefit is that they are pretty much lifetime tools. No need to buy a new one two or three times a year.
You are the one who convinced me to buy the thing. Then it sat on my window sill for weeks as I was clueless as to what to do with it. Then I cooked my first steak on those new grates. With chicken it wasn't at all necessary. The grill brush was adequate. When I went to clean the grates after the burned beef, it just wasn't doing anything. Then I thought of that funny thing sitting in my window and ran up to the bedroom to grab it. One quick stroke and I immediately understood what all the fuss was about. That thing is great on a grate. :0)

Roy, I'm glad to see you are having fun grilling! Those grates look substantial, I do have RC grates and looking at your pictures I can't "see" a big difference, and the spacing looks to be about half a hot dog which I think is ideal.

Now what do we have to do to get you on the rotisserie train?
Someone in my home would have to be into something that's amazing on a rot. Now that you mention it, I could see doing some sort of lamb that way. We love lamb.

Yep, that is another thing that got dumbed down on Summits over time. I agree with Larry that landing a good condition set of 1st generation Summit grates would be a good find. The grates I reviewed are 3rd (current) generation Summit grates. 430 stainless, but very thick. As noted, though, spaced pretty far apart.
How do the first and third gen Summit grates differ? I seem to recall someone saying the first gens would fit on a 1000 or Silver series Genesis without cutting. Is that correct?

Also, I'd love to know something of the history of the Summit. Did they improve the fire box in subsequent generations? Did they stop using the full SS frame and cabinet? What are the timelines and how can I tell one from another?

Someone in my home would have to be into something that's amazing on a rot. Now that you mention it, I could see doing some sort of lamb that way. We love lamb.
Whole chicken on the roti.

I can only get close doing beer can style on my BGE, but it's better on the roti.

I am also grateful for TWBB forum, Chris for running it and keeping us in line, and of course all the great people who contribute to it. This forum is one of my favorite "hobbies" now. It's right up there with watching the Chiefs, STL Baseball, and the actual cooking. I credit this forum with providing a very pleasant distraction when I needed it most. Actually, I probably need the distraction again, so y'all may here more from me in the next few weeks! ;)

How do the first and third gen Summit grates differ? I seem to recall someone saying the first gens would fit on a 1000 or Silver series Genesis without cutting. Is that correct?

Also, I'd love to know something of the history of the Summit. Did they improve the fire box in subsequent generations? Did they stop using the full SS frame and cabinet? What are the timelines and how can I tell one from another?
1st generation Summit grates and 1st and 2nd gen Genesis grates are the same size. 1, 2, etc or the x000 series or the B, C, type series. After that no.
And no they never improved the Summit firebox.

So they changed the grate size in the third generation but didn't take that opportunity to redesign the cook box?

Back