The Gratitude Thread

No, I was still happy to buy it back then. I was just getting started in rehabbing and needed all the parts I could get. It was otherwise in good shape and just needed a different lid.
Oh, $25 for the whole grill. I somehow thought you were speaking of paying that for the lid alone. A ridiculous assumption in that who, but our little band of eccentrics, buys a lid separately? 😜

Here's a question that's worth posting but not in its own thread.

The other night I was cooking steaks. Put them on the grill, then poured salt. Then I thought the better of it because some of it missed the steak and fell on the grates and flavorizer bars. Even good stainless (rcplanebuyer stainless in the case of the bars) shouldn't be exposed to salt. I'm thinking I should rinse the bars and the grates down tomorrow. Am I overreacting? Is it ok to salt steaks on the grill?

The other night I was cooking steaks. Put them on the grill, then poured salt. Then I thought the better of it because some of it missed the steak and fell on the grates and flavorizer bars. Even good stainless (rcplanebuyer stainless in the case of the bars) shouldn't be exposed to salt. I'm thinking I should rinse the bars and the grates down tomorrow. Am I overreacting? Is it ok to salt steaks on the grill?
Salt isn't going to hurt anything lol. Yes, you are overreacting

If you want something really good - salt them up the night before with coarse kosher salt and put them on wire racks in the fridge. The next day you won't see any salt on the steaks, and you can season with pepper and other desired seasonings. You'll thank me later!

Yep turn your steaks into something pickled. Tried it. Meat took on weird color and texture. Just not palatable to me

I wouldn't worry not one bit about it. Seasoning on the grill is part of cooking and won't hurt anything.

For everyone saying salt won't hurt anything, I do agree, but neither will water. I'd say go ahead and rinse the inside of the grill with a hose if it's not a frozen tundra where you are (it is here). I'm thinking of the nuts and bolts that hold these grills together, and giving the interior of the grill a nice rinse won't hurt it either. I'm not saying to do a deep clean, but based on being concerned about salt corrosion, I'd say sure go ahead and rinse down the whole grill, including the frame and just the whole entire thing. There are plenty of areas on these grills that do rust, and at least for the older genesis models there are no parts that can be ruined by water. The ignitor might not work if it is still wet when you try to use it, but even that I don't think will get too wet. I never, ever cover my grill, and it lights up even in the rain with the ignitor.

Back