The Gratitude Thread

Whole chicken on the roti.

I can only get close doing beer can style on my BGE, but it's better on the roti.
My wife and I don't eat chicken. I can't; I'm really allergic to poultry. My son likes it really well done. He still makes fun of the roti chicken I bought for him from Costco. He thought it disgusting. When I tried to cut pieces and dry them out, he still rejected it. His chicken must be grilled.

1st generation Summit grates and 1st and 2nd gen Genesis grates are the same size. 1, 2, etc or the x000 series or the B, C, type series. After that no.
And no they never improved the Summit firebox.
How can one spot a first, second or third gen Summit? What's distinct about each of them?

1st gen ones just flat out look like quality. the rest not so much. Big beefy frame, very high lid, solid 304SS tightly spaced grates and of course the biggest tell tale is the grates are same size as a generation 1 through 3 Genesis. No other Summit is like that

3rd Generation (current model) Summit:

I personally do not like these. Too heavy, complex and then made with a firebox that will rust/burn through, while the cabinetry other than the doors is all painted steel that easily rusts.

2nd Generation Summit:

This came in Silver, Gold and later Platinum versions. The Platinum model is the same shape but it has a stainless frame and stainless cabinetry. While I agree with Larry and some others who feel this was a step down from the 1st generation, the Platinum model deserves an honorable mention. Still, it also has the same type of porcelain plated steel in the firebox like the other Summits, so this is a serious, unfortunate weakness. The problem here is that this version is starting to become orphaned with fewer and fewer parts being available.

1st Generation Summit (where it all started):

The above thread shows some 4-burner models (including our Moderator, Chris Allingham's beauty), but there was also a 6-burner model. All three generations came in 4 and 6 burner models. This 1st generation Summit featured extremely strong frame construction, heavy duty hardware (you wouldn't believe how many bolts), and real stainless grates. I personally love the style that evokes a classic Weber look that the newer grills don't have.

3rd Generation (current model) Summit:

I personally do not like these. Too heavy, complex and then made with a firebox that will rust/burn through, while the cabinetry other than the doors is all painted steel that easily rusts.

2nd Generation Summit:

This came in Silver, Gold and later Platinum versions. The Platinum model is the same shape but it has a stainless frame and stainless cabinetry. While I agree with Larry and some others who feel this was a step down from the 1st generation, the Platinum model deserves an honorable mention. Still, it also has the same type of porcelain plated steel in the firebox like the other Summits, so this is a serious, unfortunate weakness. The problem here is that this version is starting to become orphaned with fewer and fewer parts being available.

1st Generation Summit (where it all started):

The above thread shows some 4-burner models (including our Moderator, Chris Allingham's beauty), but there was also a 6-burner model. All three generations came in 4 and 6 burner models. This 1st generation Summit featured extremely strong frame construction, heavy duty hardware (you wouldn't believe how many bolts), and real stainless grates. I personally love the style that evokes a classic Weber look that the newer grills don't have.

So if I'm discerning accurately, this guy is a second generation Summit? (Possibly a Summit Platinum?)

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 11.01.46 AM.png

Yes, that is a 4-burner, 2nd generation Summit Platinum. Like I said, I feel this model deserves at least an "honorable mention." They have the same flawed firebox, and, on this 2nd generation, the flavorizer bars have special connectors that cover the crossover burners. A good idea, but it drives up the price of replacement bars. They are pricey and hard to find. The originals tend to fail at the weld points.

This is a project grill for use as a "keeper." Don't even think about trying to flip one, even if you can get it for free:cautious:!

Yes, that is a 4-burner, 2nd generation Summit Platinum. Like I said, I feel this model deserves at least an "honorable mention." They have the same flawed firebox, and, on this 2nd generation, the flavorizer bars have special connectors that cover the crossover burners. A good idea, but it drives up the price of replacement bars. They are pricey and hard to find. The originals tend to fail at the weld points.

This is a project grill for use as a "keeper." Don't even think about trying to flip one, even if you can get it for free:cautious:!
If I were to get it, it would be to cut down the grates for my 1000 (primarily) and to see if I could adapt the frame (like Bruce has done). My Genesis Platinum -- the one I'm going to work on today -- is already indestructible. Figured a frame like this could make the 1000 pretty much bullet proof too, which would be nice in this wet western Washington climate. But right now the guy wants $75 for scrap. If he comes down to something nominal, I'll make the hour-long drive.

Roy,
I can't remember what grills you currently have. If what you want is Genesis-style grill but with a stainless frame, I think I would hold out for a Genesis Platinum to start out with. However, with modifications, welding, etc. it should be possible to put a Genesis aluminum firebox, including E-W burners and control panel onto the frame of that Summit. You are looking at a lot of work and some expense depending on what you can do yourself. It would really have to be worth it to you.

Why not just have a stainless reinforcement made for this Summit's firebox front and keep it as a Summit? It is a better grill (other than the firebox) with 4 burners where the Genesis only has 3. Also, that high-end Platinum one has the rear infrared, so if you ever did want to experiment with rotisserie, you are covered for that as well. :cool:

p.s. Because that Summit has the smoker box, (with its OWN separate burner no less) the grates are interchangeable with a Genesis 1000.

Roy,
I can't remember what grills you currently have. If what you want is Genesis-style grill but with a stainless frame, I think I would hold out for a Genesis Platinum to start out with. However, with modifications, welding, etc. it should be possible to put a Genesis aluminum firebox, including E-W burners and control panel onto the frame of that Summit. You are looking at a lot of work and some expense depending on what you can do yourself. It would really have to be worth it to you.

Why not just have a stainless reinforcement made for this Summit's firebox front and keep it as a Summit? It is a better grill (other than the firebox) with 4 burners where the Genesis only has 3. Also, that high-end Platinum one has the rear infrared, so if you ever did want to experiment with rotisserie, you are covered for that as well. :cool:

p.s. Because that Summit has the smoker box, (with its OWN separate burner no less) the grates are interchangeable with a Genesis 1000.
Cool to know that the grates would be good as is. I wouldn't want to keep it as a Summit because of the firebox and the cost and vulnerability of the flavorizer bars. Plus, the Genesis 1000 has the 13 bars so I'm guessing it heats more evenly. Already have a Genesis Platinum. It's the grill I've been using. It's awesome. Figured I keep that one and the 1000, at least for a while. At least until I can tell which one I prefer.

Are you saying that it's easier to retrofit the 1000 to a Genesis Platinum than to the Summit Platinum frame?

My wife and I don't eat chicken. I can't; I'm really allergic to poultry. My son likes it really well done. He still makes fun of the roti chicken I bought for him from Costco. He thought it disgusting. When I tried to cut pieces and dry them out, he still rejected it. His chicken must be grilled.
Roy, there is always rotisserie Prime Rib! The only way my family wants me to cook it now.
0EB8CC7B-1580-4C71-8758-9701E3F6712C.jpeg

Bruce modified the Genesis platinum frame. He did a great job on it but I believe there was welding involved.
True. I seem to recall him saying that welding would not have been necessary. Bolts work too. He needed a trim piece if memory serves because the frame was too large. I'm sure I could find a way to make it work.

I do think that welding would be required.
Here is a thread on my mods to make the 05 SS Platinum fit a Deep Box.

Interesting.... I am not allergic to chicken, but I am allergic to some food preservatives. The last time I had a grocery store roti chicken I reacted poorly, so now I'm "allergic" to that. Allergies really suck. I feel really bad for people with food allergies. My FIL is allergic to some shell fish, and that allergy didn't develop until he was in his sixties.... If I ever get allergic to home made BBQ I guess I'll have to quite the forum ;)

True. I seem to recall him saying that welding would not have been necessary. Bolts work too. He needed a trim piece if memory serves because the frame was too large. I'm sure I could find a way to make it work.
Roy, have you tried Grillgrates?

I do think that welding would be required.
Here is a thread on my mods to make the 05 SS Platinum fit a Deep Box.

Ah, nuts! So how hard is it to learn to weld? 😁

Back