The door gaps are "designed that way" - I had to share this

I also purchased gaskets as well as the CB stainless door. Even with these mods there is still some minor leaking. Even with that I get great results. I agree with Bob that it's the Pitmaster and not the Pit. BBQ started with cooks just digging a pit in the ground (hence the name BBQ pit) and cooked over an open fire. Many still do and in spite of it not being in an airtight cooker they produce some stellar BBQ. I think it just comes down to knowing your cooker and knowing a bit about the science of cooking.

I agree in 99.9% of cases its the Indian not the arrow.
You can't blame the gun for missing the target.
You can't blame the pencil for misspelling words.
You can't blame the pit for bad BBQ

To OP:

The door fit isn't good although it probably isn't that big a deal. I did buy an after market door for my 22.5" and it fits great especially with a better latch.

Weber's answer to your concerns was BS. You'd think you were talking to a politician.

Have you looked into pellet smokers Peter?
Not yet, too many beers, not enough daylight.

To OP:

The door fit isn't good although it probably isn't that big a deal. I did buy an after market door for my 22.5" and it fits great especially with a better latch.

Weber's answer to your concerns was BS. You'd think you were talking to a politician.
Agreed :p

I agree in 99.9% of cases its the Indian not the arrow.
You can't blame the gun for missing the target.
You can't blame the pencil for misspelling words.
You can't blame the pit for bad BBQ
also agreed :)

4 X 22 WSM = 4 different cooking dynamics and results?
I do not have 4 x 22WSM, but only 2.
And they cook exactly the same way ( meaning dynamics). Not yet for the same flavour (result) due to less seasoning in the new one.
Both WSM are settled with:
1) gasket on the lid basement
2) BBQ GURU fan on 1 bottom vent. Other 2 were closed and gunked.
3) Canjun Bandit stainless door
4) removed water pan and bottom grate
5) placed a 21x3/4 pizza stone from californiapizzastone.com
With this set up they both cook super steady +- 5F through 13 -15 hours cook. I m p r e s s i v e.
Probably with the same set up if I had 4 WSM I would got the same consistent results across all units.

4 X 22 WSM = 4 different cooking dynamics and results?
I do not have 4 x 22WSM, but only 2.
And they cook exactly the same way ( meaning dynamics). Not yet for the same flavour (result) due to less seasoning in the new one.
Both WSM are settled with:
1) gasket on the lid basement
2) BBQ GURU fan on 1 bottom vent. Other 2 were closed and gunked.
3) Canjun Bandit stainless door
4) removed water pan and bottom grate
5) placed a 21x3/4 pizza stone from californiapizzastone.com
With this set up they both cook super steady +- 5F through 13 -15 hours cook. I m p r e s s i v e.
Probably with the same set up if I had 4 WSM I would got the same consistent results across all units.

I have 1/ (gasket) on the way. I know about 2/ (BBQ Guru) and will probably get one shortly. I am waiting to hear about 3/ (door) from BattleBox hopefully soon, and I already removed 4/ (bottom grate) but have left the water pan in at the moment and used 5kg of play pit sand but I am looking for 5/ (a good sized stone) so I will research your choice as it seems ideal.

Really great to hear you can get your two to run much the same. I had a few problems today with my first cook (messed up the minion method I think). First 3 hours were a nightmare but it came good in the end. Thanks again kind Sir!

I have a 18.5"wsm and 22.5"wsm. I've have no problem with the 18.5"wsm door. I had to give it a little bit of binding when I first got it but it's good to go now. The 22.5"wsm on the other hand has a terrible door and I replaced it with the cajun Bandit door.

Peter... Sorry for a little OT

Andrew... You may enjoy reading the versions Jim Minion went thru. Most can be found by searching this site (and a couple of others). Good Stuff. What I found interesting was how Jim changed between center fired and top fired. From what I've heard, Jim now uses a weed burner to start things. So I guess that as long as one doesn't place unlit coals on top of lit coals, you are using the minion method.

Well shave my legs and call me Sally! I read a differn't method of lighting coals and it was also called the Minion method.

I actually drop in a weber cube or two on the edge of the fire ring where my Auber blows in and light them. It works for me as the fire has no way of getting too big.

Honestly, what ever works for you is what is best. After all, its just BBQ!

Nice writeup.

Sous Vide is totally foreign to me. Never heard of such a thing until now.

Ah my bad. Sous vide is french and from memory means cooking under vacuum It allows extremely precise temperatures to be maintained for unlimited periods. I cooked a whole 6kg gammon ham last Christmas in it (I am limited to about 7kgs in my 9 litre unit) and it was sensational. It was cooked at 58.5c for 48 hours and was running and glistening with juices when it was sliced and the firm but tender texture was the best I have ever had by a country mile. I had done lots of 2-3kgs pieces, all very good eating but nothing had come out as well at the big piece.

My aim now is to try and figure out how best to get the wonderful aromas and flavours from the WSM wood smoking into the hams (and other meats) before then finishing in the sous vide with the precise controls that are guaranteed every time.

Last edited:
....My aim now is to try and figure out how best to get the wonderful aromas and flavours from the WSM wood smoking into the hams (and other meats) before then finishing in the sous vide with the precise controls that are guaranteed every time.
Longer times at lower temperatures? I almost wonder about a cold smoking setup? Food safety might come into play then.

Longer times at lower temperatures? I almost wonder about a cold smoking setup? Food safety might come into play then.

My thoughts too but the pathogens (nasty bacteria) thrive in the temp range of 70-117f (21-47c) but interestingly, if you take meat up to 135f and hold it there or above, you are safe (as long as the meat didn't get warmed so slowly that the bacteria went ballistic in the time between 21-47).

My thoughts are; if the optimum smoke take up is around the 3 hour mark and the best smoke penetration is achieved up to about 135f (these assumptions based based upon a few threads/posts only so needs validating), that seems the ideal time to think about what you might then swap the meat into (oven, sous vide, grill kettle) but for me, I want to experiment with the sous vide. I put 6-7kgs of freshly WSM 57 BBQ smoked pork shoulder into vacuum bags yesterday and the results after holding them at 52.5c for 16 hours were outstanding.

I will try with a brisket hopefully in the next few days but the learning/test curve is steep but I think I am on the right general track. Cold smoking is yet another avenue and I was thinking about adding a flue to the top vent on the wsm 57 and building a box to use that smoky exhaust although I was thinking fish, cheese and sausages tbh. So much to try, so few years in a man's life!

Last edited:
Petroni: your a man on a mission and I say go for it!
Keep us updated on your journey.

Tim

Back