The best frozen fries we've ever had

Arun:
I may have misled you. Just french fries with white vinegar sprinkled on them along with some salt. Like you would get at an amusement park back in the day complete with a wooden 2 prong fork to go with the fries in a paper tray. (Rocky Point, Freedomland, Revere Beach, Nantasket Beach) Easy to find in eastern Ontario, but here in LV, they look at you crazy and bring Malt vinegar or sometimes an oil/vinegar mix. When they bring that stuff, we move on to ketchup instead.

Thanks. I don't think I've had vinegar fries before, I'll have to try them. Maybe during one of the batches of the Lamb & Weston fries.

Malt vinegar, lol, that would have the wrong taste.

Awhile back I roasted some chicken thighs but instead of using a rack I put them on a bed of frozen steak fries. The fries absorbed some of the chicken fat during the cooking process, and while the thighs were resting I put the fries into hot (450+) oven to finish cooking. They were a little oily but tasted really good.

Agree with Clint, never heard of white vinegar as a condiment (usually only as glass cleaner) Malt is very traditional and a nice change.
Arun, why do you care about “pre salted” fries? Get some salt and use it like the condiment that it is. Sheesh! How hard is it to pinch some salt onto a plate of fries?

I know the far East uses rice vinegar

British people use of vinegar type condiment as well

And you can get sea salt and vinegar flavored potato chips.

People are different everywhere even with the same foods.

When I worked in France, I was shocked to find out that people did not eat french fries (frites) on the side, they put them inside their sandwich. Inside.....the.....sandwich.

ask for them on the side and dip them in ketchup and they look at you like you're crazy.

Last edited:
Got a bag of the shoestring fries & tried them tonight. These are really really good!
I usually dip fries in blue cheese dressing, but these definitely don't need it. Thanks! 👍

I tried the Rallys fries. They are great. I like the pre-seasoned taste.

So far, my top fries, in no order, are:

1) Rallys seasoned curly fries.

2) Lamb Weston, they have the best potato taste. I prefer homestyle to shoestring because I generally like thicker fries.

3) Alexia spicy chipotle sweet potato fries. The name describes the taste.

I'm pretty sure I just saw them at my local grocer's frozen section. I'll check the next time I'm there too.

No shortage of them here in the StL, MO area.
Made the shoestring ones last night in our new air fryer, they were even more excellent.

Anyone seen/get these lately? Haven't seen them for 8-9 months now...
I found Rallys fries this weekend. (Didn't buy them, but I did browse in the fries section.)

I also saw the Lamb & Weston Homestyle, as well as Steak Cut.

Still looking for a replacement for the Lamb & Weston fries. I looked at the Rally fries, but didn't get them due to seasoning. I can so far say don't get the Signature brand fries, they seem reconstituted.

Still looking for a replacement for the Lamb & Weston fries. I looked at the Rally fries, but didn't get them due to seasoning. I can so far say don't get the Signature brand fries, they seem reconstituted.
Why do you want a replacement?

I saw a variety I hadn't seen before, Lamb & Weston waffle cut. I got those. Haven't tried them yet.

I went shopping this morning and the store had plenty of Lamb Weston products. Weirdly, I'm farther from the PNW than Vegas is!

FWIW, Lamb Weston tots are also quite good. I've been cooking them in the air fryer but I'll bet they're plenty fine coming out of the oven or some hot oil.

Back