The best frozen fries we've ever had

We had these at our son's a while back and thought they were great.
I picked up a bag for last night's burger cook, burgers on the grill, fries in the oven.
If you like crispy shoestring type fries, I say give these a try, if you can find them.
Lamb Weston Super Crispy Shoestring Fries

super-crispy-shoestring-fries.jpg

I have been trying to find these to no avail. Living in Houston, I can usually find any type of food. Is there a certain store everyone is buying them at? I'm worried with the potato freeze I may never get to try them.

We've found them at our Winco and FoodMaxx stores here Pat. FoodMaxx has the best selection including fries (skinny, steak) tots, hash browns. The only FM store I see down your way is in Houston. Google shows it 30 min. from Katy??

I have been trying to find these to no avail. Living in Houston, I can usually find any type of food. Is there a certain store everyone is buying them at? I'm worried with the potato freeze I may never get to try them.

Don't know if you have Safeway or Albertsons in your area but that's where we get ours.

We've found them at our Winco and FoodMaxx stores here Pat. FoodMaxx has the best selection including fries (skinny, steak) tots, hash browns. The only FM store I see down your way is in Houston. Google shows it 30 min. from Katy??

I looked that location Cliff, it's probably 15 minutes from the office. I'm going to pass on that store, it's in a 2 gun part of town. Need one gun to get in and another if you want to get out.

Don't know if you have Safeway or Albertsons in your area but that's where we get ours.

We still have a couple of Randall's around, they are part of the Safeway group. I'll have to check there.

That's where I finally found some today. Jewels (Albertsons)
Needed fries to go with chili dogs tonite and was pleasantly surprised to see these.

Tim

I've gone through 2 bags of the Ralley's/Checkers fries, several of Ore Ida fast food fries (they're good too). I got some off-brand curly fries & then some Arby's curly fries - the Arbys (frozen) curley fries seem to have the most oil. After only1-2 batches a bunch of oil poured out of the air fryer onto the plate---none of the other brands had a noticeable pool of oil even after several batches were made. They were all good, but Arbys left a puddle-----------they tasted and crisped just as good as all the others.

I had the Lamb & Weston Shoestring Fries (left), and Hand Cut Fries (right), 1/4 bag each.

I really liked the potato taste of these fries.

However, they needed salt. I'm hoping to find fries that taste good, and are seasoned, with at least the proper amount of salt. They didn't taste like they were seasoned at all.

I did like the crispness too.

XsqpVyM.jpg

I saw the Ralley's/Checker fries today, at a store I don't shop as frequently, so I bought them. Even though I have 3/4 each of both previous bags remaining.

I saw that they were seasoned, so hopefully I can enjoy them as is.

Otherwise, I'll have to try Alexia House Cut with Sea Salt fries next.

How did it turn out?

How exactly did you put them on the gas grill?

I've never tried french fries on a grill, but I have been grilling for a long long time. Based on my experience, I would say you would have to carefully position the fries cross-ways to the grill rods. Otherwise, they would fall right through onto the fire, wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

Then you're faced with turning a whole bunch of fries at least three times so get all four sides cooked. If you're into criss-cross 45 degree grill marks, that double the number of times you have to turn the fries. It seems as though that would take nearly constant attention.

Way too tedious for me. I'll stick with a huge pot of boiling fat to cook my fries. But to each his own I suppose.

Don't even ask about grilled chicken salad. No matter how carefully you place the chicken salad, it's gonna' fall right through the grill. Same with tuna salad. :D:D

Finally found a bag of these. HEB just started carrying them. I sure hope they live up to the hype.

We've now had two bags of the regular cut fries. I must say they kind of blow the doors off Oreida fries we usually get. We will be checking out some of their other varieties as well. If not for TVWBB, we never would have tried them. We like how they get a little crisp on the outside, but remain soft inside.

We've now had two bags of the regular cut fries. I must say they kind of blow the doors off Oreida fries we usually get. We will be checking out some of their other varieties as well. If not for TVWBB, we never would have tried them. We like how they get a little crisp on the outside, but remain soft inside.

Is regular cut the same as hand cut?

I'd have to get the bag out of the trash bin to check that. They are the regular size fries between shoestring and steak.

Thanks. Did you need to add any salt to them? And if so, how much?

I tried 1/4 bag each of the Shoestring and Hand Cut a few weeks ago. I needed to add salt.

I'm trying to figure out how much to add.

Also, I have to adjust the cooking time, since I'm trying to make both kinds at the same time. I cooked them a little too much last time (but they were still good).

I did like the taste, so if I can find the right amount of salt to add, these might be my favorite. Or else, it will be another one that's seasoned right out of the bag.

Arun:

We only salt to taste after cooking them. Either with ketchup or vinegar. With so much sodium in everything these days, the only thing I salt is sweet corn and vinegar fries. Wife puts salt on everything, I put pepper on almost everything.

Arun:

We only salt to taste after cooking them. Either with ketchup or vinegar. With so much sodium in everything these days, the only thing I salt is sweet corn and vinegar fries. Wife puts salt on everything, I put pepper on almost everything.

Thanks.

What are vinegar fries?

I think I agree with you about pepper, I try to put pepper on a lot of things (vegetables, etc.)

Arun:
I may have misled you. Just french fries with white vinegar sprinkled on them along with some salt. Like you would get at an amusement park back in the day complete with a wooden 2 prong fork to go with the fries in a paper tray. (Rocky Point, Freedomland, Revere Beach, Nantasket Beach) Easy to find in eastern Ontario, but here in LV, they look at you crazy and bring Malt vinegar or sometimes an oil/vinegar mix. When they bring that stuff, we move on to ketchup instead.

Back