Thanksgiving Socal Style - Hair Dryer Saved the Day - huh?

Steve_Williams

TVWBB Fan
Hi all,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day. We did!

I tried smoking a bird for the first time this year. Usually, I rotisserie turkey but WSM would make it even better. I used a recipe from the TVSM and I appreciated to sites information and help for me - great job Chris and forum members.

I used to no brine salt method. I used high heat. No water and foiled bowl at 330'F.

IMG_1010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For the first two hours the temp held fine. But then the temp dropped below 300. I think the high heat method burned more fuel and I was running low. I was not sure what to do. I decided I needed more fuel and put more unlit charcoal in the smoker. That did not change the temps. Some quick thinking and put the wifes hair dryer to work. On low air/no heat mode I started pointing the dryer in the vent hole. Perfect tool!

The temp went back up and I stopped cooking with an internal of 160'f on the breast. Saved by the hair dryer!

IMG_1016.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1013.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Plated - sorry a bit blurry. I guess I was hungry.

IMG_1020.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Thats a sharp plated pic! :cool: Thats how i would have looked at it after 6+ beers. Quality eats right there bro!

Good looking bird and plate. Nice save with the hair dryer. I would think that is a WSM mod as long as your wife agrees to sharing it:)

The bird looks great!!!!

But I think you may need to buy a new hair dryer. I did that once and my wife used it the next day and when she got to work she was told she smelled like smoke.

Great color on that bird! That skin looks like you could eat it like a potato chip.

Glad you got it done. Hair dryer is genius. Aren't people paying $100s+ for temperature controlled fans??? ha!

Great looking bird and nice save, I always over load on my fuel and shut it down when the cook is over.

Looks really good. I smoked our turkey on the wsm also and had problems getting the temps up to 325-350. Started with a full weber chimney of blazing hot coals over unlit coals and the temp just would not get there even with all of the dampers wide open. I added more lit and propped the access panel open a little and that resolved the problem. Seems to me I remember people putting the access panel upside down and propped open but I couldn't figure it out and just propped it open upright. The water pan was empty and lined during this cook.

I have been there done that with the hair dryer. now you know what you got to do? Go get a BRAND new hair dryer as this one smells of SMOKE... Then keep that ICE as needed....

Back