Thanksgiving Recap: Two Spinnin' Boids

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
The rotisserie got a good workout this weekend!

Thursday's gobbler was a 16 pound fresh/natural turkey that was treated to Alton Brown's honey brine. I had trouble getting it balanced, but the motor kept on chugging. Click on the picture to see the video.

I wanted to try something new, so I also made up a batch of Alton's "root vegetable panzanella" to roast under the turkey and catch all those delicious drippings:

The Performer was running 350-375 without a problem and the internal temps were well into the "done" range (172 in the breast, 185-195 in the legs & thighs) in just 2.5 hours. The skin softened up during the 1.5 hour rest/transport to dinner, but the meat was absolutely fabulous and the carcass made 3 quarts of the best damn turkey stock I've ever tasted.

Today, I cooked another, smaller (12 pound) turkey for 2nd Thanksgiving. This one was dry-brined, again using one of Alton Brown's recipes. I think flavor-wise, it was just as tasty as the wet-brined one, but the texture was less mushy, though still tender. For some reason, the same setup (two charcoal baskets with a water/drip pan in the middle and a few small chunks of apple and cherry and the lower vent open 1/2 way) was only giving me 325-350 today. So, even though it was a smaller bird with less water weight, it still took a little over 2 hours. It probably could have used another 20-30 minutes, but it was done enough to eat for me.

Looks Awesome Chad, and I just noticed where you are at! Believe it or not I grew up in Southampton, PA....Small world!!!

Nice "whirlibirds" Chad!

I'm LUVIN' my Roti / Performer setup
Now that TG is past - I'm going to snap-up a couple of birds when they go on sale and cook-up some good, cheap yard bird.
I'll have to look-up those recipes.
How did the Veggies / Stuffing turn out? Did you leave it in there the whole time, or take it out after a while?
(I would worry about it becoming over-saturated with fat, but maybe toikey ain't as bad as chicken.)

Great looking birds there Chad. Don't know why we don't make turkey more often. Got to get a CB roti for my Performer.

How did the Veggies / Stuffing turn out? Did you leave it in there the whole time, or take it out after a while?
(I would worry about it becoming over-saturated with fat, but maybe toikey ain't as bad as chicken.)

It was OK. It's basically 1.5 pound each of rutabega and parsnips, neither of which I've ever eaten or cooked before, some red onion, shredded brussels sprouts, garlic and red wine vinegar. Toward the end, you stir in some stale sourdough bread cubes, which soaks up a lot of the liquid. I was surprised that sitting right between two baskets of charcoal for over 2 hours, the rutabega was quite firm at the end. Not raw, but not very tender, either. I kind of liked the flavors - very earthy - but the texture was too "al dente" if you know what I mean. If I make it again, I'll dice the veggies smaller and stir them more often (which was a little tricky with the bird still spinning above).

Marvelous job on those turkeys Chad. That root vegetable panzanella looks and sounds fantastic also. Going to take a look at that.

Looks great! Just use a stronger motor, Thursday morning I rotisserie'd two 16lb at the same time so 32lbs total and it ran smooth as silk. Oh also used a thicker 1/2 spit rod because it would've been too much weight for a 5/16

Rutabaga is a tough one, they are too hard right until they are just right and about thirty seconds later, they turn to mush.
My grandmother used to love them, my mother was from Wisconsin, she liked them but thought of them as cattle feed. I am not a big a fan but, every once in a while, I really want some! Now, parsnips are a different story, sliced fairly thin and gently fried in butter to a lovely golden hue, they are vegetable candy!

Back