Temp Probe in Ribs for Doneness

Morrey Thomas

TVWBB Super Fan
Does anybody know a good doneness target temp that a food probe will read when inserted in the meaty portion of a rib? I mainly target the ribs doneness when meat will bite cleanly off the bone with some slight resistance. But certainly not falling off the bone.

For sure, the real test of doneness will be a toothpick inserted, tear test, bend test, etc. But for the sake of argument, I would like to put my Maverick probe in the meat to get in the ballpark so I don't have to be pulling the lid off to lose heat until needed.

I don't think it has been done before.
I know how my wsm behaves and have an idea when to check ribs to see if they are done. I open 2 times Max.

Hate to generalize but no one does this.

If you've maintained the temps 225/275, first check (bend test, meat-pulled-back) should be at 4 hr mark. That's if it's a straight (ie no foil) cook. As Tony says, 2 peeks-->first as a preliminary and second (20-30 min later if needed depending on first peek) to take 'em off.

Ribs are done when you can stick a probe through the meat and it goes in like a warm knife through butter.

Morrey, you can use a target temp for ribs. I have used it on loin backs and spares. The temp is 205*. Jester

Morrey technically the ribs are done at 145 internal temp but will not be tender. After you hit the 145 mark cook to tender it may be 180, 185, 190, 195, 200, 205. Usually probe tender will be between 190-205.

I use the bend test to tell when mine are done. But I suppose if you want to use the temp guage, feel free - That's the beauty of BBQ you can do it however you feel comfortable.

Last edited:
Yes, all ribs are different. I cooked two St Louis slabs yesterday and Thermapened them when they hit the right spot for me. One slab was at 192 and the other was 195. I like my ribs to come clean off the bone, but still have some bite thru resistance.

I had never thought about rib temps like I do for butts as an example. Advice was on target. Thanks!

Well I never tried to check T on ribs! Just the bent test. But I suppose the IT check looking for 195-205 F range should be much more accurate.
I'll try next time for sure!

as others have said , temp is not the test , but for giggles I have probed around with my thermapen and felt like they were close at 195-200....in fact , the thermapen probe is an excellent tool to probe for tender with. so its a dual purpose test.

Last edited:
Precisely, Frank! I learned long ago that the REAL test of any meat is how it feels when the probe is inserted. The Thermapen probe is ideal. One of my most important pieces of equipment.

Back