Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
I decided to reward myself with a good quality coffee maker after completing our kitchen remodel myself. Although I already had a decent coffee maker and a decent conical burr grinder, I had been routinely searching FBMP for a Moccamaster. Well I found a person selling a new one...actually two new ones, never opened. Although she was selling locally, I messaged her to ask if she would ship if I paid all shipping costs. She agreed. The first one arrived via UPS two days ago. The second one is in transit. So today or Monday. $222 each including shipping!! I bought one for each house. Currently, I'm using two identical Motif Essentials coffee makers. Again, one for our beach house. They are rebadged Melittas that are quite popular in Europe but not sold in the USA. They brew a great pot of coffee to the SCA Golden Cup standards. But the Moccamaster is the Holy Grail of coffee makers! The bonus is each one comes with a pound of whole bean coffee, a box of #4 filters and a package of descaler. I have the Baratza Encore grinder in our primary home and I recently bought a Delonghi Ariete grinder for the beach house. The coffee in the morning is worth every penny spent on this gear.

Attachments

• 20220113_153203_HDR.jpg
    20220113_153203_HDR.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 63
Welcome to the club. I've had a Moccamaster for many years, use it everyday. Makes great coffee.
Also have a couple nice Baratza grinders I bought when I was making espresso. The Encore was my first decent grinder before I went down the rabbit hole with making espresso at home, then the grinders got more expensive

Last edited:
I picked up a Moccamaster Grande CDT (big stainless thermal insulated carafe.) It didn't take us long to cause ourselves problems with the manual pour stop on the bottom of the basket. But, with a 7-8 minute brew cycle..... now that I have a basket without the pour stop..... we don't care. With this pot, we've never used the pour stop, and with the old 20+ minute cycle, we used it fairly regularly.

And it does make a stinkin' good cup o' joe.

Been drooling over a Moccamaster for years. Have been through the gambit of wannabes. Used Bunn for many years. Love the speed BUT, I don't think regardless of what Bunn says they keep the water truly in that 195 to 205 range in the tank. My measurements have always come in in the 185 to 190 range. By the time it reaches the basket, too cool for proper extraction and WAY too fast. So found an Oxo Barista Brain. Gotta say I think it would give the MochaMaster a run. Water gets to proper temp fast, brews within time frame it should and temps of brew water stay right in the zone. But the carafe itself poor at best. Leaks at the seam so there is this dirty yukky drip on the outside of the carafe. Oxo, once replace the carafe and another time the whole machine including the carafe. To date it had been and still is the standard by which I judged a great cup. But the leaking ugh. So read up on Zojirushi. Found a very nice Zojirushi and my take. One the company recommends using only about half the coffee SCA recommends. Tried that the brew was just hot brown acidic water. Went to the amount recommended by SCA and much better but NOT up to the Barista Brain. Using it (the Zojirushi) until I can sneak a MochaMaster in without wife going nuts. I think the issue with the Zoji is the basket type filter basket unlike the Barista Brain which uses a cone type filter. Seems the best machines use cones.

I picked up a Moccamaster Grande CDT (big stainless thermal insulated carafe.) It didn't take us long to cause ourselves problems with the manual pour stop on the bottom of the basket. But, with a 7-8 minute brew cycle..... now that I have a basket without the pour stop..... we don't care. With this pot, we've never used the pour stop, and with the old 20+ minute cycle, we used it fairly regularly.

And it does make a stinkin' good cup o' joe.
The two I bought are the Moccamaster 89912 CDGT. I'm OK with the auto stop drip basket. It makes a 48oz carafe of great coffee in the time it takes to walk the dogs in the morning. 81Qx-iaHbXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

How actually long is that? I really want to know. As I am truly considering pulling the trigger on one

Been drooling over a Moccamaster for years. Have been through the gambit of wannabes. Used Bunn for many years. Love the speed BUT, I don't think regardless of what Bunn says they keep the water truly in that 195 to 205 range in the tank. My measurements have always come in in the 185 to 190 range. By the time it reaches the basket, too cool for proper extraction and WAY too fast. So found an Oxo Barista Brain. Gotta say I think it would give the MochaMaster a run. Water gets to proper temp fast, brews within time frame it should and temps of brew water stay right in the zone. But the carafe itself poor at best. Leaks at the seam so there is this dirty yukky drip on the outside of the carafe. Oxo, once replace the carafe and another time the whole machine including the carafe. To date it had been and still is the standard by which I judged a great cup. But the leaking ugh. So read up on Zojirushi. Found a very nice Zojirushi and my take. One the company recommends using only about half the coffee SCA recommends. Tried that the brew was just hot brown acidic water. Went to the amount recommended by SCA and much better but NOT up to the Barista Brain. Using it (the Zojirushi) until I can sneak a MochaMaster in without wife going nuts. I think the issue with the Zoji is the basket type filter basket unlike the Barista Brain which uses a cone type filter. Seems the best machines use cones.
I've read good things about the Oxo coffee makers and their burr grinder gets good reviews too. My son-in-law has the Oxo burr grinder and he makes a drinkable cup of joe...but is really a rookie at it.
I read about the Zojirushi...interesting company. Would seem they would have more models given their history.
The Motifs that I bought for $50 off morningsave.com make great coffee. But I know they're not built like the Moccamasters. I'll clean them up, store them as spares in each house as a backup to the Moccamasters.
Of course the most important component is the coffee itself.
Our tastes don't get more exotic/expensive than what Costco has to offer. Peets Major Dickason roast, Mayorga Cubano roast and and Kirkland Colombian Supremo...all fit the bill. Picked up a bag of Boyers Mash Up at Sam's Club a few weeks ago and it was quite good too...but it was a temporary item evidently. So UPS is delivering the second Moccamaster today AND....a bag of coffee from a local roaster...Pike Creek Roasters...it's 15 degrees here this AM... supposed to get a little snow tomorrow. Great day to spend indoors drinking good coffee!

I tried that Mash Up and was extremely disappointed. Our Costco has no dark roast coffee (except for Starbucks) and I don't like their coffee. It all tastes "burnt" to me. Even lighter roasts. The Zoji is "OK" at best. It does not brew like the Oxo. But the quality of the hardware is so much better. If I could use my Zoji, carafe with the OXO brewer it would be perfect

I tried that Mash Up and was extremely disappointed. Our Costco has no dark roast coffee (except for Starbucks) and I don't like their coffee. It all tastes "burnt" to me. Even lighter roasts. The Zoji is "OK" at best. It does not brew like the Oxo. But the quality of the hardware is so much better. If I could use my Zoji, carafe with the OXO brewer it would be perfect
From what I can see, the Mash Up comes in a variety of blends. I bought a bag of Brazilian, Honduran and some other country roast. It was acceptable but not remarkable.
You are right about Costco and dark roast...none. All medium roast. I've also learned not to roll the dice and experiment too much when Costco gets a new coffee. Same with Sam's...I tried the Don Pablo Signature...pure garbage. Seems better to just stick with what we know and like.

That looks like a really great machine, Jay!

If anyone else in my house drank coffee, I might consider going back to an electric. As it is, I love my single cup method in my Aeropress @ 2 cups a day. As for beans, I just started roasting my own again in a popcorn air popper......really enjoying some light/medium roasts on beans from Costa Rica.

.....and, I'm with Bruno, I want a beach house (and a lake house, and......) :)

R

Living the good life!! I want a beach house!
We bought it 12 years ago. Didn't realize at the time how quickly the values would increase...turned out being the best investment we ever made. $450,000 in 2010. $1.1 million in 2022. 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, big kitchen, deck...and a pool. 30 yards from the bay. 7 blocks from the ocean.

Back