Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

My OXO Brew-8, right around the same wattage, drops the outlet voltage from 122.7 down to 120 whenever the boiler kicks in...just for your reference.

If you go search the home-barista.com forums as well, you can find numerous threads on the moccamaster and shower screen mods etc.

Relevant --> ? https://www.home-barista.com/brewing/shower-head-insert-for-technivorm-moccamaster-t75507.html

Here's a pricey little upgrade I saw in a Youtube video....

https://www.artisansmith.com.au/products/shower-head-for-moccamaster
I've seen this gizmo. Some Aussie dude created it. Clever idea but isn't there some temperature loss without the brew basket cover and what effect does that have?

My OXO Brew-8, right around the same wattage, drops the outlet voltage from 122.7 down to 120 whenever the boiler kicks in...just for your reference.

If you go search the home-barista.com forums as well, you can find numerous threads on the moccamaster and shower screen mods etc.

Relevant --> ? https://www.home-barista.com/brewing/shower-head-insert-for-technivorm-moccamaster-t75507.html

Here's a pricey little upgrade I saw in a Youtube video....

https://www.artisansmith.com.au/products/shower-head-for-moccamaster
OK well 2 things. My brewer and it's supply voltage are running normally, and the existence of the thread with that insert shows I am not the only one not happy with how it tunnels into the brew basket.

OK well 2 things. My brewer and it's supply voltage are running normally, and the existence of the thread with that insert shows I am not the only one not happy with how it tunnels into the brew basket.
No. No doubt the drip pattern on your machine is problematic. I guess the question is...why it is with some and not others?

No. No doubt the drip pattern on your machine is problematic. I guess the question is...why it is with some and not others?
Yeah, it really puzzles and disappoints me. Maybe MM doesn't anticipate people not making full pots every day? But from looking at so many things online of people wanting that improved it's not just me.
Another thing I discovered today. MM at 40oz water recommends 69 grams off coffee. Breville 66. Yeah only 3 grams difference but I thought Gold standard (which both claim to do) was the same across the board. Anyway I brewed 40oz water this AM, and saw this so decided to use the 69 in the Breville. Not sure if or how different it was :D
Anyway, Breville, perfect brew pattern with what to me looks like perfect "agitation".

20231206_061845.jpg

Yeah, it really puzzles and disappoints me. Maybe MM doesn't anticipate people not making full pots every day? But from looking at so many things online of people wanting that improved it's not just me.
Another thing I discovered today. MM at 40oz water recommends 69 grams off coffee. Breville 66. Yeah only 3 grams difference but I thought Gold standard (which both claim to do) was the same across the board. Anyway I brewed 40oz water this AM, and saw this so decided to use the 69 in the Breville. Not sure if or how different it was :D
Anyway, Breville, perfect brew pattern with what to me looks like perfect "agitation".

View attachment 83212
I grind 7 scoops of beans. Some scoops are bigger than others...heaping vs level. I think it's in the range of 75 grams. But I'm brewing a full pot every time...42 ozs.

I grind 7 scoops of beans. Some scoops are bigger than others...heaping vs level. I think it's in the range of 75 grams. But I'm brewing a full pot every time...42 ozs.
That may be why you're seeing a fully wet bed? IDK. Honestly my only complaint so far on the Breville is the carafe does not keep the coffee hot. This AM I did try the coffee pretty much right after the brew cycle and it was every bit as hot as drinking Joe from the MM. But and 80 min later? Had to slightly warm it 20 sec in the Capt. Mike (microwave). I tasted it as "just warm" prior to Mike getting it. I noted as well the whole character of the taste changed. Hot out of the pot, it was really good but a little "sharp". After tasting it from sitting 80min it was much more full flavored, richer tasting. Really quite good. After Mike got it. It again tasted like hot out of the brew cycle. Very interesting and something I never noticed from the MM. As even lukewarm it tasted the same.

I always make a full 40 oz. pot.

I've settled in on 75g for 40oz. If I want it stronger ( say for Irish coffee ) I'll bump it up to 80g or 85g

I don't know how to compare grinds as I'm sure there are some variances across grinders. I have not modified the factory adjusters on my Virtuosa+ and found 17 works best for my taste. ( 17 on a scale from 1 to 40 )

've settled in on 75g for 40oz. If I want it stronger ( say for Irish coffee ) I'll bump it up to 80g or 85g
For the CDT Grand we have, it's 100 grams per 2 quarts of water. We weigh the grounds and have ourselves pretty well calibrated for long to run the grinder.

Secondarily.... for folks who don't like strong coffee, make strong coffee and dilute to taste after brewing. Don't use less coffee to make a weaker brew, you'll get undesirable flavors from overextraction.

Someone on this thread recommended these "If You Care" filters from Sam's club. So, I am down to about 1/3 box of those German ones I bought. So while at Sam's I looked for them and sure enough they had them. I sure hope they're really good because I was hoping for something packaged better. Just 2 large shrink cellophane wrapped of 200 each. Online the description said there was 2 boxes inside of 200 filters each.
I sure hope they work well enough to offset the packaging. They look promising though. I may just keep the dispenser box from the German filters and reload as needed :D

Someone on this thread recommended these "If You Care" filters from Sam's club. So, I am down to about 1/3 box of those German ones I bought. So while at Sam's I looked for them and sure enough they had them. I sure hope they're really good because I was hoping for something packaged better. Just 2 large shrink cellophane wrapped of 200 each. Online the description said there was 2 boxes inside of 200 filters each.
I sure hope they work well enough to offset the packaging. They look promising though. I may just keep the dispenser box from the German filters and reload as needed :D
That was me. Packaging is humble but the filters are quite good. Heavier than the Technivorms which are made by Filtropa.

Yep humble is an understatement but from what I see they look quite good. At least as good as my new fav right now which is those German ones I linked at an earlier post. I also love the way they're boxed. In a manner that if you store them in your cabinet they dispense VREY easily, unfold into place nicely as well. Though just a tad on the "spendy" side being about $9 for 120 of them. I do like the price on the IYC filters through Sam's though. $8+ for 400 is a good value.

Yep humble is an understatement but from what I see they look quite good. At least as good as my new fav right now which is those German ones I linked at an earlier post. I also love the way they're boxed. In a manner that if you store them in your cabinet they dispense VREY easily, unfold into place nicely as well. Though just a tad on the "spendy" side being about $9 for 120 of them. I do like the price on the IYC filters through Sam's though. $8+ for 400 is a good value.
I don't know which brand are made in Deutschland. Melitta is a German company but filters are made in the USA I believe.
The Technivorm Moccamaster brand are made in Holland by a company named Filtropa. I found them ok but a bit flimsy...but the box is handy same as the Melitta box.

Well since I did a different water filter supply now for drinking and coffee, this AM I did a full reset on the Breville. Setting water hardness lever up to level 4 (since it's artesian type water supply, and I run it through 2 carbon block filters I set it to level 4 (one step under the hardest 5 setting). Then for giggles and grins I did a nice grind of 70 grams of the Columbian Supremo Med/Dark from Sam's, and set up "My Brew" setting to 205 brew temp, 30 sec bloom time, and slow water flow. Good cup but I think just a touch over extracted.. Was not quite as smooth tasting as same brew but on Gold setting. Still a good cup though. (all on 40oz of water)
Oddly I noticed like the Moccamaster (which is also Gold standard brew type), on Gold setting it does not do a "bloom" cycle. So just like the Moccamaster and the OXO Barista Brain which is also Gold ACA standard brewer. None of them do a bloom for Gold type coffee.
I found all also tended to keep peak brew temps as close to the 195 to 200 range only occasionally peaking briefly to 201-202 but staying right in the 198 range.
Really the only time the MM would "bloom" is when I manually forced it to, by manually holding in the safety switch and allowing about 8 to 10 oz of water to fill the basket, so at least I could get my $$$ worth out of the coffee I buy. Rather than tossing grounds only partially wetted/brewed.
And in order of how good the coffee is...................I would still have to rate the OXO #1 the Breville #2 and the MM #3. Understand these ratings are all VERY VERY close.
Now that is rated basically as "hands off" brewing. IOW, I grind, fill and turn on allowing a brew cycle.
If I "bloom" the MM the ratings change (just a little). Still OXO just squeaking out a #1 and Breville/Moccamaster tied at a VERY VERY tight #2. Again, so close as to be almost a 3 way for "best". Sadly again, it's just too bad OXO builds such great products but so poorly.
So here if I rated build quality (now don't shoot the messenger), I would rate Breville #1, MM #2 and OXO a distant #3. And the reason for that? The Breville is really "built". It's heavy and very solid. Nothing on it feels "flimsy" or rube Goldberg. Everything clicks into place, and fits together perfectly. The MM, has all these little "bits and pieces" like the plate under the carafe, (just a piece of plastic easily misplaced or lost, the silly cover for the brew basket, and so on.
Re, the OXO, beautiful machine and on a first glance better build than MM, but unfortunately not put together well enough to simply "hold up" for much more than a few months before things begin to leak, and become messy.
Anyway just my "observations" after owning all 3 products now.

Back