T-Bones & taters

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
Found some good looking T-bones on sale at that famous French grocery pronounced Kru-gere for $5.99/lb., which was about as cheap as I could find. Even chuck eyes (they rarely carry them) were more than that when I asked the clueless young butcher, who I'm not sure that he knew what I was asking for.

I salted them with Kosher salt for 30 mins, then rinsed, dried and rubbed 'em with granulated garlic and white pepper. Also wanted some grilled taters, and I decided to cook some extra for work the next day, so I seasoned them with some BBQ 3000 and some Pam butter spray.

OK, let's start the show...

Now, you kids play nice together. You both have different diet requirements today, so I don't want to hear anybody fussin' about RO lump vs. KBlue. Threw in a couple of pecan chunks for flavor.

0424121825.jpg

Had to remind the budget committee that there will be times when I need more than one grill at the same time, this being one of those days.
icon_cool.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Started the T-bones indirect on the Performer with the taters.

0424121827.jpg

When the taters were good & brown, I stacked them in the skillet to finish up and stay warm. The steaks still look a little apprehensive about their impending trial by fire and they were in no hurry to brown on the much cooler indirect fire.

0424121829.jpg

I finally tried the "chimney as sear burner" with some RO lump as fuel. As you will see, it gets pretty darn hot... surely hot enough to give a nice sear and create those drawn-on looking grill marks that you people seem to be so fond of. I'd say that 800° grate temps should be good enough. About 3/4 chimney of RO lump and the party was off to a roaring start.

0424121833.jpg

Can you hear the sizzle? couple of minutes on each side and they were done.

0424121840b.jpg

The all important rest phase. Had to take a minute to throw a little salad together with some homemade vinaigrette.

0424121845.jpg

Here's your plate. Enjoy!

0424121856a.jpg

These were juicy, cooked just right and had a touch of smoke flavor too. This has to be one of my favorite meals to cook and to eat too. Thanks for looking.
icon_cool.gif

That was a Really Fun lookin meal. Great stories have great grill marks errr I mean endings.

Great grill marks and cooked to perfection. How'd you fit those monster steaks over that little chimney?

Nice cook Jim! Steaks looks perfect!!! I'm thinking I will have to discuss that thermometer with my budget committee!

[IMG:top]
42fb2f1c.jpg
[/IMG]

Love it!!!

I have really been procrastinating about making my dad some t-bones. They are his favorite steak and I need to get on it. I just hope mine look as good as yours.

Thanks for the kind words everybody! This is a favorite meal for the fam and I love to cook this when I can. They deserve it.

@ Lampe - I cut off the strip because that was all I wanted. Working on there being less of me to love. so I have cut down on portion size at every meal. That also gives you a nice lunch the next day. Nothing like making co-workers a little jealous and stretching a meal a little farther, especially with meat prices going up like they have.

@ Morgan - that IR thermometer came from Harbor Freight. If there isn't one in your neighborhood (AK, IIRC), then you should be able to order one on the interwebz. They will have a coupon sometimes that reduces the cost to around $25-28, so they are very affordable.

@JimK - I centered them as best I could on the chimney and they barely fit. Cooked them one at a time, then back onto the Performer indirect just to keep them warm. They were some really big t-bones!
icon_cool.gif

Back