Sunday yard bird

MikeB

TVWBB Fan
Hi All.
It's been a while since my last cook post. I bought a new house and haven't done much cooking. I haven't gotten the gas line run yet so the Genny is just huddled under the cover out back.
Memorial Day weekend was three days for me, and I wasn't on call, so Sunday was a good day to drag the smoker out of the corner:

Had a donated chicken thawed and ready to go.
Found this at WallyWorld and figured why not give it a try for an impromptu-no-prep smoke:

Not bad actually for an over the counter flavor.

I've never been a fan of cooking a hot can in the chicken's butt. I found this porcelain "can" substitute at Fleet Farm, another why not give it a try moment:

Filled it with a 50/50 mix of lemon juice and chicken broth.

Rubbed a little lemon pepper under the skin, an early glaze coat of the new to me sauce and away we went:

Applewood chips made for a decent smoke for the late, second coat of glaze:

About four hours of cook time total. Turned out quite good. Nice and moist with a solid smoke flavor and decent taste from the glaze.
I'll try that sauce for a glaze again next time I don't feel like making my own. :)

Now I need to get the plumber over here to get the gas line hooked up. I would do it myself but if the house blows up the insurance company can go after the plumber instead denying a claim from doing the work myself. ;)

That yard bird looks yummy as heck. How was the lemon juice/chicken broth, lemon pepper rub, and smoky barbecue sauce combo? Looked delicious!

That looks delicious and the conbo you used on the bird sound interesting. Glad you were able to get a cook day in, enjoy your new home.

Last edited:
That's some good looking bird, Mike! I've got a couple of similar ceramic "chicken stands", and prefer them to the can as well. Certainly more stable! I still put beer in them, though, usually with some of the rub that's on the bird, and a cut up lemon or orange.

Rich

Excellent cook! I've got the Weber insert for the gourmet systems that doubles as a veggie basket that works pretty well.

Nice cook Mike, like the looks of that stand, looks a lot more stable than the metal ones I tossed years ago.

Back